• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Slight changes you would make to liveries to make them nicer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Now that Ash, is a thing of beauty. Never been a fan of yellow fronts. If you're going to have a high visibility yellow front, make it bright yellow so it's still visible in poor light and when the front ends are covered in flies. We were going to experiment with HV yellow on a withdrawn 302 on LTS back in 1995 but Euston House bigwigs put a stop to it before the paint arrived. Innovation was not encouraged in British Rail days. Yet SWR seem to have been allowed to use a brighter shade on their new livery.
The latest standard allows any one of several different shades of yellow.

Goldfish62

Established Member
There's a lot of talk about unnecessary premature livery changes just because of a change of franchisee, but is it really that widespread these days? One of the most recent was East Coast, which really was unnecessary. Also we had the irony of TPE becoming wholly First-operated but the removal of the First livery. But are there any other recent examples? FGW changed to GWR mid-franchise, but repaints are only being done when due. SWR repaints only being done when due (at least it appears that way at the moment), also Northern and GTR. We'll have to see if London North Western rush into repaints or whether they'll wait until the new units arrive.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There's a lot of talk about unnecessary premature livery changes just because of a change of franchisee, but is it really that widespread these days? One of the most recent was East Coast, which really was unnecessary. Also we had the irony of TPE becoming wholly First-operated but the removal of the First livery. But are there any other recent examples? FGW changed to GWR mid-franchise, but repaints are only being done when due. SWR repaints only being done when due (at least it appears that way at the moment), also Northern and GTR. We'll have to see if London North Western rush into repaints or whether they'll wait until the new units arrive.
I don't think The First group debrandings were DfT mandated. More that the group realised (about 10 years after everyone else in the country!) that (a) their colours were hideous, and (b) the name "First" had become toxic.

TTA

This is probably a wider issue, but I miss the yellow stripe on the first class carriages on GWR. Always useful when seeing the train from a distance, and going 'ah, this is in reverse formation!'

DanNCL

Established Member
WM trains 172 with more yellow on the front
wm-trains-172-with-full-yellow-front-png.39925

whhistle

On Moderation
Ermm.... nah, never mind.
Please, feel free to type it in to your favourite search engine. I chose 'what colour is easiest to see': "Best Answer: Red colour is the easiest to see because of the large wavelength."

A well thought out reply - I applaud you :)
I do agree yellow may be easier to see but IS it easier to see? As I say, why not florescent yellow then? Until there have been a chance for statistics to form, we'll never know but I guess it's been tested, hence the change in requirements.
I just can't accept that even using an extreme example where there's a tiny panel of yellow (some 158's maybe?) is being used as an excuse to keep the yellow fronts.
My eye sight isn't perfect, but I can see a Turbostar headlight a good couple of miles away long before I can see the yellow front, admittedly from the platform level.

najaB

Veteran Member
Please, feel free to type it in to your favourite search engine. I chose 'what colour is easiest to see': "Best Answer: Red colour is the easiest to see because of the large wavelength."
Funny then that the standard was yellow fronts rather than red... you'd almost think there was a reason for that.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A well thought out reply - I applaud you :)
I do agree yellow may be easier to see but IS it easier to see? As I say, why not florescent yellow then? Until there have been a chance for statistics to form, we'll never know but I guess it's been tested, hence the change in requirements.
I just can't accept that even using an extreme example where there's a tiny panel of yellow (some 158's maybe?) is being used as an excuse to keep the yellow fronts.
My eye sight isn't perfect, but I can see a Turbostar headlight a good couple of miles away long before I can see the yellow front, admittedly from the platform level.

I cant find the studies i read on safety colouring but will keep looking. Interestingly they weren't ALL black/yellow based. I recall a Belgian one which suggested red and white was best, hence their number plates!

I have no scientific basis for my views and hope the RSSB have tested their view out in the North East on a cold, dark, gray, dreich, winter afternoon rather than just in the ideal conditions offered by a laboratory. Hopefully I will be wrong and there wont be an increase in track worker injuries because we still hurt far too many people in that environment and we don't need to make it any worse.

if it is shown to have no safety impact then i am happy for the front of a train to be painted any colour. If not them keep it yellow until we have a better solution.

alexl92

Established Member
I cant find the studies i read on safety colouring but will keep looking. Interestingly they weren't ALL black/yellow based. I recall a Belgian one which suggested red and white was best, hence their number plates!

That’s odd, I can understand with Red and White chevrons but in normal conditions
I find the red letters on white on their plates to be far harder to read than black on white. Interesting though.

AndrewE

Established Member
This is probably a wider issue, but I miss the yellow stripe on the first class carriages on GWR. Always useful when seeing the train from a distance, and going 'ah, this is in reverse formation!'
I think that was a UIC (European railway) convention or standard, so that everyone could find (or avoid) 1st class easily. Therefore abandoned in this country at privatisation, so as not to interfere with the thrusting dynamic innovative firms who were going to make everything better simply because they were not BR.

whhistle

On Moderation
I find the red letters on white on their plates to be far harder to read than black on white. Interesting though.
Ah ha - reading is different to identifying.
Reading any red lettering is harder on nearly any colour than good old black and white combo. But I do like the american standard of white paper actually being a less harsh shade of yellow. PLus, with computer programs taking a dark theme standard these days, I am prefering white on a dark background.

CosherB

Established Member
I knew it wouldn't take long for the thread to veer-off into the eternal 'yellow-ends'/'no yellow-ends' debate, modern headlights, track workers, RSSB, black ends on IEPs etc etc. Here we go again.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I knew it wouldn't take long for the thread to veer-off into the eternal 'yellow-ends'/'no yellow-ends' debate, modern headlights, track workers, RSSB, black ends on IEPs etc etc. Here we go again.

Sorry for that. I guess railway worker safety isn't of interest to everyone. Apologies.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Just adding this as inspiration, the doors on the original Pendolino mock-up livery were certainly “interesting”

Attachments

• 24259413_10155346193361785_1001457528_o.jpg
    24259413_10155346193361785_1001457528_o.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 303
  • 24251527_10155346193321785_1651501610_o.jpg
    24251527_10155346193321785_1651501610_o.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 308

sprinterguy

Established Member
I think the new Virgin Trains livery used on the West Coast Main Line could use a few changes. The final product looks something like a Swiss livery.

View attachment 39768
I watched the latest repainted Pendolino (390009 is it?) sweeping through Macclesfield last night, and I must say that even just the addition of the black window band on that set makes a massive positive difference.

class387

Established Member
Played around with an idea for a Thameslink livery with darker grey, which I think looks quite nice. Unfortunately I have no access to Photoshop at the moment so will probably remake it when I do, but it shows the concept.

IMG_1512160248286I.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.