• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Franchise - Abellio

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicholasNCE

I thought the Abellio brand would be mostly hidden from view and occasionally referred to. No, just as bad as before with the TOC brand everywhere.

Just walked through Queen Street, very little reference to Abellio apart form these specific signs at the entrance.
The staff badges and High-Vis don't have any Abellio marking.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
Why is the BSO in the middle of the train?

Are they different coaches being used than the maroon liveried ones? Ex virgin or something?

Anyone know if Scotrail trains in First livery will be debranded completely like AGA 360s or is there a rapid repaint planned? I appreciate most of the 170/4s won't be repainted as they are not due or are not staying in Scotland

I'm looking forward for work beginning on the 156s and Haymarket 158s presumably a completely new seating layout with new seating etc

If anyone has a list of trains known to be staying in Scotland and those leaving would be great

Bodiddly

I have just been looking at some more photos of 68006 on Flickr. Does anyone else think that the 68 is the perfect shape for the new Saltire livery?
Makes you wonder if DRS were thinking ahead when they ordered them! :D

jopsuk

Veteran Member
How are they inside? I heard bad things about the DBS stock, is this in better condition?

WhiteJoker

Surprisingly some people (and a newspaper) in the Netherlands are complaining Abellio (which is part of the Dutch national railways) are spending Dutch tax payers money by giving away those tickets. They seem to forget that those entities are completely separate and the fact that the NS is fully privatised (though it does have the Dutch state as it's only shareholder).

fgwrich

Established Member
How are they inside? I heard bad things about the DBS stock, is this in better condition?

They should be in better condition - DRS has had all the Mk2s undergoing overhaul and repaint visiting Eastleigh Works also receiving an interior overhaul - some of them needed even more so having spent several years in store at BH and NH for Grand Central, including the re-instatement of the corridor gangway on the ex FGW BSO (FGW removed these and blanked them off during Motor Rail days).

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

In fact, looking at the coach numbers - the majority of these Scottish Mk2s are made up of an ex Riviera bunch - Ex VT, Anglia and ATW Mk2s, with further Ex VT & FGW ones to come and / or in the reserve rake.

Last edited:

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Still not working for me, even when I go through Firefox rather than Chrome. Frustrating.

www.scotrail.co.uk has not been working today for a number of people. I haven't been able to get back on since about 5 pm. The free ticket offer probably hasn't helped.

Attachments

• scotrail.jpg
    scotrail.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 24

NotATrainspott

Established Member
I've had no problems accessing the ScotRail website. Since the site is now hosted by Abellio's servers rather than First Group's, it's possible that some DNS records haven't been updated yet.

NicholasNCE

I get the new site via scotrail.co.uk however scotrail.com seems to still be registered to First Group and shows up the old site.

po8crg

If you're having trouble, try ipconfig /flushdns to clear the cache. If that still doesn't work, then you'll have to wait for your ISP to catch up.

me123

Established Member
^True, might start booking my tickets elsewhere. But my first impressions of the website are otherwise positive. At least, now that I can get onto it.

The free tickets are a nice gesture, and they're certainly grabbing people's attention. No tickets available any more that would benefit me, but I can't say I"m going to start moaning about it! Some people really do need to get a grip...

Last edited:

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
The website seems to be working reasonably well for me today apart from a security warning from Firefox (but not from Safari) when trying to buy tickets or register an account.

Attachments

• untrusted.jpg
    untrusted.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 49

Gadget88

So when the £5 advance between Glasgow and Edinburgh coming in? Is it £2.50
For half way like from Linlithgow?

me123

Established Member
I wasn't aware there were plans to introduce Advance tickets on this route? It's a high frequency route with lots of commuters and high demand. People expect a turn-up-and-go service, and I can't imagine many wanting to restrict themselves to a particular service on this route. Particularly for the marginal savings involved (£12.60 off peak return vs £10 return using 2x£5 single tickets - I'd probably pay £2.60 more for a bit of flexibility).

I know they've been talking about £5 singles between Scottish Cities, but I was under the impression they meant longer distance routes (Aberdeen, Dundee, Inverness).

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'd guess that the £5 singles will be on the routes that will be operated by the HSTs in due course- whilst obviously Glasgow & Edinburgh (and Stirling!) are some of the "Seven Cities", they'll be operated by high capacity EMUs not "intercity" stock.

What I would love them to do is to sell returns Glasgow to Edinburgh with the return valid for a period of time, I always use the bus because of this, £11 return vs 2 singles at Christ knows how much these days.

physics34

Established Member
the 4 170s moving to southern, it looks like will be on the move tomorrow morning to Stewarts Lane.

387star

On Moderation
Looks like ALL First branding including pink and white stripes is being removed from first liveried trains as this video shows at the 14:55 mark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zQb8UdK-rbU

Unclear if they are to put the trains in scotrail vinyls yet.... Presumbaly an easy process as the first blue isn't a million miles away drom scotrail blue

Those in First livery are a handful of 170s (all 170/4 units which probably won't be kept) and a large chunk of 156s and all 158s

me123

Established Member
What I would love them to do is to sell returns Glasgow to Edinburgh with the return valid for a period of time, I always use the bus because of this, £11 return vs 2 singles at Christ knows how much these days.

A single is about the same price as an off-peak day return (IIRC, £25 for two singles?). I think the boundaries for period returns are a ridiculous idea. I know this was all in the name of simplification, but it disadvantages people on middle distance routes, where there are a mix of people going for a day and staying for a few nights.

I'd like to see them introduce more options, and Edinburgh-Glasgow is a key route that I'd like to see it happen on. I don't think it makes things too difficult having a day return or a period return.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Abellio website clearly states they'll introduce standard class fares between ANY two Scottish cities starting at £5. First class fares starting from £7.50 on the same routes.

http://www.abellio.com/news/abellio-awarded-contract-operate-scotlands-national-railway-scotrail

True, but I'm not entirely convinced that they will introduce advance fares between Edinburgh and Glasgow. The trains are already busy throughout the day, it is a turn-up-and-go service and is used as such. And the engineering work over the coming few years is going to make the trains busier and less attractive for a while.

There is simply neither the capacity for advance tickets on this route, nor the demand.

Unless there's going to be a super-off-peak ticket to target the really quiet times, but I doubt that'll happen either. Or perhaps a route Shotts/Carstairs/Airdrie ticket at £10 return? (Or they could reduce the fares to £10 return, but that'll never happen!).

Status
Not open for further replies.