• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Electrification updates & discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

InOban

Established Member
How often does Alex Hynes have to repeat that there is no problem in wiring the bridge?
There is a problem with Kinghorn tunnel, and there may be an issue with the high girders on the Tay bridge, but I've not seen a definite statement on that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mcmad

Kinghorn Tunnel would benefit from being rebored to remove the kink in the middle. Would mean diversions via Dunfermline for an extended period of time but would then remove the significant speed reduction (20/30 from memory)

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
---- it would be cheaper to either buy hybrid rolling stock, or invest in banking engines (bridging engines?) to haul electric stock across the bridge.
Yes a la Lickey. You would have an electric shunter - ( battery and overhead) either side - one for north and one for south bound and they would be on charge when not in use with a little headshunt for stabling. Much cheaper than the tunnel idea. But as has been said ad nauseam - electrification across the Forth Bridge is not insuperable.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think we can take it that the diagonal bracing above the Forth Bridge rail deck allows enough clearance for the wires and the pantograph, so all the various "solutions" offered on this forum over the years are unnecessary. Just need to find out if they still make those red insulators...

marks87

Established Member
Even once the wires are up and electric trains happily running across the Forth Bridge this forum will still insist it can’t be done ;)

Either that, or the Tay Bridge will become the new focus. Presumably a conductor bar will considered for the high girders, while the open sections will need a nice strong design to withstand the “challenging” weather that comes with an exposed firth.

najaB

Veteran Member
Either that, or the Tay Bridge will become the new focus.
To be honest, I've never doubted that the Forth can be wired - the Tay Bridge has been the one that concerns me. The high girders section is a bit tight on clearance, and the low girders will be more challenging than the Forth approach spans to do sympathetically.

Last edited:

marks87

Established Member
To be honest, I've never doubted that the Forth can be wired - the Tay Bridge has been the one that concerns me. The high girders section is a bit tight on clearance, and the low girders will be more challenging than the Forth approach spans to do sympathetically.

A Royal Border Bridge-style bespoke solution will almost certainly be required.

The challenge will be in balancing robustness with visual impact.

najaB

Veteran Member
A Royal Border Bridge-style bespoke solution will almost certainly be required.

The challenge will be in balancing robustness with visual impact.
Yeah, the Tay is the opposite of the Forth in that the part of the Forth that has the greatest cultural icon status is the cantilever section, the approach spans are almost an afterthought.

Scotland-2016-Aerial-Edinburgh-Forth_Bridge.jpg

(Image from Wikimedia showing the Forth Bridge seen from the West)

Where with the Tay Bridge the high girders section isn't as iconic of the city as is the graceful curve of the low girders section away from the waterfront.

Taybridge_from_law_02SEP05.jpg

(Image from Wikimedia showing the Tay Bridge seen from the north)

Meerkat

Established Member
Apart from the history I don’t really see the attraction of the Tay Bridge - not in a form that normal OLE is going to really spoil (obviously the GW stuff spoils even ugly places!)

59CosG95

Established Member
It would be easier - bespoke admittedly- to add red iron oxide pigment to the polymeric insulators I think. Red-brown Ceramic would also work of course.
I believe the red insulators were part of the UK1 (West Coast Route Modernisation) range, so could probably be used again depending on the design.
Then again, it's such a small number of insulators by comparison to most electrification schemes that going for a bespoke colour pigment in the silicone probably wouldn't be that different in price to buying light grey ones off the shelf.
I can't remember who supplied the insulators for UK1, but if a ROCS solution is used, the supplier for that might not warm to changing the colour.

Besides, when you're at ground level, it's difficult enough to see them 110m above!

The start of the cantilever spans would be the ideal place to transition to ROC, if that does get used - failing that, contenary. The approach spans are also spaced 51.2m apart, so it's a pretty reasonable assumption to put an OLE structure at every approach pier. No idea what setions would be used, as that largely depends on wind modelling and strength of the piers.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
The start of the cantilever spans would be the ideal place to transition to ROC, if that does get used - failing that, contenary. The approach spans are also spaced 51.2m apart, so it's a pretty reasonable assumption to put an OLE structure at every approach pier. No idea what sections would be used, as that largely depends on wind modelling and strength of the piers.

That is useful information - I did not know that. Thanks for posting.

ABB125

Established Member
I believe the red insulators were part of the UK1 (West Coast Route Modernisation) range, so could probably be used again depending on the design.
Then again, it's such a small number of insulators by comparison to most electrification schemes that going for a bespoke colour pigment in the silicone probably wouldn't be that different in price to buying light grey ones off the shelf.
I can't remember who supplied the insulators for UK1, but if a ROCS solution is used, the supplier for that might not warm to changing the colour.

Besides, when you're at ground level, it's difficult enough to see them 110m above!

The start of the cantilever spans would be the ideal place to transition to ROC, if that does get used - failing that, contenary. The approach spans are also spaced 51.2m apart, so it's a pretty reasonable assumption to put an OLE structure at every approach pier. No idea what setions would be used, as that largely depends on wind modelling and strength of the piers.
What's a ROCS solution? Rigid Overhead Conductor?

marks87

Established Member
Apart from the history I don’t really see the attraction of the Tay Bridge - not in a form that normal OLE is going to really spoil (obviously the GW stuff spoils even ugly places!)

It's a category A listed building so any electrification will need to go through various processes to ensure it doesn't have a significant impact on the appearance etc. (as with the Royal Border Bridge, as mentioned).

59CosG95

Established Member

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Re red insulators - can’t they just be made out of steel? Then they’ll rust over time.

:lol:

alangla

I hope everyone angsting over the look of electrification on the Forth & Tay bridges never looks at Sydney Harbour Bridge. 1500V DC OHLE, overhead gantry signs on the motorway, big fences on the footways. Still an iconic structure & one of the key images of Sydney.

McRhu

Oh electrification o’er the silvr’y Tay

Wi fiendish storm and tempest blast a’ the way

How the wires would tremble and sway

If the Series 1 components they did give way

najaB

Veteran Member
I hope everyone angsting over the look of electrification on the Forth & Tay bridges never looks at Sydney Harbour Bridge. 1500V DC OHLE, overhead gantry signs on the motorway, big fences on the footways. Still an iconic structure & one of the key images of Sydney.
If you look at Street View images you can see that the OHLE was able to be naturally fit in on the lighting structures. https://goo.gl/maps/PEet8bErPWV7gJu2A

Unfortunately, the designers of the Tay Bridge didn't think to include any.

nlogax

Established Member
If you look at Street View images you can see that the OHLE was able to be naturally fit in on the lighting structures. https://goo.gl/maps/PEet8bErPWV7gJu2A

Slight nuance.. but weren't those gantry structures actually designed for DC OHLE right from the start? There used to be two pairs of lines when the bridge opened, one either side of the bridge and both sets of gantries remain today as per the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.