• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Wow, I didn't realise these were retained - I think they look much nicer than the LNER seats, but are they comfier?
By far the most comfortable seats on the network in my view. A massive retrograde step for GWR First Class as these trains get replaced, but very much Scotland's gain.

The HST GWR configuration in Standard is terrible by contrast, rows and rows of airline seats with minimal legroom under dystopian ultra white LEDs, thankfully that's been sorted out for Scotrail's sets.

I don't think that it's any exaggeration to say that Scotland will have the UK's most comfortable trains once the job is complete.

Northhighland

without thinking about the running & conversion costs, would it be feasible eventually (ie fitting in the stations, keeping to time) for all five* routes to use 2+6 sets?

*five routes:
Edinburgh-Aberdeen
Edinburgh-Inverness
Glasgow-Aberdeen
Glasgow-Inverness
Aberdeen-Inverness

Think before making the trains bigger it is important to increase the frequency. An hourly service form Perth to Inverness would be a great start with obvious connections to Edinburgh and Glasgow. This would be a huge improvement in connectivity and would lessen the pressure on the services. Also the 170's being kept will as I understand mean extra services to Dundee and such places. That will reduce pressure on the intercity routes.

If they are reliable and there is no reason they wont, HST's will be a huge success when introduced. They are great trains and very comfortable. They will increase passenger numbers for sure, but before adding extra coaches I would be sorting out the frequency of the service.

Geoff DC

By far the most comfortable seats on the network in my view. A massive retrograde step for GWR First Class as these trains get replaced, but very much Scotland's gain.
I don't think that it's any exaggeration to say that Scotland will have the UK's most comfortable trains once the job is complete.

Quite Right: Scotlands gain Cornwall's loss - now 2hrs from Penzance to the English Border at Plymouth +3hrs then to Paddington all on a DFT specified Class 802 DMU with no buffet car

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The HST GWR configuration in Standard is terrible by contrast, rows and rows of airline seats with minimal legroom under dystopian ultra white LEDs, thankfully that's been sorted out for Scotrail's sets.

The horrid GWR lighting is fluorescents, not LEDs, though I agree it is absolutely awful. You can do bright cool white lighting without dazzling people, e.g. like the 350s.

TheMuttley

I couldn't help but feel a little smug at that comment (and the similar ones, after it), given all the comments about "England's cast-offs" etc. Well done, ScotRail, for making the best decisions in Scotland's interests, rather than getting hung up on who owned trains and when... :D

Last edited:

BRX

Established Member

Quite Right: Scotlands gain Cornwall's loss - now 2hrs from Penzance to the English Border at Plymouth +3hrs then to Paddington all on a DFT specified Class 802 DMU with no buffet car
Once those awful things take over the Highland Chieftain, I reckon I'll definitely move to opting for a change at Edinburgh onto a Scotrail HST, when I make any London-Inverness daytime trips.

On Moderation

802s are GWR specified, not DfT.

jopsuk

Veteran Member

the 802s ar First-specified, not DfT, and Cornwall's not been anything that can meaningfully be described as an independent country for longer than England has been a coherent nation, so there's literally never been a "Cornwall-England" border

InOban

Established Member
Duplicate posts are frequent. Done it myself. Four times is a record!

To get on thread, the refurbished HST has reached Aberdeen this morning. Picture on Scotrail Twitter.

Second sentence should be ignored. Oops

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Duplicate posts are frequent. Done it myself. Four times is a record!

To get on thread, the refurbished HST has reached Aberdeen this morning. Picture on Scotrail Twitter.
I'm looking at Scotrail twitter, and the only pictures from Aberdeen are off the first Turbostar arrival from Dyce post-engineering work

Journeyman

Established Member
Looks good , hope theres some airline seating . Not everyone travels in groups !

From what I've seen/heard, there's hardly any, which personally disappoints me. I frequently travel alone and I hate sitting opposite strangers.

