• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gedphones

Surely revision will be factored into trainees return. Traction and rules. More so traction as without any first hand train handling for over 6 months how can you be expected to remember everything?

Driver1122

Surely revision will be factored into trainees return. Traction and rules. More so traction as without any first hand train handling for over 6 months how can you be expected to remember everything?
As far as I’m aware, training school has be offering optional zoom class stuff to trainees. It may be the case you just ask your DI for help etc

kickin aff

The union have put something out saying that covid testing should be agreed shortly, all being well. Restarting training will be up to trainee and DI and testing will take place at Edinburgh, Glasgow and Perth.

Gedphones

Where did you see it mate? I'm in ASLEF but never seem to get any correspondence from them.

kickin aff

Union boy sent out earlier this afternoon. Training is optional, I assume this means an agreement between trainee and DI before restart.

hiall

Until Scottish government guidance changes and it is 100% safe to have for 2 in the cab trainees shouldn't be resuming their training.

kickin aff

Until Scottish government guidance changes and it is 100% safe to have for 2 in the cab trainees shouldn't be resuming their training.

It's not that straight forward in my opinion. Covid will not go away, its here for the long haul. The world has to continue and we have to find a safe way to work around covid.
From ASLEF's publication on 04/09 they appear to be finalising details around the testing in order to get trainees back.

Driver1122

Well thankfully to all, your not making those calls.

You have a company that can’t run a full service, which effects Scotlands Ecconomy.

You have football back/ boxing back. As long as the proper steps are in place this is safe to do so.

If you lived life on the “100%” safe movement, you’d never leave the house. Nothings 100%.

Going by past comments you’ve said; training is not happening (seems like it is to me)
Trainees should be worried about there jobs. (Yet many new trainees are away for medicals and have passed. Interviews start up again this week ?)

Last edited:

hiall

This thread gives me some laughs with the total ignorance and lack of knowledge on what's happening on the shop floor.

I have never said trainees should be worried about their jobs. That's a lie.

As far as training goes I have yet to speak one DI or DTM who is willing to get back into a cab with a trainee. Why would they if they don't have too? No one can be forced to break government guidance and put themselves at risk.

The other problem which has yet to be discussed is other drivers who will be refusing to take over trains that has been occupied with 2 people, doubling the risk of infection being passed on. It's a nightmare situation and everyone must Be kept safe regardless of any reason.

Byeall

On Moderation
This thread gives me some laughs with the total ignorance and lack of knowledge on what's happening on the shop floor.

As far as training goes I have yet to speak one DI or DTM who is willing to get back into a cab with a trainee. Why would they if they don't have too? No one can be forced to break government guidance and put themselves at risk.

The other problem which has yet to be discussed is other drivers who will be refusing to take over trains that has been occupied with 2 people, doubling the risk of infection being passed on. It's a nightmare situation and everyone must Be kept safe regardless of any reason.

We know the unions influence is strong but it does have it limits. With no inflow of cash and costs remaining the same, I would guess decisions will have to be made at all levels across the business.

Uk railway tocs are not immune to the covid economic damage that's occurring and will be no different to other businesses out there and anyone thinking different could be in for a shock.

You said it here Hiall. You caused unnecessary upset and unrest across the trainees because of this. It's pretty shameful that a fellow driver would do that.

Regardless if you like it or not, trainees are returning. We experienced guys should welcome out colleagues back with open arms. I, for one, will be. I know the majority will join me and do what's right.

Driver1122

Lack of knowledge and whats happening on the shop floor. I’m on the shop floor!!! I’m well aware there is challenges. They will be over come.

a few weeks ago you said training was done for the foreseeable future

there trainees that never stoped training! Up north so someone was in a cab with them ?

Two in the cab increased risk ??? What a stupid comment. Those are probably the safest people in the company, there tested! But you’ll take over from the driver out in the pub and away for a meal in his RDS ? Behave man.

There are trainees I believe very limited numbers out training/driving with their DI or a DI willing to take them out. They must be close to passing out or passed out

John Bishop

And Ive yet to speak to one who isn’t willing to get back to it. I would just stay at home if I was you, your drive to work is far riskier than getting in a cab at work Which you seem to be so concerned about.

Are you a DI?

Val3ntine

I can also confirm my TOC (London based) also has plenty of volunteer DI’s who are willing to take on trainees and have been for over 2 months now.
Don’t worry about the scaremongering potential trainees, your time will come try and take it easy for now until then, I know how eager you must be all to just get stuck in it!

I work in a north Clyde depot and most of the DIs there are saying they won’t be taking trainees out anytime soon and an even larger proportion of drivers, myself included, won’t be taking anyone on cab turns either.

