• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Franchise - Abellio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotTrains

It will be interesting to see how empty First class is tomorrow since they've withdrawn the advance club. It was normally pretty empty anyway. Really hope they bring it back!

Failed Unit

Established Member
It will be interesting to see how empty First class is tomorrow since they've withdrawn the advance club. It was normally pretty empty anyway. Really hope they bring it back!

Me too. But it was a little to easy to join. (With no renewal criteria) so I can see why it is gone. Most loyalty schemes I use are getting worse.

Butts

Veteran Member
Me too. But it was a little to easy to join. (With no renewal criteria) so I can see why it is gone. Most loyalty schemes I use are getting worse. ?????? nectar, BA and east coast to name 3.

I certainly wouldn't pay to go in first unless the service is standing. I can buy the tea and paper for less if the train isn't that busy. Just go in the front 3 and wait for the gaurd to upgrade.

Seemples.....just catch the 1718 from Falkirk Grahamston to Glasgow Queen Street any weekday and you can ride 1st Class for Free as the service is not meant to convey such a section.

Often get a free Scotsman or Evening News into the bargain. :p

me123

Established Member
An Edinburgh to Glasgow Stations Routed Not Falkirk period return would definately sell.

I'd agree that we don't need to exclude routes for a period return.

Let's have a day return (as currently priced at £12.60) and a period return (let's say £18 - it should be dearer than a day return but cheaper than two singles). I don't think it'll cause confusion, it will cater to both markets, and will encourage people onto the trains. Ticket sellers will ask passengers when they want to return (as they do now with peak/off peak returns), and ticket machines could be set up to ask the same question. And let's not limit it to Glasgow-Edinburgh: other long distances such as Elgin-Aberdeen only have day fares. And on the other side of the coin, Dundee is crying out for a day return fare.

Sadly, in the name of simplification, I doubt that the people in charge will go for two different priced tickets.

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
Seemples.....just catch the 1718 from Falkirk Grahamston to Glasgow Queen Street any weekday and you can ride 1st Class for Free as the service is not meant to convey such a section.

Often get a free Scotsman or Evening News into the bargain. :p

While the 1715 Glasgow - Edinburgh via Falkirk has no first class at all as the have it formed of 2 sets without it.

Butts

Veteran Member
While the 1715 Glasgow - Edinburgh via Falkirk has no first class at all as the have it formed of 2 sets without it. ????????????

I wonder why the 1718 from FKG to GLQ is "GLQ-EDB via High standard" Service with 1st Class both ends.

Normally you get a crap "chugger" on this route, but a few months ago it switched for no apparent reason. I thought it was a one off but it has continued every time I have caught it. (the 1718).

Failed Unit

Established Member
To be fair the 1715 does normally have one of the sets with 1st, but it is surprising how many times I get a unit with no 1st on the E&G - when I have an East Coast and connections advance. It does make you wonder how they have daigrammed a set without first on a route that advertises it and one with 1st on one that doesn't.

TheEscapist_

To be fair the 1715 does normally have one of the sets with 1st, but it is surprising how many times I get a unit with no 1st on the E&G - when I have an East Coast and connections advance. It does make you wonder how they have daigrammed a set without first on a route that advertises it and one with 1st on one that doesn't.

You're under name name is 'failed unit' surely you would maybe think that a unit failed and another without 1st has been brought in instead of cancelling it?

Failed Unit

Established Member
You're under name name is 'failed unit' surely you would maybe think that a unit failed and another without 1st has been brought in instead of cancelling it?

On the Edinburgh - Glasgow no real issue. On services to Inverness / Aberdeen very possible, but so is a set swap. Easy for me to say but on day 1242 Glasgow to Aberdeen was a standard only set, 1248 Glasgow - Dunblane one with first. Swap them. (Ok maintenance cycles may prevent this).

I guess this will get worse now scotrail have 4 sets less. (Unless they will fit more 170s with 1st)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
presumably the three car AT200s (do these have a class number yet?) will be standard-only whilst the four car ones will have 1st? I know operationally it's better to have a common fleet, but E-G via Falkirk High really should revert to having a dedicated fleet.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A single is about the same price as an off-peak day return (IIRC, £25 for two singles?). I think the boundaries for period returns are a ridiculous idea. I know this was all in the name of simplification...

