• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seeing forum members unexpectedly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Must have been more of us on the Chiltern Parly today!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I was fighting off a creepy old man on drugs who was harassing me and my best friend in the outdoor smoking area of our local pub when @Cardiffrail appeared :lol: Thursday, that.

@fishquinn , does what happened today count? :lol:

I've never knowingly met another member of the forum. I asked a friend of mine, who is a keen railway enthusiast, if he ever logged on to the forum and he claimed never to have heard of it.
It all seems a bit masonic, is there a secret handshake? Are there any lady members? Is the forum run by bots?
On another thread I went on it stated I hadn't enough privileges to post. This implied I had at least some privileges but didn't state what they were or what I had to do to earn more.
All very spooky!

D6130

Established Member
It all seems a bit masonic, is there a secret handshake? Are there any lady members? Is the forum run by bots?
No....no....yes....and no. in that order!

One way to meet a few fellow forum members is to attend forum meals and pub visits. Would I be right in assuming from your 'handle' that you're located in the North West of England? If so, there's a forum meal in Preston coming up on Friday 10th March. If you're interested, send a private message to administrator @yorkie. Similar events are held in various parts of the country on a regular basis.

No....no....yes....and no. in that order! TV

One way to meet a few fellow forum members is to attend forum meals and pub visits. Would I be right in assuming from your 'handle' that you're located in the North West of England? If so, there's a forum meal in Preston coming up on Friday 10th March. If you're interested, send a private message to administrator @yorkie. Similar events are held in various parts of the country on a regular basis.
Thanks for that information. I shall be in the Guild Alehouse in Preston on this Friday afternoon.
Garry, the landlord, may have his own beer on which he brewed himself at the Rat brewery in Huddersfield. March 10th is the day after my birthday, I might still be in recovery.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've never knowingly met another member of the forum. I asked a friend of mine, who is a keen railway enthusiast, if he ever logged on to the forum and he claimed never to have heard of it.
It all seems a bit masonic, is there a secret handshake?
If you attend a forum event I can give you a badge ;) If anyone wants to meet us but there is no suitable event coming up, please get in touch and I will try to organise something.
Are there any lady members?
Yes and I sometimes correct people misgendering them in their forum interactions (I know as I've met them, but some people assume).
Is the forum run by bots?
We do try to automate as much as possibe, but no bots as such. It's run by volunteers (most, but not all, of whom work or worked in or for the rail industry)
On another thread I went on it stated I hadn't enough privileges to post. This implied I had at least some privileges but didn't state what they were or what I had to do to earn more.
All very spooky!
Which thread? Could it have been locked?

It's the Forum Meets section that tells me I have insufficient privileges to post here, when all I want to do is see which pubs members want to visit in the various towns.

najaB

Veteran Member
It's the Forum Meets section that tells me I have insufficient privileges to post here, when all I want to do is see which pubs members want to visit in the various towns.
Only Mods (and a few others) can start new threads there in order to keep it tidy. You can reply to existing threads though.

Purple Train

Established Member
Every time I travel out on the GEML I wonder whether any of the inevitable spotters at Bethnal Green are forum members :lol: - but I've never knowingly met one yet. Still need to learn the secret handshake ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We saw @323235 (+ partner & 2 dogs) walking towards us on the disused railway line at Rudyard Lake today!

route101

Established Member
Not a forum member but could be but I bumped into Francois Bourgois the other day.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
He was busy (as part of what I must say was a very well-run operation to get people through the station!) so didn't get to say hello - but just saw @Bungle965 at Liverpool Lime St travelling home after Eurovision.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Seems @superalbs and myself had the same idea upon waking up this morning, and now both find ourselves on an HST out of Exeter.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Nice to see you again, lucky that I woke up earlier than expected (for once). :lol:

Indeed, it was absolutely amazing. What a place!

Been twice and completely agree. However that's a little off topic for seeing other members.

Big Tim

Nice to bump into @185143 briefly this afternoon on platform 5 at York today after I had disembarked the delayed 1330 from Edinburgh. Sadly time did not permit a beer stop which was much needed in the warm sunshine!

D365

Veteran Member
Been twice and completely agree. However that's a little off topic for seeing other members.
Have there been any instances in this thread of encountering other forum members while outside of the UK?

D6130

Established Member
Have there been any instances in this thread of encountering other forum members while outside of the UK?
Not that I'm aware of - other than pre-arranged rendezvous - but as well as my near-miss with @peteb in Genova last Sunday, my wife and I had another near-miss in Tuscany last year when returning from visiting friends in Asciano. The original plan was to take the loco-hauled Siena-Chiusi school train as far as Sinalunga....but my wife wanted to catch an earlier TFT connection to Arezzo for some reason, so we took the preceding railcar from Asciano. Had we stuck to the original plan, we would have encountered @43094 in the leading coach of the loco-hauled train.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
In some cases, it’s more likely to see some while outside the UK than in it! For example, I’m more likely to bump into @railfan99 while in Australia than at home.

wellhouse

@Having left @yorkie at Halifax following the Hebden Bridge meal last night(13th July) we found ourselves meeting unexpectedly in the declassified First Class on the 1506 Thameslink service from St Pancras this afternoon (14th July) me to St Albans and @yorkie to Luton.

D6130

Established Member
@Having left @yorkie at Halifax following the Hebden Bridge meal last night(13th July)
Having had the pleasure of meeting @J.C. for the first time at the Hebden Bridge meal last night, I encountered him at Halifax station late this morning boarding the train from which I was alighting.