I spoke to a company council rep twice over the weekend and he reiterated that it’s completely voluntary as to whether we allow anyone in the cab and he also confirmed that a lot of DTMs are saying they won’t be passing out trainees as they won’t be sharing a cab with them.

The vast majority of drivers that I work with are unwilling to share a confined space for any length of time with a complete stranger, you wouldn’t do it in your private life so I don’t understand why some people seem to be getting so upset about people refusing to do it while they’re at work.

Driver1122

Well my understanding is there is no more cab turns anyway.

As I said I know depots that have zero issues and will move quickly.

end of the day 2/3 years down the line, trainees will have the last laugh. They’ll come back when the vaccine comes next year, they’ll have stole a years wages sitting in the house. Enjoy it!

Last edited:

Gedphones

DTMs refusing to take trainees for assessment will be redeployed in another role and someone else will be given their job. Just something someone said to me. Probably b.s. but you never know. As for stealing a wage, yes trainees are still being paid but I for one am losing thousands from the job I left to join the railway. Obviously I knew I'd be taking a hit for a year or so but now looks like it will be nearer to two before I get back to the level I was earning previously. I'm not pleading poverty but things are tight on a trainee salary .

kickin aff

I’ve heard the management redeployment thing also.
I really cannot see it. If they say they cannot do it due to safety issues then surely the company would not have a leg to stand on. Could be wrong though.

Hi KA

Only saying what I heard and someone else whose sitting at home also has heard same thing as they have mentioned in the post above. Would be surprising seems a grey area.

Good luck attempting to redeploy staff for airing genuine safety concerns especially given that ScotRail have decided that the 2 metre distancing must be maintained in bothies. Why are staff expected cram into a train cab but forced to distance when they’re on a break? It doesn’t make sense.

The idea that other people will be given DTM jobs to pass out trainees because current DTMs have refused on safety grounds is ridiculous. No one is going to put themselves in the position of being tarred as some sort of scab just to help the company pass out trainees.

I think that the end result will be that some DIs and DTMs will do it but it will just prolong the training times and there’ll be a massive queue of trainees, normal service won’t be resumed for years, IMO.

Is there trainees back atall ? I’ve heard there is and DI’s are willing to have their trainees back . Could be rubbish I suppose

Kendo

Well my understanding is there is no more cab turns anyway. DTMs passing out trainees will be a different process which could include talking them over a route dvd for routes etc that’s being tested out.

As I said I know depots that have zero issues and will move quickly.

end of the day 2/3 years down the line, trainees will have the last laugh. They’ll come back when the vaccine comes next year, they’ll have stole a years wages sitting in the house. Enjoy it!
It appears to be a complexed situation with regards to getting trainees back. I was doing my verification the week training got cancelled had just about finished my rules. I recieved a call a couple of weeks ago asking how I felt about going back so it gave me a bit of hope that things are moving in the right direction.

John Bishop

Good luck attempting to redeploy staff for airing genuine safety concerns especially given that ScotRail have decided that the 2 metre distancing must be maintained in bothies. Why are staff expected cram into a train cab but forced to distance when they’re on a break? It doesn’t make sense.

The idea that other people will be given DTM jobs to pass out trainees because current DTMs have refused on safety grounds is ridiculous. No one is going to put themselves in the position of being tarred as some sort of scab just to help the company pass out trainees.

I think that the end result will be that some DIs and DTMs will do it but it will just prolong the training times and there’ll be a massive queue of trainees, normal service won’t be resumed for years, IMO.

Well it’s fairly easy to enforce the 2m rule in bothies and one which the company cannot really argue against. It’s impossible to enforce the 2m rule in cabs so a workaround has to be found and mitigation’s put in place.

If the trainee has taken a test and proved negative, I can’t really see what the issue is with a DTM getting in a cab with a trainee for a limited time. What’s the chance of the trainee contracting the virus between getting the test and doing their assessment, especially when PPE is being worn. I think their needs to be a bit of rational/ sensible thinking involved here and not over dramatising the situation.

How are other TOCs/ FOCs managing the situation? I know some have never stopped training and some have restarted to ops normal many weeks ago.

Gedphones

Is there trainees back atall ? I’ve heard there is and DI’s are willing to have their trainees back . Could be rubbish I suppose
100% there is one back. Heard there's been a bit of a negative reaction to his DI and DTM...

Driver1122

Won’t be resumed for years, don’t see it.
Considering one chief medical officer expected the Uk back at 95% of normality for Easter and Bill gates expected the western world to be near normal by late 2021. Matt Hancock just said he fully expects a vaccine ready to go in the first few months off 2021.

Gedphones.
I did hear that some were back training and did hear that some very close to passing out had to stop their process.