ScotRail "Inter7City" HST Diagrams

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by SWTrainspottin, 16 Oct 2018.

1. SWTrainspottin

SWTrainspottin Member

What do you mean no proper diagrams have been posted yet? I updated the OP with diagrams in April unless they're now outdated (considering the summer timetable has come into force).

2. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

I was led to believe that the diagrams previously posted were no longer reliably turning up HSTs after the May timetable change, so I tried to update things to reflect that. However, as there is still not a full slate if HSTs it's not particularly reliable.

3. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    May i ask about the current situation? I am in Soctland Tuesday/Wednesday next week. I arrive in Inverness off the sleeper at 0840 on Tuesday morning. What are my chances of getting an HST in the Inverness area that morning? I cant work this out! Is it random? Are they mainly focused on Edinburgh to Aberdeen runs?

My initial plan was to bail off the sleeper at Aviemore and wait for the Highland Chieftain back south towards Edinburgh and pick up a Scotrail HST at about lunchtime on the Aberdeen run.

4. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

ScotRail HSTs are focused on Glasgow/Edinburgh to Aberdeen. Highland Main Line services are a complete lottery at the moment. We get everything from 158 vice HST to HST vice MU. I type this on the 09:44 INV to EDB (running 170 vice HST).

Really, if it's specifically the HSTs you want, focus on the Aberdeen runs from Glasgow or Edinburgh.

5. louis97

louis97 Established Member

0944 Inverness to Edinburgh is on a 170 diagram today (HA791), not all trains currently timed for an HST feature on HST diagrams.

6. FelixtheCat

Not sure what you're saying here.

Either, not all services supposed to be HSTs actually are. I'm very aware of that.

Or, that timings are different to the actual diagrams. I'm also aware of this.

Seat reservations do not exist on this service because it was booked for something other than a 170 originally. I'm assuming HST given the timing load.

7. hexagon789

Afaiaa even HST-booked diagrams are still run to 170 timings so 170s can substitute without issue.

8. FelixtheCat

Sorry. By "timings" I meant "timed load". Sorry for the confusion.

9. hexagon789

That's alright, I thought you meant they'd started actually running the HST diagrams to HST timings (based on better acceleration), which I thought they hadn't yet. Presumably they won't until they have a full slate of sets.

10. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

cheers - i will head back to Edinburgh on the chieftain then unless the Scotrail twitter announces something different

11. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

What is the score with what they seem to be calling "classics"?

12. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Established Member

What do you mean?

13. hexagon789

If you mean what are they, the Classics are unrefurbished, still have slam-doors, don't presently have retention toilets (being fitted soon I believe), have no buffet and have the GWR high-density seating with few tables in standard class.

14. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

are they interchangeable in service with the "intercity 7" style trains? ( TBH i didn't realise Scotrail had taken un refurbished units!)

15. hexagon789

Most are unrefurbished presently. Though ScotRail are usually quite good at tweeting which services the Inter7City refurbished sets are on on the day.

16. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Established Member

In theory the two sub fleets are diagrammed seperately but in practice it depends on availability.

17. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Do they tweet which services are operated by "classics" or only those operated by the refurbished trains? I suspect only the later!

cheers

18. hexagon789

Occaisionally both, but yes - generally those which are Inter7City sets.

19. louis97

I'm saying that whilst the service may have originally been planned to be a HST, today it was booked a 170 and isn't 170 v HST as you stated.

20. route101

route101 Established Member

0741 from Queen St to Aberdeen yesterday (Saturday) , guard said no reservations due to a change from 3 carriage to 4 car. According to the diagrams its HST .

Another was a pick up only at Stirling on a Saturday morning !

21. louis97

Indeed, it was booked an HST. I think change of train type is just the go-to reason at the moment, because often the reservations are not setup correctly whether the train is booked HST or not.

22. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

Being pedantic, Scotrail only took on the low density sets.
    The high density sets were all retained by GWR, and are either off-lease or used on the 2+4 mini HSTs

Despite being unpopular on the forum, the high density seating was very good at swallowing huge crowds. I for one was very glad when a high density HST turned up on a busy service, as I was able to get a seat, if it was a low density set, or even a 2+9 LNER set (hypothetically) I would have been standing!

23. route101

I thought the classics at Scotrail are high density with mostly airline seating .

24. route101

I had no seat reservation , so was not bothered , means i can just jump on the train and take any seat without worry . On the return the seat reservations were all at one end of the rear coach .

25. cactustwirly

GWR had 2 seating layouts when the HSTs were refurbished about 10 years ago, low density for West of England services and High Density for services via Swindon.
    ScotRail only took on the former sets, which have more tables per coach, and therefore less seating capacity.

26. hexagon789

I thought they had the 84-seat high-density TS rather than the 80-seat low-density GWR ones?

And yes I would concede that the slightly higher seating capacity is useful ;)

27. cactustwirly

Nope they're all the 80 seat ones, they should all have 4 tables per coach.

28. hexagon789

Ah okay, either someone said they were the high-density trailers erroneously or I've simply picked it up wrong.

29. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

I’m planning on using an 8 Days in 15 Spirit of Scotland Travel Pass at the beginning of September. I’m travelling up from Nottingham to Inverness on Monday 2nd September and staying 7 nights in Inverness doing trips out from there on 6 days. Then travelling down to Glasgow the following Monday for a 3 night stay in Glasgow with 2 days travelling out from Glasgow hopefully to Mallaig and perhaps also Oban and Mull. Whilst in Inverness I will have day on the Far North Line and another day on the Kyle of Lochalsh Line. Therefore in addition to my journey to and from Inverness, 4 of my days will probably involve journeys on the Highland Main Line or journeys toward and via Aberdeen. Hopefully many of these journeys by September will be on HSTs and therefore I should have no problem finding a seat.

30. jingsmonty

jingsmonty Established Member

The 09.44 Inverness to Edinburgh Waverley is currently booked for a 170. If you want an HST, the 08.45 Inverness to Glasgow QS is booked an HST (and normally is).

Interestinly, the 15.54 Inverness to Edinburgh Waverley is booked a 170, but quite often sees an HST - at least 3 days last week. There was a refurbished set on this Yesterday