• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
In fact ScotRail tweeted yesterday they have 60 Class 385s in service, so that would leave 10 units to go.

InOban

Established Member
Scotrail has been tweeting that there are 60 in service, leaving 10 to arrive, or if already here, to enter service.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Looking at RTT, the last train from Edinburgh (23.47) is a sprinter.
Yer 158s over the Benhar road are 2Y76 0559 Motherwell - Edinburgh Waverley, 2Y88 2116 Glasgow Central - Edinburgh Waverley and 2Y69 2255 Edinburgh Waverley - Glasgow Central.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Just got on my first 385 while up here for work. Only Edinburgh waverly to Edinburgh Park, hoping to do all way to Queen Street when back up here later in the month.

Nice interior, seats seemed okay for journey but are a bit firm. Overall impressed felt and looked the business as a new train.

kilonewton

Sorry, didn't get the number, but the 385/0 on the 10:45 from Waverley to Queen Street this morning was very clean on the outside and had “new train smell” on the inside. I wonder how long that lasts in full service?

Ben Conlin

Do you think all of the Lanark services will be operated by 385s after all of the deliveries are complete?

SC318250

I have just updated the Scot-rail formations as 385040 went into service yesterday, so 61 delivered and 60 in service

Ben Conlin

Who knows , pretty sure i seen a single 320 on the 1450 today
From what their twitter says 3 of the 4 services on the line should be 385s. From what I’ve seen I believe the services leaving central on even hours at :50 are the old stock yesterday was a 320/4 and 318 combo

CEN60

From what their twitter says 3 of the 4 services on the line should be 385s. From what I’ve seen I believe the services leaving central on even hours at :50 are the old stock yesterday was a 320/4 and 318 combo

16:50 on Thursday 30/05/19 was the 320/ 318 combo.

Steven_G

385001 pictured awaiting delivery at Newton Aycliffe.

Incredible rate of assembly. Must have 4-5 sets on the go at any one time. Even then it’s 1 set a week coming out.

InOban

Established Member
They haven't delivered any for three weeks, AFAIK. It would be nice to have the final nine in Scotland.

snookertam

I think there's only 5 class 314 diagrams left so would that account for the remaining 385 diagrams to be introduced, allowing for four units on maintenance?

EDIT: I realise the conversion programme is done now, but I'm wondering if they could have done with a few more class 320/4 units.

Last edited:

Mingulay

Does anyone else find that there is often quite a delay opening the doors on a 385 at stations. Particularly at the start and end of a route? Tonight must have been nearly a minute or more once stopped at Stirling station before doors open. Sounds trivial but if your in a rush feels more like 3 mins. As it turned out Dunblane train cancelled as was Dundee train. Some breakdown apparently at Larbert. Lift home! That's Friday and Monday no train travel due to a break down!

snookertam

At intermediate stations the driver opens the doors, I think at terminal stations it is the conductor who opens the doors as they do on other units. I saw the conductor on an Edinburgh to Queen Street service opening the doors at Haymarket also, it's possibly similar at Stirling as it is a main station.

If a conductor follows the door opening process correctly, they should open their local door (the one they are operating the doors from), step onto the platform and check the train is fully on the platform, then open the rest of the doors. This may be the reason for the delay.

This obv doesn't apply to Driver Only Operated routes from Glasgow Central, where there is no conductor.

InOban

Established Member
There's another path from Dollands Moor tomorrow. Presumably the final units from Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.