• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should we introduce a 3rd class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Should we introduce 3 classes on commuter trains?

3rd class - standing only, no seats
2nd class seating
1st class seating

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
NO! I dont agree with the need for a 3rd class, it will just make what already is a confusing ticketing system, more complicated

Ivo

Established Member
I think the names would need a revision...

1st = Premium
2nd = Standard
3rd = Cattle

Unless you are looking at routes no longer than, say, Manchester Airport to Manchester Piccadilly, I would have to say no.

Moo :p

d1015fan

I think the names would need a revision...

1st = Premium
2nd = Standard
3rd = Cattle

Unless you are looking at routes no longer than, say, Manchester Airport to Manchester Piccadilly, I would have to say no.

Moo :p

sorry do we not have cattle class on an fgw 153 already lol

HST Power

Established Member
When I get on my train in the mornings, I have to stand most of the time anyway, so I wouldn't mind a third class if I could save a bit of money. The cost of getting to Kings Cross is really starting to go up.
On the way back, I normally manage to get a seat though, and I'd hate having to stand for thirty minutes in the evening!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What makes you think you'd pay less to stand. Surely they'd price 3rd Class as the current standard class fares and introduce higher fares for 2nd class?

HST Power

Established Member
What makes you think you'd pay less to stand.

Put it this way, would you rather stand up on a train for thirty minutes, or sit down? They couldn't charge more or less for standing up if they did have a 3rd class, surely.

d1015fan

Put it this way, would you rather stand up on a train for thirty minutes, or sit down? They couldn't charge more or less for standing up if they did have a 3rd class, surely.

i was told by a guard one - assume jokingly - you pay for a ticket not a seat

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Perhaps I was misunderstanding what was being said. There would be a differential, but I wouldn't put it past them to make the current standard class fares the new 3rd class and make the new second class fares more expensive than now. Perhaps 3rd class could have seats if they were available, but would have to vacate them for 2nd class ticket holders if the train filled up?

HST Power

Established Member
i was told by a guard one - assume jokingly - you pay for a ticket not a seat

That's a fair point with a very strong element of truth in it. But it would still have to be cheaper for standing. At my local football ground you can watch the game standing up, and it's cheaper. On Ryanair (which is saying something) they were thinking of making a standing class.

Ivo

Established Member
They could always do it the Vietnamese way (based on the Top Gear Vietnam special a couple of years ago) and introduce park benches to carriages! :lol:

d1015fan

They could always do it the Vietnamese way (based on the Top Gear Vietnam special a couple of years ago) and introduce park benches to carriages! :lol:

is that not the inside of a fgw 142. seems like fgw has unoffically got a 3rd class

pemma

Veteran Member
No, that's true, a ticket (providing you don't have a seat reservation) doesn't guarantee you a seat.

Although within TOCs passengers charter they specify the maximum amount of time you should have to stand for, usually 20 minutes at peak time.

HST Power

Established Member

You know, if I got on my train in the morning and saw a park bench, somehow, I wouldn't be suprised! :)

Ivo

Established Member
is that not the inside of a fgw 142. seems like fgw has unoffically got a 3rd class

Difference between a bus bench and a park bench! By "park bench", I quite literally mean a set of two, three or four planks of wood on a couple of wooden supports. Compared to that, FGW 142s are luxury - and 153s are King's Class!

d1015fan

Although within TOCs passengers charter they specify the maximum amount of time you should have to stand for, usually 20 minutes at peak time.

ohhh i never knew that one. and what happens if you have to stand over that length of time
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Difference between a bus bench and a park bench! By "park bench", I quite literally mean a set of two, three or four planks of wood on a couple of wooden supports. Compared to that, FGW 142s are luxury - and 153s are King's Class!

sounds like. could be like india and have passengers hanging onto the train everywhere

pemma

Veteran Member
Should we introduce 3 classes on commuter trains?

3rd class - standing only, no seats
2nd class seating
1st class seating

OR what about

1st class - 1st class 2+1 seats
2nd class - Voyager standard class seats
3rd class - Chapman 2+2 seating
4th class - Alphaline 2+2 seating
5th class - Desiro 2+2 seating
6th class - Desiro 3+2 seating
7th class - 150 original 3+2 seating
8th class - Standard Pacer 3+2 seating
9th class - Merseytravel 3+2 seating
10th class - standing/sat on floor/

That's effectively how it is now although you pay the same for 2nd class as 9th class and you don't always get a choice.

WestCoast

Established Member
Of course it could be argued that a form of third class already exists (cough..pacers...cough).

In all seriousness, there is probably a market for "premium standard" or "standard+" on intercity services. Many airlines have introduced a "Premium Economy", with BA and Virgin Atlantic being examples.

10th class - standing/sat on floor/

11 Class - sat in toilet cubicle (on the floor) - must vacate when requested!!

HST Power

Established Member
In all seriousness, there is probably a market for "premium standard" or "standard+" on intercity services. Many airlines have introduced a "Premium Economy", with BA and Virgin Atlantic being examples.

Premium Economy is little different from Economy. I tried the BA Premium Economy and was distinctively unimpressed. Virgin Atlantic on the other hand are excellent and in my view, always provide good service for what you are paying for.

pemma

Veteran Member
ohhh i never knew that one. and what happens if you have to stand over that length of time

You need to complain to the relevant operator and point out that they are breaching their passengers charter. Different TOCs will react in different ways but you're unlikely to get a travel voucher each time you have to stand for over 20 minutes.

HST Power

Established Member
You need to complain to the relevant operator and point out that they are breaching their passengers charter. Different TOCs will react in different ways but you're unlikely to get a travel voucher each time you have to stand for over 20 minutes.

If I were paid pound every time I had to stand for over twenty minutes, I'd be typing this from a millionair's island!

WestCoast

Established Member
Premium Economy is little different from Economy. I tried the BA Premium Economy and was distinctively unimpressed. Virgin Atlantic on the other hand are excellent and in my view, always provide good service for what you are paying for.

Qantas offer a premium economy service that is closer to business class than economy. If a standard+ was to be introduced to rail (it is available in some form in Europe?), I suspect it would be improved seating only.

HST Power

Established Member
Well judging by the way FCC trains are going, it won't be long before we have to sit on each others laps!

flymo

Established Member
I remember travelling from Newcastle to KX a few years ago and on some trains coach E on HST's or whatever it was on the 225's, next to the buffet was for full standard class tickets only, no saver/super saver/apex/whatever other cheaper tickets were available riff-raff. :grin:
I think this was at the end of the BR era. It seemed like a bit of premium economy in a way I suppose though, not too busy and free cuppas and choccy biccies. It was fun to see the non full fare ticket holder get turfed out into the bowels of standard class. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.