Highlandspring

Established Member
InOban said:

I'm looking at Scotrail twitter, and the only pictures from Aberdeen are off the first Turbostar arrival from Dyce post-engineering work

It's definitely still at Haymarket depot.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Conductor training will take place at Dundee yard and it will go to Craigentinny on the 27th and stay for a week undergoing baseline maintenance. After that it will be ready for service.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I saw pictures of the refurbished train heading north - I have to say they look smart.

From what I've seen/heard, there's hardly any, which personally disappoints me. I frequently travel alone and I hate sitting opposite strangers.

This is madness - What happens on a busy train when an awful stranger sits NEXT to you?

TheMuttley

Perhaps this is a result of the drive to better align "table seats", with windows, as per the 158 refits?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is madness - What happens on a busy train when an awful stranger sits NEXT to you?

I don't mind someone sitting next to me (in 2+2 seating or better) as they don't play kneesie with me while doing so. I too vastly prefer decently spaced airline seats when travelling alone. Airline seats also make more efficient use of the space because there isn't wasted[1] space between seat backs.

[1] Almost nobody ever actually puts luggage there.

Journeyman

Established Member

Not so much of a problem because I don't have to look at them, and don't feel they're looking at me. Also can be avoided completely by booking an individual first class airline seat. I think there's only one of them on a ScotRail HST.

Journeyman

Established Member
I don't mind someone sitting next to me (in 2+2 seating or better) as they don't play kneesie with me while doing so. I too vastly prefer decently spaced airline seats when travelling alone. Airline seats also make more efficient use of the space because there isn't wasted[1] space between seat backs.

[1] Almost nobody ever actually puts luggage there.

Oddly enough I recently had an argument with a really rude Australian couple who had decided to put a giant suitcase on the single airline seat in the first class section of a 170. They thought it was extremely unreasonable of me to expect them to move it, because I wanted to sit there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Oddly enough I recently had an argument with a really rude Australian couple who had decided to put a giant suitcase on the single airline seat in the first class section of a 170. They thought it was extremely unreasonable of me to expect them to move it, because I wanted to sit there.

I wouldn't have argued, I'd just have moved it myself once one refusal had been made. It is a clear breach of the NRCoT to put luggage on seats.

Journeyman

Established Member
I wouldn't have argued, I'd just have moved it myself once one refusal had been made. It is a clear breach of the NRCoT to put luggage on seats.

I did move it myself, which is what caused the argument! Their view was that other seats were available, but my view is that specific one is the one I want to sit in. I dumped the case in the aisle, expecting them to move it, which they eventually did...onto another seat.

ScotTrains

Can anyone confirm if the 1st class coach has a self service drinks/snacks area as per the plan. I couldn't see it on the video above.

mullac30

Can anyone confirm if the 1st class coach has a self service drinks/snacks area as per the plan. I couldn't see it on the video above.
I don't know but that video was taken of a GWR coach that hadn't gone to Scotrail, so it wouldn't have been fitted in that video anyway.

Rick1984

Almost nobody ever actually puts luggage there
Always amazes me. The amount of people that look around for somewhere to put there luggage. I saw a woman other day get somone to lug they're heavy case onto overhead rack when she could have put it between seats herself

route101

Established Member
Not so much of a problem because I don't have to look at them, and don't feel they're looking at me. Also can be avoided completely by booking an individual first class airline seat. I think there's only one of them on a ScotRail HST.

Yeah no problem with airline seats .
With a table you run a risk of a group sitting and being surrounding you .

Its First class that gets me . mostly bays of 4 or bay of 2 . Must be awkward eating first class/ brekkie with a stranger opposite , bay of 2 mores so , almost like at a restaurant with a stranger . Of course im being picky but i leave the tables for groups .

Journeyman

Established Member
Yeah no problem with airline seats .
With a table you run a risk of a group sitting and being surrounding you .

Its First class that gets me . mostly bays of 4 or bay of 2 . Must be awkward eating first class/ brekkie with a stranger opposite , bay of 2 mores so , almost like at a restaurant with a stranger . Of course im being picky but i leave the tables for groups .

Absolutely. I know a lot of trains recently have had too many airline seats and not enough tables, but I'd say a balance of about 50/50 is right, and I'm concerned the airline seat is disappearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.