• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Not sure what the proposals for line speed increases are, but this is definetly needed - the majority of the line East of the River Spey is 60/70mph, which isn't 'InterCity' standard - hopefully with all the track renewal that's gone on & still to be done, this will be addressed. Also, West of the River Spey, it's mainly 75mph, which may have the possibility of being increased in places. Who knows!
Signal sighting for Forres and Elgin was done on the basis of 100mph where possible.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotrailINV

Travelling from Inverness to Galashiels today and decided to take 1B31, the 12:55 Inverness to Edinburgh service, which was a Classic set as booked.

Train cancelled at Dalgety Bay at 16:40, approx. 40 mins late due to speedo issues. Conductor stated the speedo had given up the ghost as we crawled into Dalgety Bay where we were detrained.

That's all three HST services I have used on the Highland Mainline since introduction cancelled through the journey due to speedo issues!

chuff chuff

Travelling from Inverness to Galashiels today and decided to take 1B31, the 12:55 Inverness to Edinburgh service, which was a Classic set as booked.

Train cancelled at Dalgety Bay at 16:40, approx. 40 mins late due to speedo issues. Conductor stated the speedo had given up the ghost as we crawled into Dalgety Bay where we were detrained.

That's all three HST services I have used on the Highland Mainline since introduction cancelled through the journey due to speedo issues!

You'd have thought they could have detained at Inverkeithing .

Goldromans

Still no sign of any path out of wabtec today or tomorrow. Surely something must be planned for tomorrow (if the plan is still via Dundee) if Inverness are expecting the set by Wednesday?

ScotrailINV

You'd have thought they could have detained at Inverkeithing .

The guard mentioned over the PA about having no option but to detrain at Dalgety due to the issue. Worked out well for a handful of us as the next Edinburgh boung train from Dalgety was the Tweedbank service we were planning to catch from Edinburgh.

The ECS movement from Waverley to Haymarket Depot, 5B31, that would have been my train 1B31, appears to have arrived at Haymarket Depot at 19:23, 149L. Does anyone know if it made it there under its own power or was dragged?

Highlandspring

Established Member
The ECS movement from Waverley to Haymarket Depot, 5B31, that would have been my train 1B31, appears to have arrived at Haymarket Depot at 19:23, 149L. Does anyone know if it made it there under its own power or was dragged?
Under its own power.

InvHst

Shouldn't have even had a HST on that today only ran as one since the 944 didn't run this morning due to the earlier disruption and the 1159 arrival from Edinburgh should have been a 170 but was cancelled at Perth

Highlandspring

Established Member
N48 is very heavily loaded from Stirling, it’s far better to run (late) as an HST than be caped.

Journeyman

Established Member
08.38 Queen Street to Aberdeen cancelled this morning due to train fault. It's meant to be an HST, but rarely is. Anyone know what failed?

Highlandspring

Established Member
2N48 0702 Perth - Queen Street failed at Dunblane with loss of air on 158726. The driver for 1A53 0838 Queen Street - Aberdeen travels as a passenger to Glasgow on that service, so was out of place and there wasn’t another driver available to cover it.

Journeyman

Established Member
2N48 0702 Perth - Queen Street failed at Dunblane with loss of air on 158726. The driver for 1A53 0838 Queen Street - Aberdeen travels as a passenger to Glasgow on that service, so was out of place and there wasn’t another driver available to cover it.

Ah, fair enough - an indirect knock-on effect, then.

jingsmonty

There's supposed to be a programme on the go to replace the ATP speedos that have caused all the issues, with speedos that work off an axle probe (as most other trains). Not sure how far on this is - I do know that it's quite an involved job to do.

Journeyman

Established Member
There's supposed to be a programme on the go to replace the ATP speedos that have caused all the issues, with speedos that work off an axle probe (as most other trains). Not sure how far on this is - I do know that it's quite an involved job to do.

Why the hell was it not done during the hugely lengthy delays this project has already faced?

Goldromans

There still doesn’t seem to be a path out of Wabtec for the new set. I know these can be created very quickly, but every other path for the refurbs have appeared by the evening before. Are they still running into issues?

jingsmonty

Why the hell was it not done during the hugely lengthy delays this project has already faced?

Because it was probably not seen as necessary. Anyway, the delays have been in relation to the coach refurbishments, not tbe power cars.

In hindsight, it probably should have been done. I also think the electronics upgrade should have been fitted as well, but that's an old argument

jingsmonty

Add life expired air system to the Speedo issues

I've personally never had any problems with the air system - I made it back with tbe training train one day when only running on 1 compressor! There have been some issues with the air system, in fairness.

It's been said that HSTs are more reliable when they are used regularly - here's hoping

Carntyne

There still doesn’t seem to be a path out of Wabtec for the new set. I know these can be created very quickly, but every other path for the refurbs have appeared by the evening before. Are they still running into issues?
It will likely be added to the system when it is ready to go. It is not done to provide advance information to enthusiasts!

route101

Established Member
To be honest, I was at first thinking of a day trip to Dundee by HST whilst on holiday in Edinburgh and Aberdeen whilst in Dundee.

However, I'll instead do Aberdeen whilst in Edinburgh and Inverness whilst in Aberdeen say 2021. That way, I get to make history by arriving into the most northerly city on an HST hopefully :)!

2021 thats forward planning eh

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
How many HSTs services are on the A to I line
There are a couple of HST trips. I'm not up early enough to see it, but I think the first train from Inverness to Aberdeen is supposed to be. I've seen HSTs on the last train for Inverness, but often it'll be a 170. 158s do the rest with an occasional 158/170 combo.

I noticed on Sunday that there were a few HSTs during the day too.

jingsmonty

To be honest, I was at first thinking of a day trip to Dundee by HST whilst on holiday in Edinburgh and Aberdeen whilst in Dundee.

However, I'll instead do Aberdeen whilst in Edinburgh and Inverness whilst in Aberdeen say 2021. That way, I get to make history by arriving into the most northerly city on an HST hopefully :)!

To be honest, if it's not specifically a Scotrail HST you're after, you could visit the most northerly city by HST right now, by catching the Highland Chieftain (12.00 London KX to Inverness)...it's been running since 1984.

jingsmonty

There are a couple of HST trips. I'm not up early enough to see it, but I think the first train from Inverness to Aberdeen is supposed to be. I've seen HSTs on the last train for Inverness, but often it'll be a 170. 158s do the rest with an occasional 158/170 combo.

I noticed on Sunday that there were a few HSTs during the day too.

Not sure about the morning departures West (I know the train that arrives into Inverness from Aberdeen is the HST set that is booked to form the 09.44 Inverness to Edinburgh). There are 2 towards Aberdeen (04.53 Inverness to Aberdeen, which continues onto Edinburgh & the 0554). I've been on 1H43 a few times lately (2156 Aberdeen to Inverness), which is booked an HST. Out of 4 trips, 2 have been HST & 2 have been 170.

Status
Not open for further replies.