• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alangla

Did the 318s get accessible mods?
All have megabogs and the revised seating for the wheelchair & bike spaces near the megabog. The interior spec is pretty similar to the 320, albeit both retain their original seats. One day they might even get the power sockets to work...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
All have megabogs and the revised seating for the wheelchair & bike spaces near the megabog. The interior spec is pretty similar to the 320, albeit both retain their original seats. One day they might even get the power sockets to work...

Wasn't sure if they'd modded the 318s or not like the 320s.

Sickandtired

Seven more then. Cheers.
They need a lot more than they are waiting on to provide a service. 7.57 fg to ep was half registered length at 3 carraiges and standing room only. The 8.08 had 4 carraiges, one of which both doors were out of order. Is that not a health and safety issue?

Sickandtired

Just to chime in (no pun intended!) on posts over the last few days - I too am becoming much more fond of the 385s. Their acceleration and speed are tremendous and they are for the most part a quiet and comfortable train to travel in. My gripes are minor, for the most part I think we've got a good piece of kit that'll do us well in the long term. Once we head up to 8 cars on the E&G line we'll be sitting with a very impressive service which I would imagine many cities down south would be envious of!
Only if u are travelling on e-g via fh. Then the aervice is palacial. Dunblane to edinbugh is still poor.

InOban

Established Member
I assume that with platforms 2,3 OOU this month they're having to make much more use of 1, which has a 4 coach limit?

Highlandspring

Established Member
Indeed but Annieslands are terminating/starting at Ashfield and the Edinburgh via Cumbernaulds are terminating/starting Springburn, which takes some of the pressure off.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Indeed but Annieslands are terminating/starting at Ashfield and the Edinburgh via Cumbernaulds are terminating/starting Springburn, which takes so,e of the pressure off.

So they've cut back 4 departures/arrivals per hour from the High Level to manage things?

InOban

Established Member
It will be worse in September when they close 4 and 5. At least just now half the population are on holiday.

Steven_G

If 2/3 back in services at new length then the capacity constraints in Sept could be eased with Front/Rear arrangement on 2/3

NotATrainspott

Established Member
If 2/3 back in services at new length then the capacity constraints in Sept could be eased with Front/Rear arrangement on 2/3

Is that possible when a good number of services will be too long to be doubled up? 7-car 385s or any sort of HST set can use up basically all of the platform length available.

kidman123

Indeed but Annieslands are terminating/starting at Ashfield and the Edinburgh via Cumbernaulds are terminating/starting Springburn, which takes some of the pressure off.
Ideally what they should do is have Edinburgh to Glasgow via Cumbernauld as a low level service to say onto balloch if that will be viable as the class 334 would have to go via Falkirk grahamston and don't know if the 334 is certificate for the trains via grahamston

CM

Ideally what they should do is have Edinburgh to Glasgow via Cumbernauld as a low level service to say onto balloch if that will be viable as the class 334 would have to go via Falkirk grahamston and don't know if the 334 is certificate for the trains via grahamston

I pretty much doubt the people who use the service from Queen Street to Cumbernauld would appreciate returning to the farce that had units coming up from the low level and having to reverse at Springburn.

CM

They need a lot more than they are waiting on to provide a service. 7.57 fg to ep was half registered length at 3 carraiges and standing room only. The 8.08 had 4 carraiges, one of which both doors were out of order. Is that not a health and safety issue?

Why would it be a health and saftey issue?

kidman123

I pretty much doubt the people who use the service from Queen Street to Cumbernauld would appreciate returning to the farce that had units coming up from the low level and having to reverse at Springburn.
I've never been on a edi to gla via Cumbernauld before so I don't know about the movements via springburn. Does the HL trains go through and would it not make scence to terminate the edi trains at Cumbernauld and have the passenger connect to the low level for Glasgow when the works are taken place

RLBH

Could temporary buffers be put in on 4/5 to allow the outer ends of the platforms to take 3 cars during the works? I suspect not, or else it would probably be being done for 2/3.

mcmad

The engineering trains take the full length of the platforms. Theres a double headed (2 x Colas 56) in Platform 3 just now.

CM

Having both doors on a train that do not open in case of an emergency.

If both doors on a carriage are out of use then normally the whole carriage is locked out of use and not accessible to passengers. That would mean there is no saftey issue.

Mingulay

Only if u are travelling on e-g via fh. Then the aervice is palacial. Dunblane to edinbugh is still poor.

Why do you feel the Dunbane service is still poor. I’m thinking it’s good now compared to the poor service before. Timetable could be better but in terms of seats and reliability and it’s a wee tad faster it’s better ?

route101

Established Member
I've never been on a edi to gla via Cumbernauld before so I don't know about the movements via springburn. Does the HL trains go through and would it not make scence to terminate the edi trains at Cumbernauld and have the passenger connect to the low level for Glasgow when the works are taken place

Better for them to connect at Springburn as the low level service from Cumbernauld is hourly around the sticks to Glasgow Central low level. As they do , it makes more SENSE !

Not that you would get many doing that connection.

Sickandtired

If both doors on a carriage are out of use then normally the whole carriage is locked out of use and not accessible to passengers. That would mean there is no saftey issue.
Well in this case they were both out of use and the carraige was in use. So i would say we have a safety issue. Agreed?

Sickandtired

Why do you feel the Dunbane service is still poor. I’m thinking it’s good now compared to the poor service before. Timetable could be better but in terms of seats and reliability and it’s a wee tad faster it’s better ?
Compared to before it is better. There is still an issue with capacity however. Esp com8ng home from ep. I am sitting at fg awaiting the 7:57 to ep. It keeps getting delayed further.

Status
Not open for further replies.