• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seeing forum members unexpectedly

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
@Having left @yorkie at Halifax following the Hebden Bridge meal last night(13th July) we found ourselves meeting unexpectedly in the declassified First Class on the 1506 Thameslink service from St Pancras this afternoon (14th July) me to St Albans and @yorkie to Luton.
Having had the pleasure of meeting @J.C. for the first time at the Hebden Bridge meal last night, I encountered him at Halifax station late this morning boarding the train from which I was alighting.
Not often that nearly half the people at a forum meal end up meeting a member unexpectedly less than 24 hours after the meal!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Purple Train

Established Member
Went through Crewe today, and I presume that the chances, given the massive number of spotters there, of at least one being a forum member are pretty large. Didn't see any badges though!

(I was there around lunchtime, in case anyone else was...)

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I recognised @Jez from his avatar on a 197 group, so said a very rushed hi on the 1522 CDF HHD… I think my sudden unexpected presence was a bit of a sudden shock :lol: Sorry!

Jez

Established Member
I recognised @Jez from his avatar on a 197 group, so said a very rushed hi on the 1522 CDF HHD… I think my sudden unexpected presence was a bit of a sudden shock :lol: Sorry!
Lol that's okay. I didnt expect to see you there. Sorry I didn't say much more than hi but you were gone rather quickly before train departed!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Today I saw someone whom I believe to have been @Sir_Sheep walking along Preston platform 2

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I recently saw @Tester whilst alighting from a train at Newton St Cyres - despite the train only stopping as a result of a special stop order.

D6130

Established Member
Yesterday morning (11th August 2023) I boarded the sickly and late-running 1V50 Cross Country HST at Newcastle and found myself sitting across the gangway from @TrainTrackJack and a friend. 43 104 at the front was doing all the work, while 43 357 at the rear had just come along for the ride. Despite briefly attaining 107 mph between Thirsk and Tollerton, the train was terminated at York.

Trainguy34

Only realised he's on here but I saw @timmydunn at Farringdon Lizzy Line on the westbound platform IIRC on the opening day, 24th May 2022. Very odd seeing him as I wasn't sure it was him at first.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I saw @323235 at Crewe recently. Well, not them but their namesake unit! :lol:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Perhaps not unexpected given the occasion, but I happened across @superalbs at Plymouth whilst waiting for the final XC HST this afternoon. Having boarded the train I then discovered I was sharing a carriage with @Watershed, with whom I shared the journey as far as Exeter.

Edit: also found out later that @Essexman joined our table for a short while. Three members in one day is certainly a record for me.

Last edited:

Established Member
Unexpected in that we'd planned our trips independently, but it was nice to meet @D6130 in the Euston Tap before we both head up to Fort William on the Sleeper.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I bet a few members (inadvertently) saw each other Monday on the last HST

Iskra

Established Member
I was seated with @Rail Quest yesterday on the Sir Nigel Gresley / Settle Carlisle railtour, he and his family were great company and added to the splendour of the journey.

* I hope it was indeed Rail Quest, and I’ve not got the forum member wrong. It definitely had ‘quest’ in it and it wasn’t Techniquest :D

Rail Quest

I was seated with @Rail Quest yesterday on the Sir Nigel Gresley / Settle Carlisle railtour, he and his family were great company and added to the splendour of the journey.

* I hope it was indeed Rail Quest, and I’ve not got the forum member wrong. It definitely had ‘quest’ in it and it wasn’t Techniquest :D
Yep that was me!:D
Always interesting bumping into other rail enthusiasts in the most interesting scenarios. Was great to meet you!

superalbs

Established Member
Ran into @Class800 a few minutes ago at Exeter St Davids! Reminds me that us South West lot really ought to do a meet again...

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Don’t think he heard my hello over the neighbouring 222’s engine - but did just see @43066 at St Pancras heading to the front of the train Id just got off!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@SickyNicky just joined my train at Motherwell whilst I was having a day out with a Roundabout ticket.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Indeed. Apparently @lkpridgeon was on the same train as well, but towards the front. And @js517 was on the footbridge at Hamilton Central.

Clearly the model railway exhibition is attracting us in droves!

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Neither of us knew until 2 days later, so I'm not sure if it counts, but me and @shredder1 were both in Wigan Wallgate and both taking pictures/recording 66059 go by (their trip report link here), you can see them towards the left of this frame from my video, near the lift.
A photo of 66059 passing Wigan Wallgate, a figure of a person is visible to the left, near the stairs.