• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should I give up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nash

I have applied for 25 jobs with NR over the last two years and even though I pass each test I never seem to get an interview, so my question is, is there any more point continuing to apply ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cerebral

I have applied for 25 jobs with NR over the last two years and even though I pass each test I never seem to get an interview, so my question is, is there any more point continuing to apply ?

Well only you can answer that question. It can be disheartening if you get knock backs, especially the amount you seem to have had. What job was it for exactly?

Ultimately you need to look at the fact you are fundamentally going wrong somewhere. I am assuming you have asked for some form of feedback from these positions? If so what have you done to correct them?

You certainly don't seem to lack commitment in getting the job if you have applied for 25 jobs. Unfortunately sometimes people are just not suitable for certain roles. I mean I would love to be an airline pilot, but I am not sure I possess all the qualities required and I have to come to terms with that fact.

If it was me I would persevere and try to get some help or advice where I was going wrong. It can be a numbers game so chin up and keep plugging away whilst you find out what your application was lacking! ;)

AndyN

I do understand a bit. I worked for British Rail for 9 years and in that time I cleaned trains so when I got a interview with Northern Rail I was confident of getting it. I never researched the tell me about dealing with customers etc has I thought im going for a " Cleaning Job". How wrong I was they did and that's where I probably missed out even though the questions were customer related which to me had nothing to do with being a Train Cleaner (TPO) I still want the job so im just waiting for them to come up at Allerton or Manchester area and will know to research my answers more next time if I get another interview. I had 3 other applications for the same job not getting to the interview stage but passed the Online DSI Test so told I wouldn't have to do that again for another 12 monthes. Im hoping my name keeps cropping up and perservance eventually paying off. Keep trying.

Simon11

Established Member
Can you explain what roles you are applying for?

Can you also explain, in further detail the stage which you fall out in the competition for the job. Are you completing the CV stage (application stage), then dropping out, or completing the CV stage and online tests before dropping out? What tests are these?

Last edited:

Andrew32

I know it must be frustrating but as advised by the postees above, don't give up.

I waited 13 months to get a conductor job with Northern and at times I wondered if I'd ever get anywhere, but I kept the belief and kept saying to myself ' if you give up now, why bother in the first place.

You'll get there in the end, giving up will achieve nothing and you'll regret not trying as opposed to keeping on trying.

If you need any advice drop me a PM.

Keep believing!

Andy

AndyN

Andrew, how many knockbacks did you get before you got taken on ? Did you change anything, like your wording on the Application, CV ??

sarahj

Established Member
13 months PAH!!!!

Turned down for a BR YTS placement in 1985
Interview for EPS in 1992
Got job with Southern in 2007

Clip

Established Member
If you really really want it then dont give up just keep trying.

But you really need to know why you keep failing to get interviews. You say you pass the tests but by what margin? Is it possible that you are only just scraping a pass and there are others who score higher than you so they get chosen?

The onbly way you can improve on what you are doing is by finding out why they wont interview you.

Andrew32

Andrew, how many knockbacks did you get before you got taken on ? Did you change anything, like your wording on the Application, CV ??

I applied for conductor post first time after being a gardener for 16 years and got through interview and tests, just took a while for a role to come up.

Nash

If you really really want it then dont give up just keep trying.

But you really need to know why you keep failing to get interviews. You say you pass the tests but by what margin? Is it possible that you are only just scraping a pass and there are others who score higher than you so they get chosen?

The onbly way you can improve on what you are doing is by finding out why they wont interview you.

Never can tell the margins as NR never give out scores, in several letters of unsuccessful it is always " others have been identified as a closer match ", the last letter I had was yesterday for a position close to where I live and it said " thank you for attending a selection event for the above position " I did not get invited to this or knew about it, I had another letter saying I was unsuccessful and a few days later was invited to an interview which when I said about it the person on the phone checked checked and said sorry my mistake and that was that.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can you explain what roles you are applying for?

Can you also explain, in further detail the stage which you fall out in the competition for the job. Are you completing the CV stage (application stage), then dropping out, or completing the CV stage and online tests before dropping out? What tests are these?