I'd like to see them introduce more options, and Edinburgh-Glasgow is a key route that I'd like to see it happen on. I don't think it makes things too difficult having a day return or a period return.

The lack of period returns on relatively short distance flows (around 35 - 50 miles) is not really a product of 'fares simplification', IIRC it was done fairly widely under BR. Clearly Edinburgh to Glasgow is at the higher end of the range though.

The usual 'difficulty' is that there is a real risk of people using short distance period returns repeatedly until checked.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The lack of period returns on relatively short distance flows (around 35 - 50 miles) is not really a product of 'fares simplification', IIRC it was done fairly widely under BR. Clearly Edinburgh to Glasgow is at the higher end of the range though.

The usual 'difficulty' is that there is a real risk of people using short distance period returns repeatedly until checked.

But the flexi-pass has exactly the same problem.

route:oxford

Established Member
Hold your horses.....<D

One routed via Falkirk will be just fine thank you !!!

A period return to Edinburgh Airport, route Edinburgh Park, incorporating a return tram ticket would be very convenient indeed.

I know I can preorder tickets online and collect them before I travel as well as use the TfE android App to buy tram tickets.

But, in practice, I really want just one combined ticket that I can purchase from a machine at Edinburgh Airport, disembark at Edinburgh Park, board a train at Edinburgh Park and reach Stirling spend a few nights and do the return journey.

me123

Established Member
A period return to Edinburgh Airport, route Edinburgh Park, incorporating a return tram ticket would be very convenient indeed.

I know I can preorder tickets online and collect them before I travel as well as use the TfE android App to buy tram tickets.

But, in practice, I really want just one combined ticket that I can purchase from a machine at Edinburgh Airport, disembark at Edinburgh Park, board a train at Edinburgh Park and reach Stirling spend a few nights and do the return journey.

Wholly agree. I'd like to see tickets to Edinburgh Airport route: +tram, and to Edinburgh Trams route: not Airport to link in with the tram line.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Not on Glasgow to Edinburgh as there are barriers at both ends. Your ticket will be gobbled up.

po8crg

Liverpool-Manchester is a relatively similar journey (similar sort of distance, also between two cities, lots of commuter services as well as express limited-stop, multiple routes) and there are both day returns (£17.60) and period returns (£19.40) on that route.

nidave

Interesting.. When GTR replaced FCC we were all told to do essentially what Scotrail staff have been told (I assume we were probably wearing either the same or very similar First Group uniforms).. Some people went a little de-branding crazy and cut, coloured in or taped over every trace of First and that "F", the rest of us decided not to waste our time and simply covered any visible logos up with name badges or hi viz vests as necessary..

Then again we are luckily supposed to be getting new uniforms soon - and not before time as everyone's uniforms are starting to look a little worn seeing as hardly anyone has been able to get any replacement uniform for nearing a year now..

The company can get a dispensation from the HMRC and pay any tax required on behalf of the employees. Christmas parties / events over 10k are taxable and employees are supposed to complete a P11D - however most companies pay this on behalf of the employees. The tax thing is a non issue as the accountants should be aware of this and have had discussions with the HMRC - especially as its only for a short amount of time.

387star

On Moderation
Do ex hull trains 170s have the saltire interior now? Is the buffet ever used?

What do the ex south west trains and alphaline units look like now? I understand they all mostly have chapman seating but have they been touched much internally?

jonnysr

The Hull Trains buffet has never been used on ScotRail services, always been shutter down.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
making it a not inconsiderable waste of space- that could be better to put to use as passenger accomodation

Failed Unit

Established Member
I think they used it when they were on the Inverness routes. But now I am very surprised it hasn't got removed like on other turbos that don't need it. 1st has gone.

The 158s have all got chapman seats, in the old scotrail colour scheme. Externally the are saltiare. The 2x ex SWT still have kept their 1st but it is declassified. Best seats in Scotland.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I am led to believe that the Haymarket 158s are all slowly getting Saltired but they could all do with a gød refurb! The hull trains buffets were indeed used on Inverness turns, quite amazed it hasnt been taken out myself.

clc

Established Member
I've noticed a lot of new Smart ticket validators at stations in Glasgow and on the Oban line. Does anyone know when these will go live?

