• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian G

Established Member
where I live, all the snow seems to be melting. we had full sun here for the last couple of hours or so

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Most of it on the roads is starting to go, Bushy Park still has fresh patches :D

Coxster

Established Member
Fred: You've not been at Byfleet again today, have you? There's a really nice snowman on the island platform and I thought that it might have been yours...?

I'm sure that I've seen plenty of those going into and out of Waterloo over time. Given that they are multiple units and 12-cars is generally the maximum length for a train in the SR network, I wouldn't consider that odd at all. :)
Class 455s only ever run in normal passenger service as 8 cars. They don't have any SDO capability and most of the stations they call at are only 8 coaches in length. They can run as 12 cars when on an ECS move, or in exceptional circumstances such as a 4 car having to rescue an 8 car (and vice versa).

Last edited:

P156KWJ

Established Member
all starting to melt here. Wish it would just go, it's hard today so the snowballs are significantly harder :lol:

Established Member
Fred: You've not been at Byfleet again today, have you? There's a really nice snowman on the island platform and I thought that it might have been yours...?

Class 455s only ever run in normal passenger service as 8 cars. They don't have any SDO capability and most of the stations they call at are only 8 coaches in length. They can run as 12 cars when on an ECS move, or in exceptional circumstances such as a 4 car having to rescue an 8 car (and vice versa).

Not me Damon.

Mr Alex

Snow has gone here now, was sludgy about midday today although that didn't stop a good old snow ball fight, with mud included...:lol:
Although DB are taking it seriously- 60062 now based at Tavistock Junction for Snow duties!
;)

Aussie_Rail

I think I'd rather the snow and coldness over weather that melts and buckles everything. We have some lame excuse for the London Eye, called the Southern Sky or some stupid name like that its been out of action for weeks because the heat buckled a whole load of joints out of wack.

At least you's can have fun making snow men and alike.

AR

D306

Established Member
How lovely. about 3-5 inches of snow in Milton Keynes. Got some phots. Post them a bit later. Heard on BBC Breakfast that councils are running out of grit

D306

Established Member
lovely stuff though isn't it. Heard earlier that 45 schools in Northamptonshire are closed as well. Milton Keynes has a fair few closed, which is good

Established Member
here in birmingham were getting quite a bit, shame my nearest mainline station involves going by train and in this weather chances are ill get stuck

D306

Established Member
try living out in the country instead. the nearest railway is a mile and a half away from me and there's no roads with any grit down so I can't cycle there, plus the snow is upto 6 inches deep in places so really, I've got it worse off than you. a 15 minuite car journey in this weather takes an extra half hour as my dad found out earlier

BJMorley

I'm not as worse off, but Trenty Barty & Arriva (shh) have stopped operating, making it hard to get into town.
Brandon

MCR247

Established Member
Most bues are suspended in Nottingham! I was waited 1 hour for a 27! (Normally every 10 minutes!!). The 21 is suspended because they didnt grit the roads in St Anns I dont think :roll: and because of all the hills in Carlton Valley!

That many people are trying to get on the NCT website, it wont work!!

D306

Established Member
as promised earlier, I braved the snow (nearly fell over a couple of times due to not being able to see the kerb of the path/road) and got some photos.
Snowpt2_21.jpg

Snowpt2_30.jpg

there's a few more on my general photography website, http://mikeparsonsphotography.co.uk/photos/2009/feb_2009.html

me123

Established Member
Oddly enough, there's not much snow in West Central Scotland. But up North, there's big problems in Aberdeenshire. Aberdeen-Inverness services are only running Aberdeen-Inverurie and Elgin-Inverness, and there's no replacement buses because of the snow.

It does sound pretty bad up there just now, but at least they should be able to cope better than the south; they tend to be prepared for snow and have much more experience.

Established Member
try living out in the country instead. the nearest railway is a mile
Wouldn't have mattered the ****wits at London Midland abandoned the service anyway. Oh we just won't run any trains during the day, lines are open and we've got staff but hey ho. <(:-x

Established Member
Great Atmospheric Photos Mike, nice tones on the snow and the way you framed the church spire with the clouds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guinness

Established Member
The Hoonster said we're not getting any more Grit for events that only happen once in a while. I'm pretty sure Grit doesn't have an expiry date though...

D306

Established Member
The Hoonster said we're not getting any more Grit for events that only happen once in a while. I'm pretty sure Grit doesn't have an expiry date though...

I don't think it has clockshed. There's a **** load of it at my school and that's hardly ever used. It's just kept in the salt bins gathering dust
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Great Atmospheric Photos Mike, nice tones on the snow and the way you framed the church spire with the clouds.

cheers

Jordy

Established Member
I'm currently just north of Peterborough on National Express, very snowy around here! None at all in Grimsby this morning.

Richmond

grit doesn't but rock salt does, the product can't be stockpiled because certain weathers have an effect on it. Where does it go when it is sprayed on the road after the snow has gone? The salt part melts the snow and the grit element gives the tyres something to bound onto. "Grit" is stored inside in those huge domes at the motorway works depots so the elements don't get to it which have a capacity.

FusionRail

try living out in the country instead. the nearest railway is a mile and a half away from me and there's no roads with any grit down so I can't cycle there, plus the snow is upto 6 inches deep in places so really, I've got it worse off than you. a 15 minuite car journey in this weather takes an extra half hour as my dad found out earlier

I live in a town, and the nearest railway is 3 miles away. How does it tke 15 minutes to drive a mile an a half? You can bike it quicker than that!

Status
Not open for further replies.