• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Slight changes you would make to liveries to make them nicer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domh245

Established Member
Just for a laugh, could anyone edit the yellow front off a pacer (class 144)?
Might be interesting.
iNFsJRS.png

Bit of a rushed job, but good enough for getting the gist ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I think the new Virgin Trains livery used on the West Coast Main Line could use a few changes. The final product looks something like a Swiss livery.

View attachment 39768
I love the pinky red line on the roof but can someone substitute the yellow on the front and part of the roofline for the same colour red as the silk on the train where the virgin logo is please? Sorry I know it’s an old picture but anyone can photoshop it who knows how

broadgage

I think that the present GWR livery could be much improved by keeping the same design but with a lighter/brighter shade of green.
In bright weather the present livery looks attractive IMHO, but in dull weather or under electric light it looks very dull.
Not a very bright or dayglow green, but a bit brighter than used at present.

Any expert on here fancy doing a photoshopped brighter green GWR livery, perhaps next to a unit in the real livery ?

Elshad

On the Class 345s I would get rid of all the angled nonsense and use a narrower purple band that doesn't extend all the way to the window, to match the usual TfL style. The current livery seems overengineered and doesn't match with the Underground, Overground, Trams etc.

A bit like this early 345 concept:

bombardier's-crossrail-trains.jpg

Goldfish62

Established Member
I think that the present GWR livery could be much improved by keeping the same design but with a lighter/brighter shade of green.
In bright weather the present livery looks attractive IMHO, but in dull weather or under electric light it looks very dull.
Not a very bright or dayglow green, but a bit brighter than used at present.

Any expert on here fancy doing a photoshopped brighter green GWR livery, perhaps next to a unit in the real livery ?
First Kernow uses GWR green for its Truronian coach fleet. Interestingly, recent repaints have been in a lighter green and it looks much smarter.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
On the Class 345s I would get rid of all the angled nonsense and use a narrower purple band that doesn't extend all the way to the window, to match the usual TfL style. The current livery seems overengineered and doesn't match with the Underground, Overground, Trams etc.

I like that. TfL had a very well designed livery concept, all it needed was to change the door and skirting stripe colour to the one representing that mode of transport.

Interestingly, I believe the design (the original "red doors, blue skirt" on LU) was by a member of LU staff who just came up with it, not a professional designer.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I like that. TfL had a very well designed livery concept, all it needed was to change the door and skirting stripe colour to the one representing that mode of transport.

Interestingly, I believe the design (the original "red doors, blue skirt" on LU) was by a member of LU staff who just came up with it, not a professional designer.
Yes. Several versions were mocked up. Line coloured fronts and doors, blue window line, blue doors, etc. Eventually the current version was settled at as looking the cleanest and freshest. Despite being 30 years old I think it's stood the test of time remarkably well.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Yes. Several versions were mocked up. Line coloured fronts and doors, blue window line, blue doors, etc. Eventually the current version was settled at as looking the cleanest and freshest. Despite being 30 years old I think it's stood the test of time remarkably well.
If they'd had line-coloured doors, what on earth would that have done with the S7 stock?
Ultimately I like what they have now. It's basic, but it means that it doesn't look outdated at all in the modern day.

Goldfish62

Established Member
If they'd had line-coloured doors, what on earth would that have done with the S7 stock?
Ultimately I like what they have now. It's basic, but it means that it doesn't look outdated at all in the modern day.
That was in the late 80s. The S stock wasn't even a twinkle in a designer's eye back then.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I haven't read all 15 pages here, but to make a livery "nicer" for me would involve clear and consistent first class denotation (cant rail bold yellow stripe on a dark background as a minimum) and similar clarity on bike and wheelchair accommodation. Never mind having a 'pretty' livery - have the information passengers need clearly visible as the train arrives so the relevant users can position themselves appropriately. Far too many liveries are trying to be bold/different/'stylish' and missing the main point. GWR have badly missed this issue with their (elegant, I think) dark green livery, which just begs for a bold yellow stripe for first, etc., but which has the pathetic silver pencil line that is hard to see even when next to it!

py_megapixel

Established Member
I'll just throw out another suggestion: can we have the stripes back on SWR please?
I far preferred the livery with them, and since they are all just vinyl wraps now anyway, surely there can't be a massive cost difference between the two?They are in fact not both vinyl wraps; the revised version is in fact painted - thanks to Goldfish62 for that correction

Current SWR livery revision, with credit to Adam Bryant
South_Western_Railway_class_442.png

Nicer (IMO) striped version, with credit to 'Feathers44' on Wikimedia:
Class_159_South_Western_Diagram.png

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
I'll just throw out another suggestion: can we have the stripes back on SWR please?
I far preferred the livery with them, and since they are all just vinyl wraps now anyway, surely there can't be a massive cost difference between the two?

Not true that they both vinyl wraps. The non-striped version is painted.

physics34

Established Member
I far preferred the livery with them, and since they are all just vinyl wraps now anyway, surely there can't be a massive cost difference between the two?

In my opinion the the stripey one looks too 'busy'. Only change id make to SWT livery is a dark roof.

Doomotron

I'd be fine with the non-stripe version if the roof was blue as well, but the blue should extend down so it forms a 'skirt' at both the top and bottom. Alternatively, a windows band might save the livery.

However, I really want the stripes to come back (but for the silver only - that's what I liked most) because the trains look 'empty' without it, like the original IEP livery. On the Desiros it is bearable, but on the 442s... Oh gosh...

Goldfish62

Established Member
Wasn't it designed to deter graffiti? Blue & red must've been the most prevalent colours used.
As the aluminium on the stock aged it pitted and when graffiti was removed it left an unsightly shadow. For this reason it was decided to revert to painting stock.

357 LTSRail

In my opinion the the stripey one looks too 'busy'. Only change id make to SWT livery is a dark roof.
I think I'd make the whole train dark (maybe stripey) blue. The ends look so nice in my opinion, almost seems disappointing for it to switch to grey after.

Considering how good the london overground livery looks on the 710s, I wish they'd just done a purple version of that - none of the silly angles but with strikingly modern gloss black.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I think I'd make the whole train dark (maybe stripey) blue. The ends look so nice in my opinion, almost seems disappointing for it to switch to grey after.

Considering how good the london overground livery looks on the 710s, I wish they'd just done a purple version of that - none of the silly angles but with strikingly modern gloss black.
The SWR grey is in fact a very, very dark blue-grey. In certain lights it does show as blue.

The one change I'd make to SWR is to actually make it dark blue, with none of the grey in the palate.

K.o.R

All the TfL liveries should be harmonised to the blue and white, plus an accent line, doors and front in the sector colour. And of course a yellow section on said fronts ;)

Goldfish62

Established Member
All the TfL liveries should be harmonised to the blue and white, plus an accent line, doors and front in the sector colour. And of course a yellow section on said fronts ;)
At least we'd actually be able to see tube trains then. I've only ever seen engineering trains on the underground. :D

jh64

The angry bird with a different beak - all over red, black or white.

cSz4Rvm.jpg

K.o.R

The angry bird with a different beak - all over red, black or white.

cSz4Rvm.jpg

I like the white front. The red... isn't quite right. I reckon it would need the red stripe to continue over the front in some manner.

Black front is just no.

Status
Not open for further replies.