• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
If a TGS is to be added then I hope the seating layout is the same (or even better than) on the CrossCountry TGS coaches - it's great having a table seat at the Guards Van end of the passenger area of the XC TGS coaches!

connormill

So 10 before Christmas might actually be realistic now.

And the delivery rate seems to have picked up, is this because Set 9 was held for so long that the gap between 9 and 10 looks shorter or is it because most of the GWR and XC work at wabtec is coming to an end so there are more staff available for the ScotRail work?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
If a TGS is to be added then I hope the seating layout is the same (or even better than) on the CrossCountry TGS coaches - it's great having a table seat at the Guards Van end of the passenger area of the XC TGS coaches!

With the ScotRail Mk3s having a lower density at 74 seats per TS, perhaps something similar to the layout of the EMR ones at 63 seats, or LNER at 65?

InOban

Established Member
IMG_20191221_184426.jpg Set 10 in Waverley this IMG_20191221_184426.jpg IMG_20191221_184604.jpg evening. Only just got it - arrived two hours ahead of schedule. I think the driver wanted his tea.
Pity they hadn't cleaned the power cars to match the coaches.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
View attachment 71818 Set 10 in Waverley this View attachment 71818 View attachment 71819 evening. Only just got it - arrived two hours ahead of schedule. I think the driver wanted his tea.
Pity they hadn't cleaned the power cars to match the coaches.

At least it's here though and that's nothing a run through the washer won't fix.

I wonder if this is the last set this year then or whether another set before New Year is possible?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Another set in 9 days seems unlikely anyway, especially as not all of that is operating days. Still - 16 sets by May supposedly

Dood75

43148 and 43026 shunting around this morning whilst awaiting the LNER tour.....stock off top of my head and viewed across the way from platform 0 at Donny was 40610 42551 42251 42252...at least I think it was

InOban

Established Member
I'm afraid I'm not a notebook guy, I didn't write down the coach numbers.

weatherman222

Clansman said:
Word is that TGS' are being looked at as the fifth coach so that bike and heavy luggage space can be extended.

I'd heard that, but hadn't seen it confirmed. It would be the most logical thing to do though. Also saves on two door conversions!
Scotrail tweeted to me last week that they are planning to double the "in carriage" bike spaces by adding 2 (instead of the extra 4 end to end power car spaces) which would lend credence to that idea

On Moderation
43148 and 43026 shunting around this morning whilst awaiting the LNER tour.....stock off top of my head and viewed across the way from platform 0 at Donny was 40610 42551 42251 42252...at least I think it was
Definitely not 42251 - that’s now 48135 with GWR.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Scotrail tweeted to me last week that they are planning to double the "in carriage" bike spaces by adding 2 (instead of the extra 4 end to end power car spaces) which would lend credence to that idea

You can get at least 3 in a TGS, so unless they are planning to add them in at the other end of the TSB vehicles, where the other toilet would be? Otherwise why only give 2 more spaces when 3 can be easily accommodated, more easily than 2 in the present spaces

Clansman

Established Member
Most likely they'd refurbish the TGS to accommodate 4 whilst removing the current one for usage as something else - trolley storage perhaps? Cant see them leaving the non public part of a TGS untouched if and when they get refurbished. Or converting the existing one to allow a sole larger bike, and leave the TGS guards area untouched?

Steven_G

It's a great idea to add fifth as the bike storage solution. Clearly the power unit end-to-end storage plan was shelved a while ago.

Any confirmation of this TGS carriage for Scotail?

Also, it's going to start causing capacity issues quite quickly. I know it's not a large part of the fifth carriage but it is a number of seats taken out of original capacity planning.

Options then are more sets or an additional carriage but I assume any future 6 cars is going to cause problems at some of the 7 city stations?

Goldromans

Clearly the power unit end-to-end storage plan was shelved a while ago.
I was under the impression that ScotRail were holding off putting bikes in the power cars until HSTs were up and running smoothly. Though perhaps someone on the inside has more information on this?

On Moderation
Also, it's going to start causing capacity issues quite quickly. I know it's not a large part of the fifth carriage but it is a number of seats taken out of original capacity planning.

Options then are more sets or an additional carriage but I assume any future 6 cars is going to cause problems at some of the 7 city stations?
It's not that many seats, really - just one window bay's worth, so around 10 seats. If they put a TGS in all 26 sets then that would be an increase in capacity on some services (and across the fleet as a whole) as the plan was for nine sets to be 4-car.

InOban

Established Member
According to ScotRail, all the listed trains are refurbished sets. Is that just 5?

BRX

Established Member
They really need to sort the seat reservations thing asap. You can't call it an intercity service if it's impossible to guarantee that you'll be able to sit down even with a pre booked ticket.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They really need to sort the seat reservations thing asap. You can't call it an intercity service if it's impossible to guarantee that you'll be able to sit down even with a pre booked ticket.

Doesn't matter now, they've abolished them "temporarily"

Status
Not open for further replies.