• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern - Trainee Driver - Multiple (25/01/24)

Croydon1991

I applied two years ago with ongoing emails from HR saying passed application and keen to process further. I emailed two weeks ago mentioning I havnt heard anything. Two days later an email arrived inviting me to an assessment day. I passed all tests bar the mmi which I am yet to have.
Exciting and glad I made it through the day. Hopefully all will be well and a foot in the door for a career as a driver.

Hi all. Just wondered if anyone on here went to Southeasterns training and assessment centre last week for assessments?
I went last Friday, out of 12 attendes only me and one other passed the day. Was a huge relief!
I am now waiting for the MMI interview has anyone heard anything as to when these will be?

TIA, Adam.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivor69

I applied Nov’22 and had already a complete set of OPC enahanced passes from another process and apart from the odd email update I’m still waiting for progress! Given that all they need to do is interview me and if succeed a medical I am scratching my head with it all.

megadon

I applied for this position and my application was withdrawn due to me not meeting there required geographical criteria.

Im confused as I live in London my commute to Victoria is 50 min by car and the same via public transport. This is based on 9am rush hour traffic.

PLEASE NOTE SOUTHEASTERN ARE CURRENTLY ONLY ACCEPTING APPLICANTS THAT RESIDE WITHIN LONDON. ALL OTHER APPLICANTS WILL BE WITHDRAWN AT THIS TIME. PLEASE LOOK OUT FOR SOUTHEASTERN'S NEW TRAIN DRIVER CAMPAIGN FOR THE FULL NETWORK DUE TO GO LIVE IN MARCH.

Grvrdvicdr

I applied for this position and my application was withdrawn due to me not meeting there required geographical criteria.

Im confused as I live in London my commute to Victoria is 50 min by car and the same via public transport. This is based on 9am rush hour traffic.

PLEASE NOTE SOUTHEASTERN ARE CURRENTLY ONLY ACCEPTING APPLICANTS THAT RESIDE WITHIN LONDON. ALL OTHER APPLICANTS WILL BE WITHDRAWN AT THIS TIME. PLEASE LOOK OUT FOR SOUTHEASTERN'S NEW TRAIN DRIVER CAMPAIGN FOR THE FULL NETWORK DUE TO GO LIVE IN MARCH.
Must be within 20 minutes of Victoria

Must be within 20 minutes of Victoria
Email Recuitment and say you’d be willing to re locate then go from there

Established Member
Quite clearly says 40 minutes driving time or 20 minutes for Victoria so you're over double the time away, hardly slightly out is it. Not sure why you're confused?

I do wonder how many applicants they’re likely to get who can meet that driving requirement, in what is a very expensive part of the country. Clearly they must think they can get enough!

Perhaps 40 minutes driving time is based on driving in at 0400, or home at 0130, which would cover a much bigger area than the same journey during the day.

Class2ldn

Oh it is a bit of a weird one tbh, if they had this requirement 20 years ago they'd have no drivers lol.
If you live within 20 minutes of Victoria then I can think of much better tocs to work for instead that you'd probably still be within reasonable travelling distance of.

Ses16

Let’s keep this thread relevant to the prospective trainees, we’re all on the same team here, trying to help each other get their foot in door.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Class2ldn

As an instructor I see people coming through that shouldn't have got anywhere near a train cab, if you cant read an advert it's not a great image.
All I've done is highlight an area they've gone wrong especially as the user said they were confused as to why it was rejected.
Attention to detail is key and most people don't get through the application stage because of errors like this which are easily avoidable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ses16

As an instructor I see people coming through that shouldn't have got anywhere near a train cab, if you cant read an advert it's not a great image.
All I've done is highlight an area they've gone wrong especially as the user said they were confused as to why it was rejected.
Attention to detail is key and most people don't get through the application stage because of errors like this which are easily avoidable.
As an instructor, the people you mentioned that shouldn’t be anywhere near a train cab. Do you remove them from the training or do your best to help them learn and pass out? I’m genuinely curious because passing assessments is one thing but actually learning to do the job is another.

Last edited by a moderator:

baz962

Established Member
As an instructor, the people you mentioned that shouldn’t be anywhere near a train cab. Do you remove them from the training or do your best to help them learn and pass out? I’m genuinely curious because passing assessments is one thing but actually learning to do the job is another.
Potentially both/either. If someone is poor or has poor attitude or not taking it seriously and shouldn't be near a cab , they will be removed. If it's more that they are struggling a little but will make good drivers then every effort will be made to help them. Although in my experience they are usually in that position with operations trainers in the training school and are usually weeded out before getting near a train.

