• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Slight changes you would make to liveries to make them nicer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

physics34

Established Member
700s desperately need a dark grey lower bodyside band seeing as they are not being kept clean by the depots.

Alot running around with brake dust staining, looks sh!te

Colin1501

South Western Railway could put their SWT liveried Class 444s (ie, most of them) through the carriage washer occasionally!

py_megapixel

Established Member
Here's what I meant for my revised Northern livery:
ARN-Revised.png
Same as the current livery, but using colours like those from the old 'Northern Electrics' sub-brand. Looks a lot less cheap and plain IMO.
Credit to 'Vaxhuallvauxhall' on Wikipedia for the original live diagram - I have changed to the colours.

Lockwood

Not sure that's entirely fair. They generally looked quite a lot smarter when SWT had the franchise.

It just wasn't noticed because you saw them day in day out, so the gradual dirtying wasn't obvious.

Then they put clean white stickers on the dirty white.

uvarvu

I wish that GWR kept the black chevron which used to border the cab window when it was introduced on the Merlin livery.

jh64

QpX085d.jpg

Grand Central's 180s would look neat with the yellow end panel changed to orange matching the side stripes.

py_megapixel

Established Member
also did a front 700 edit, not sure about it though
Hmm - I like the grey stripe, not so sure about that modified front - I think I'd quite like it, ironically, with the old First Capital Connect livery on the rest of the unit!
I'm not personally a massive fan of the Desiro City front end as it is though.

dorsetdesiro

It just wasn't noticed because you saw them day in day out, so the gradual dirtying wasn't obvious.

Then they put clean white stickers on the dirty white.

Well, I also agree the 444s seem to have got more dirtier under SWR than with SWT.

Sure the 444s became dirty over time that I remember in the last few years of SWT, the dirt became apparent but it wasn't as much & bad as now.

As for putting clean white SWR stickers on the dirty white - the 444s weren't this dirty when SWR first began in August 2017, also remember these never got debranded thus carried SWT logos into around April 2018 when the new SWR stickers went on, the trains definitely got more dirtier by then. The finger should be pointed at SWR.

Last edited:

Lockwood

I get that, but I do still stand by saying that the fresh white bits haven't helped with the image.

If they were just getting gradually dirtier, people who regularly use/see them wouldn't notice as much.

The brain is good at abstracting away small changes. You don't tend to notice it getting darker in the evening when you are outside until something breaks your vision with outside and you go "wow, it's got dark now".

Having the new white bits, which seem to be staying quite white, is giving a frame of reference that is showing just how discoloured the bodies are now. (I tend to not notice just how dark the back of my car gets, until I put a finger print in the dirt opening the boot and see the stark contrast)

L+Y

• I like yellow fronts. Bring them back. (Not on 345s though, that would just look wrong)

Agreed- still think British stock largely just looks "wrong" without them! I'd like to see some of the new stock- particularly the TPE Novas- with yellow ends if anybody can magic that up!

DGH 1

Agreed- still think British stock largely just looks "wrong" without them! I'd like to see some of the new stock- particularly the TPE Novas- with yellow ends if anybody can magic that up!
Especially the TPE Nova's, I really don't like those black fronts. Even if they did it in the blue to match the sides, it would look a lot better in my opinion.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
I travel abroad a lot so are used to seeing trains without yellow fronts so I think they look wrong with them.

And I can just about remember British trains before yellow fronts.

nat67

Established Member
The Avanti livery could be a little less white.

And that goes to a lot of other TOC's to be honest. Just look at AGA & Thameslink.

py_megapixel

Established Member
The Avanti livery could be a little less white.

And that goes to a lot of other TOC's to be honest. Just look at AGA & Thameslink.
How about, for Thameslink, the same basic livery, just with some colours swapped with each other?
I appreciate that this may be stretching the definition of "slight change"
Thameslink_Class_700-0.png
Credit to 'WestRail642fan' on Wikipedia for the original livery diagram.

CR165022

Did the yellow, and a few extras too! Creds to the origional pic owners, others on my next post

Attachments

• nova 1 dark blue.png
    nova 1 dark blue.png
    143.8 KB · Views: 108
  • nova 1 dark grey.png
    nova 1 dark grey.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 101
  • nova 1 even lighter blue.png
    nova 1 even lighter blue.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 100
  • nova 1 light blue.png
    nova 1 light blue.png