• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SC318250

Will more be coming north on Friday or was that path a precaution in case they werent ready to come north tonight?
Thanks in advance

Class 170101

Established Member
Presumably 110 mph upgrades if Hynes is alluding to linespeed increases.

In general there are many significant drops in permitted speed between Bishopbriggs and Haymarket. It's 50 up Cowlairs, then up to 60, 70 past Eastfield then up to 85. The maximum of 100 applies from Bishopbriggs to the Falkirk Tunnel, then 95 through the tunnel, back up to 100, 90 over Polmont Jcn and through Polmont, back to 100 for a bit, then down to 90 again. 100 through Linlithgow, 80 MU 90 from Winchburgh Jcn to the tunnel, up to 90 all trains through the tunnel, 80 SP 90, then up to 100 right through Newbridge Jcn, through Edinburgh Park to just before Haymarket West. Down to 80/90 there, then 40 into Haymarket station.

So perhaps some of the 90 sections could be increased to 100, I'm not sure you could increase the limits out of Queen Street that easily.

Is there not an issue with increasing about 90mph? I seem to recall discussions about the issues of running at 90mph but that they increase significantly if you wish to run at 100mph.

Those speeds raising to 100 / 110mph aren't likely to save you much time though. Raising the lower speeds higher however would probably be a more worthwhile investment.

In terms of braking and signal spacing I seem to recall the MML had speed limits raised (upto 125mph) because the braking of the Meridians was superior to the traction that had gone before and that they could stop in the same distance as older traction used to do. Perhaps some of this may be possible on the Scotrail network.

Clansman

Established Member
Refitted 385004 posted on Twitter by Richard Clinnick...

Attachments

• DdWOE8vWAAIQgyE.jpg large.jpg
    DdWOE8vWAAIQgyE.jpg large.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
Do we know if that is the Italian or Belgian solution, or indeed if they are different in approach (this one being an attempt to flatten the windscreen, the other possibly an attempt to correct the optics or some other trickery?)

Do we know if that is the Italian or Belgian solution, or indeed if they are different in approach (this one being an attempt to flatten the windscreen, the other possibly an attempt to correct the optics or some other trickery?)
As it says in #2186 one end is Italian and the other Belgian.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Is there not an issue with increasing about 90mph? I seem to recall discussions about the issues of running at 90mph but that they increase significantly if you wish to run at 100mph.

Those speeds raising to 100 / 110mph aren't likely to save you much time though. Raising the lower speeds higher however would probably be a more worthwhile investment.

In terms of braking and signal spacing I seem to recall the MML had speed limits raised (upto 125mph) because the braking of the Meridians was superior to the traction that had gone before and that they could stop in the same distance as older traction used to do. Perhaps some of this may be possible on the Scotrail network.

The HSTs can also run at 125 on the MML now, this is done with HST differentials. HST differentials are found on much of the Edinburgh-Aberdeen line and between Larbert and Stirling nowadays. They used to be found on the Edinburgh and Glasgow as well bit were removed by about 1993.

Well, for the increase from 90 to 100 in 1979 on the Edinburgh and Glasgow all I believe was done was the addition of HST speed boards originally for HSTs and later for the 47/7s. The increase to 90 in 1972 was down to an earlier resignalling which gave signal spacings suitable for 90 mph running though this was done while the linespeed was still 75.

If that's the AWS sunflower still slap bang middle right, that's a pity.

Its not the AWS sunflower - that is located on the dash next to the TPWS panel.

I suspect it is a pod for an in cab facing camera (no camera fitted and our Company Council reps will NEVER EVER even contemplate talks with the company over that issue. In cab CCTV is a red line that ASLEF wont be crossing) that has been fitted to future proof the cab. I may be wrong, but I firmly believe thats what the pod on the right hand side of the screen is for.

Its not the AWS sunflower - that is located on the dash next to the TPWS panel.

I suspect it is a pod for an in cab facing camera (no camera fitted and our Company Council reps will NEVER EVER even contemplate talks with the company over that issue. In cab CCTV is a red line that ASLEF wont be crossing) that has been fitted to future proof the cab. I may be wrong, but I firmly believe thats what the pod on the right hand side of the screen is for.
I believe the pod you speak of is a cab air conditioning outlet. Traditionally such things were called ball vents but I do not know what the correct name of the modern equivalent is where you press one side and the vent opens.

I believe the pod you speak of is a cab air conditioning outlet. Traditionally such things were called ball vents but I do not know what the correct name of the modern equivalent is where you press one side and the vent opens.

definately not an aircon vent - it has glass or clear plastic on it
Screenshot_20180518-162752.png

Sorry to say that it definitely is the air con vent, same design as on class 395 and class 800 series trains

my bad, you're right. Just had a more awake look at it. Not the most ideal place for one given the already cramped window space.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In the car parts world I've seen them described as "rocking vane air outlets".

LowLevel

Established Member
The same silly paranoia that went on when the GSMR was fitted. The little clear lens was a camera; to spy on you, to get you sacked bla bla bla. ...... it's the light sensor for the display brightness. <sigh>

I don't get the camera thing anyway. I'm a guard. All of my trains and most stations are fitted with CCTV. It's helped far more of us than it's hurt.

I don't get the camera thing anyway. I'm a guard. All of my trains and most stations are fitted with CCTV. It's helped far more of us than it's hurt.

The CCTV in passenger areas is first and foremost for safety and security. The aim of in cab CCTV is purely to assist management in disciplining drivers. As Drivers, we already get monitored by On Train Data Recorders from the second the driver puts his key in. With the aggresive management in some areas of ScotRail I can envisage them taking great delight in trying to "do" drivers for all sorts.

Fleetwood Boy

Bizarrely when I saw it, it looked as if they were trying to either couple or uncouple to an adjacent 380. A bit odd. They aren’t compatible are they?

SC318250

385004 was out on test between Glasgow Central and Paisley Gilmour Street Monday and Tuesday evening

Planned to be out tomorrow evening also

Thursday 16:31 departure back to Edinburgh from Shields, before doing mileage accumulation from Edinburgh

a_c_skinner

Established Member
One assumes the new windscreen is OK? It would be fairly easy to get a good preliminary indication by looking through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.