Class2ldn

No obviously you try to help them, sometimes people can turn it around and become good driver's but sometimes people just can't take to driving trains and that's just the way it is unfortunately.
A good instructor is key as well, you don't want someone in it just for the money and sometimes there are people who aren't good DI 's, that doesn't mean they are bad driver's either but some people don't necessarily have the social skills needed to spend 6-9 months with someone in the cab.
Driving a train is one thing, teaching someone to do it is quite different.
As an instructor you can only do your best but sometimes even a million hours in the chair won't turn someone into a good driver.
If they've got that far then you have to try and believe in the recruitment process but sometimes mistakes do happen and people get through who maybe shouldn't have.
As baz said above most of the time they are found out before that but not always

FR510

Merseyrail are on around 66k now (Labour Mayor)
Greater Anglia could have been on more but I believe they have good tncs Drivers wanted to hold on to

I've no idea when the last Southeastern pay deal was
March 2019 was last payrise. Almost half a decade ago now!

Croydon1991

Finally got my MMI interview date through for a couple of weeks time! Wishing anyone else going through the process the best of luck!

Manda2194

No obviously you try to help them, sometimes people can turn it around and become good driver's but sometimes people just can't take to driving trains and that's just the way it is unfortunately.
A good instructor is key as well, you don't want someone in it just for the money and sometimes there are people who aren't good DI 's, that doesn't mean they are bad driver's either but some people don't necessarily have the social skills needed to spend 6-9 months with someone in the cab.
Driving a train is one thing, teaching someone to do it is quite different.
As an instructor you can only do your best but sometimes even a million hours in the chair won't turn someone into a good driver.
If they've got that far then you have to try and believe in the recruitment process but sometimes mistakes do happen and people get through who maybe shouldn't have.
As baz said above most of the time they are found out before that but not always
This posts interests me. I’m looking to become a train driver and like to think I have the skills required but when you mention someone will never be a driver where do people fall down. I assumed it was attitude but this makes me thinks maybe there is more.

Jatto

Hi All, I'm new here and this s my first post...great reading all your replies....I understand SE TOC is one of the lowest paid but honestly it will be a huge pay rise for me and will completely change my lifestyle with my 3 children and wife...I am used to doing shift work and dealing with people be it bad or good (Public Sector)

I've recently sat my assessment day and was the only 1 of 10 people who passed, it was brutal...!!! Met some great people and honestly did not expect to get through at all.....

I am just waiting to hear when my drivers manager interview is.

I'm new to the railway industry but fingers and toes crossed I pass the next stage.....

Anyway, greeting to all

Samzino

Hi All, I'm new here and this is my first post...great reading all your replies....I understand SE TOC is one of the lowest paid but honestly it will be a huge pay rise for me and will completely change my lifestyle with my 3 children and wife...I am used to doing shift work and dealing with people be it bad or good (Public Sector)

I've recently sat my assessment day and was the only 1 of 10 people who passed, it was brutal...!!! Met some great people and honestly did not expect to get through at all.....

I am just waiting to hear when my drivers manager interview is.

I'm new to the railway industry but fingers and toes crossed I pass the next stage.....

Anyway, greetings to all
Congrats, its a huge relief when the main bulk of psychometrics are fully passed. It is indeed brutal to walk in with several people and by the end of it be left with barely a handful but so is the path to such an important safety critical role.

Jordanmcintosh

Hi, does anyone know if its a standard or enhanced score to pass? Thanks. On my second try so might wait for a reply from GWR as I've seen you only need a standard to pass.

Croydon1991

Had my MMI today final part of the assessment. Eagerly awaiting results email. Anyone know how long the wait is? If anyone was on todays interviews would be great to connect! Cheers Adam.

Piper720

Had my MMI today final part of the assessment. Eagerly awaiting results email. Anyone know how long the wait is? If anyone was on todays interviews would be great to connect! Cheers Adam.
I was told there and then my result for the mmi. Much like the other assessments that day, after each one every person was told whether or not they had passed. It was only the manager interview that I had to wait for an email result. Did you do your assessments at Tonbridge I assume?

Croydon1991

I was told there and then my result for the mmi. Much like the other assessments that day, after each one every person was told whether or not they had passed. It was only the manager interview that I had to wait for an email result. Did you do your assessments at Tonbridge I assume?

Hi yes all done at Tonbridge. We had already done the paper and computer tests about a month ago then 6 of us got booked in today for the MMI. Hopefully I’ll hear back soon. Hope your tests all went well!

Just had my email to say I have passed the MMI! Now onto the DMI! Woohoo

Last edited:

Piper720

Hi yes all done at Tonbridge. We had already done the paper and computer tests about a month ago then 6 of us got booked in today for the MMI. Hopefully I’ll hear back soon. Hope your tests all went well!

Just had my email to say I have passed the MMI! Now onto the DMI! Woohoo
Congratulations! Which depot are you going for?

Jatto

Hi all…congratulations on the MMI…I have my DMI tomorrow at Tonbridge!! So nervous!! I’ve been reading over the TPWS info but whenever I get my wife to question me on it, it’s like my mind goes blank….!! Arrgghhhh!!!

ComUtoR

Established Member
I’ve been reading over the TPWS info but whenever I get my wife to question me on it, it’s like my mind goes blank….!! Arrgghhhh!!!

Break the information down into sections and learn it in small manageable chunks. Another good technique to help memorise something is to copy it out. Writing it down will help cement the information.