Hi and thanks for replying.
I get through most of the CV stage, almost all the jobs are track related, I have passed the speech test, I have always passed the mechanical test and have done about 15 of them, I am a Carpenter by trade with other building skills and I did a 1 year temp job with EWS refurbing TPO's until they lost the mail contract, I currently have my PTS and D&A which I paid for, I have a PASMA card a LANTRA card and CSCS card.
Could it be I am 51 years old and it's going against me ?

Nevillehill

Don't give up ! I felt the same and did temporary cleaning for the Tour De France at York cleaning for Northern we were sent to Neville Hill for COSHH& cleaning standards training.

Have you thought about doing a first aid course at your college? things like this and customer service is what the railway look for.

If you've no skills in Customer Service, do Volunteering at the Heart Foundation Shop!! ok it's Volunteering, at least your gaining new skills.

Volunteer on a Heritage Railway learn new skills.

Paul1977

Hi mate

I can understand your frustration, I have not applied for anything like that amount but have always wanted to work on the rail and have a lot of customer service experience and feel I am ideally suited but I cannot get on either. Failed conductor assesments in march and then passed interview with northern rail in june but cannot attend tests until September onwards if anything comes up even for Sheffield, and I am waiting to here about a revenue protection role with TPE for Huddersfield, passed the interview waiting for next stage, everything seems so slow but I am going to keep motivated and keep trying.

Don't give up mate if its really what you want to do, just keep trying, maybe update your cv or something?

all the best, keep me informed. cheers

Paul1977

johnsonr380

Never give up on something you really want. I'm in a pool at the minute. I'm praying it'll turn out for me but nothing's guaranteed. Find out were you went wrong and improve.

Good luck and keep us posted.

plastictaffy

Another thing worth looking at, everyone wants to work on the railways. For every job, they will have quite literally hundreds of applicants. You need to stand out as one of the best. It could even come down to poor grammar or spelling on your CV. You can get a professional CV knocked up for the price of half a dozen pints. Perhaps they don't see you as suitable for the roles you're applying for.
Maybe look at other companies. Could you maybe look at joining your local TOC as a fitter or something at a depot? Even look at operational positions, perhaps. Broaden your horizons. But above all, keep plugging away. If it's meant to happen, happen it will.
Volunteer on a Heritage Railway learn new skills.

Yeah, but keep it under your hat, a lot of TOC's won't touch people they see as "enthusiasts".

Last edited:

Nevillehill

Another thing worth looking at, everyone wants to work on the railways. For every job, they will have quite literally hundreds of applicants. You need to stand out as one of the best. It could even come down to poor grammar or spelling on your CV. You can get a professional CV knocked up for the price of half a dozen pints. Perhaps they don't see you as suitable for the roles you're applying for.
Maybe look at other companies. Could you maybe look at joining your local TOC as a fitter or something at a depot? Even look at operational positions, perhaps. Broaden your horizons. But above all, keep plugging away. If it's meant to happen, happen it will.

Yeah, but keep it under your hat, a lot of TOC's won't touch people they see as "enthusiasts".

You don't have to be an enthusiast to do voluntary work on a heritrage railway, just use it for experience.

Beveridges

Established Member
Should you give up?

There's nothing to lose by trying again and again. Whats it costing you to keep sending an app form in? Nothing

Nash

Thanks for all replies, I will explore why I am not getting to interview stage and will keep applying.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
J K Rowling was rejected a dozen times before somebody took a punt on this "Harry Potter" thing. Turned out OK for her in the end. Keep your chin up, rejections happen to the best of us.

bigbear

Theres no failure in trying and keeping on trying.....the minute you give up, thats when you fail!!.....

Just come back better, and stronger, but never ever give up!!.....

thegame

This company is ridiculous.

I applied for a menial job ( same job I am still working in but wanted to go to a better company), with top qualifications and references with character and also work and the day after job application closing I had an auto email saying more suitable applicants were found.

So I called in asking what was going on and the ice girl said the recruitment manager was foreign.

I think enough said

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.