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
The Hull Trains buffet has never been used on ScotRail services, always been shutter down.

Not quite true. I was on a Glasgow-Inverness train a good wee while ago operated by a Hull Trains unit, and the catering trolley broke (I think a wheel snapped off or something?). So the very sensible lady broke into the buffet and set up shop there. A much better solution than blocking a door. I was really impressed by her ingenuity, and was tempted to write to Scotrail complementing her (although I didn't as she'd probably have been disciplined).

So they've used it at least once, albeit unofficially - and they probably don't even know. Of course, it's officially been locked out of use ever since Scotrail have had them.

Last edited:

thealexweb

If travelling on a smartcard and your Scotrail service is delayed, how do you apply for compensation. Also how are returns on unused tickets handled?

Failed Unit

Established Member
Not quite true. I was on a Glasgow-Inverness train a good wee while ago operated by a Hull Trains unit, and the catering trolley broke (I think a wheel snapped off or something?). So the very sensible lady broke into the buffet and set up shop there. A much better solution than blocking a door. I was really impressed by her ingenuity, and was tempted to write to Scotrail complementing her (although I didn't as she'd probably have been disciplined).

So they've used it at least once, albeit unofficially - and they probably don't even know. Of course, it's officially been locked out of use ever since Scotrail have had them.

It was a lot more offical that that a few years ago, they wanted to offer a better level of catering on the service, hot bacon rolls for example. I am not quiet sure what happened in the end. I did hear the lack of bike space was a problem with the units (2 versus 4). Not sure if availability was also an issue as they need to make sure that 3/4 units were on the line daily and stuff happens. One of the diagrams it used to use is now a 4 car 158. :p

Still now the 1st class is gone totally, I am still amazed the buffer survives, that must be at least 16 seats gone so the seating capacity isn't much better than a 156.
I've noticed a lot of new Smart ticket validators at stations in Glasgow and on the Oban line. Does anyone know when these will go live?

In Scotland the smart cards are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. They only allow season ticket holders to speed up their journey. They have to tap in and out (why I don't know as a season ticket holder doesn't normally). I know that season tickets wear out, but they are certainly not using the technology to the potential.

For example no attempt was made by first to use the fraud magnet flexi-passes on the system. If they did the fruad would be gone instantly. Don't tap in? Pay full fare on the train! Don't tap out, the ticket is gone anyway because you tapped in. (or you can't get out the station at Edinburgh / Glasgow terminals). I will also make happier customers who don't need multiple bits of card or need to engrave the ticket with a date!

jingsmonty

Was handy for dumping the odd extra bike into...1st class was,woefully inadequate though, only had 7 or 9 seats,if i remember right, on the Inverness trains a few year's ago..

Roll on the HSTs, can't wait to see the 1st one ex works in saltire livery and with power doors...will have to be at least one set ready well before Dec 2018, for staff training purposes..

Blindtraveler

Established Member
170s, Buffet, First, Bike space or not is not and never was suitable a run to Inverness. If the rumours about our HSTs being delayed as a result of GW Wires also being late are indeed true, I hope the HML Workings get priority as the sets come into traffic. Aberdeen, whilst again not being great on a 170 is certainly more bearable and does have the choice also of 4 VTEC HSTs a day.

It was a lot more offical that that a few years ago, they wanted to offer a better level of catering on the service, hot bacon rolls for example. I am not quiet sure what happened in the end. I did hear the lack of bike space was a problem with the units (2 versus 4). Not sure if availability was also an issue as they need to make sure that 3/4 units were on the line daily and stuff happens. One of the diagrams it used to use is now a 4 car 158. :p

Still now the 1st class is gone totally, I am still amazed the buffer survives, that must be at least 16 seats gone so the seating capacity isn't much better than a 156.

Reduced 1st class capacity (And possibly std) was what eventually brought about their demise on the Inverness route.

The reason the buffets have been retained is because the leasing company would not allow their removal. Presumably they see value in retaining them for a future leasee (Scotrail only has them for another 2 years or so). Reinstatement of first class will not be difficult, it only involves reinstating the vestibule doors and seats after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.