• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern DOO: ASLEF members vote 79.1% for revised deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chester1

Established Member
Would a OBS be trained for these circumstances?

Also, if a driver loses his job for a SPAD, would he be offered a non safety critical role? I can imagine people on their final warning will want to change jobs to avoid risk of dismissal and unemployment.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
Would a OBS be trained for these circumstances?

Also, if a driver loses his job for a SPAD, would he be offered a non safety critical role? I can imagine people on their final warning will want to change jobs to avoid risk of dismissal and unemployment.

More often than not yes but it is definitely not guaranteed.

tsr

Established Member
Southern has deemed you are not needed .... so no point dragging this up .... you HAVE LOST - GAME OVER.

I'm not sure if Darandio has confirmed if they're a Southern conductor or not. I didn't think they were, though I could be mistaken.

In any case, Southern hasn't deemed all conductors unnecessary, or that none of their training could be carried over to when they are OBSs (however limited in the scope, and evacuation happens to be within that scope), which rather weakens your point.

I can not see why you continue this pointless argument.

Oh and yes, on my regularly used lines ... I reckon I could work out my location to within a mile ... while some drivers/guards walking to a phone 3 miles away when I have made it to a station 2 miles away.

They almost certainly wouldn't be using a phone 3 miles away - you are basically trying to (once again) extrapolate an error on the part of staff from an example about them finding the nearest usable way to protect the line.

I've lost track as to exactly how you've derived that sort of theory from what's been posted, but it seems you're using fixed distances to a phone - stated as an example - to be a reason that you are better in a train accident because you will always find a station or gate (which would probably be locked and maybe topped with razor wire, but never mind) no more than 2 miles away, and get home before everyone else.

The train crew in an incident would make a decision on which way to go to lay protection and seek assistance, which might even be the same way as you, or if not, a quicker route to assistance than you'd know (because passengers tend not to know the meaning and location of every lineside phone, and I'm afraid you sound like you probably don't, for every route you travel on as a passenger); also, although you might be able to wander off home safely, other trains may be affected by the incident, which is the whole point of emergency protection and finding a phone if needed.

You may also be interested to know that it's increasingly common for conductors to be briefed to try to get a phone signal by periodically checking in positions of safety, in the course of walking down the track to lay emergency protection and try to find a further method of communication. It may not be explicitly mentioned in the Rule Book, but if the mobile phone becomes a serviceable telephone, that could be very useful. So not only do they do the same phone and signal as you, but in addition, they have certified route knowledge to use in that phone call (including the landmarks around the accident and where they've walked to), knowledge of what to ask for during the call, and what equipment to use in what order to stop any train which appears in the mean time, all the while being in a position of safety which is precisely calculated to try to prevent injury by turbulence or debris. And if that doesn't work, they'll carry on to a lineside phone, which for all you know is hidden in a shrub behind a substation which you've never heard of.

Lastly, I hope you're aware that you don't need to go 3 or even 2 miles to reach the full distance for laying detonators in an emergency. So the conductor is still quicker than you.

I really don't think you can help much...

Southern is now 73% DOO .... that is the majority ... so now the minority does not have to res0ect the majority .... which was half your initial argument. As previously said, you change the rules as you go along.

GAME OVER on Southern

We don't yet know what will happen if one of the 73% is involved in an accident, and it almost certainly won't be safer than if there was a conductor [guard] to assist passengers. In other words, the accident which is waiting to happen will not be dealt with as effectively as it would with a fully-competent second person - double the train crew per number of passengers.

Why would the driver of the train behind not have stopped at a red signal having seen the yellow and double yellows before it. I am struggling to understand why he needs to know where the failed train has stopped when he should not be on the same section of track ... honest question ... I must be missing something.

You are missing something.

Broadly speaking, if a train is declared a failure and requires assistance, the assisting train will be required to pass a protecting signal at danger with the authority of the controlling signaller. They will then proceed to a point 300 yards from the failed train, at which point they will come across detonators and an appropriate hand-signal instructing them to stop. This is the "assistance protection".

The assisting train should be travelling at no more than a speed from which they could stop within 300 yards (largely at the judgment of the driver, but usually no more than 20mph at the most). However...

...because the failed train has stopped "somewhere" in section, the driver of the assisting train may not be able to be given absolutely exact information about where that 300 yard boundary is. Drivers are not accustomed to knowing the exact braking points for every hedgerow and garden shed in a given section, so they need to drive at a slow speed until they see the member of crew giving a "danger" handsignal on their approach. The detonators act as a backup for that; especially in poor visibility, as yesterday. If they set off the dets, the train must be stopped, and guidance sought from the waiting crew member about where the failed train is.

(I'll leave out criticism of the fact you've assumed this is a four-aspect colour-light signalling area.)

Last edited:

the sniper

Established Member
You underestimated the abilities of the general public so much I find it insulting.

Why are you willing to vouch for the entire 'general public'? Why would you find it insulting for someone to suggest that not everyone will know what to do in a scenario like that? It's a preposterous position. It makes absolutely no sense for you to be insulted by that claim.

I am sure I know them well enough to ensure my own safety. As long as I can get out ... nearest access point, 2nd nearest access point, unofficial fence to climb over ... it does not matter to me

Oh wait, you're not...

Your contrary trolling crap does nothing for your cause. It's embarrassing. Why don't you leave it to the pro-DOO people on here who aren't afflicted by your hatred and ignorance?

Astradyne

On Moderation
Why are you willing to vouch for the entire 'general public'? Why would you find it insulting for someone to suggest that not everyone will know what to do in a scenario like that? It's a preposterous position. It makes absolutely no sense for you to be insulted by that claim.

Oh wait, you're not...

Your contrary trolling crap does nothing for your cause. It's embarrassing. Why don't you leave it to the pro-DOO people on here who aren't afflicted by your hatred and ignorance?

It is the fact they find all members of the public to be idiots, that is insulting.

It was also stated in the parliamentary review that detonators are now obsolete have been replaced with technology ... but here we have page upon page of justification of roles on use of what has been described as obsolete tecnology. If safety standards were being drawn up today from a completely blank canvas would there be any inclusion of this outdated method?

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
It is the fact they find all members of the public to be idiots, that is insulting.

Not all of them. That's another sweeping generalisation and I find that insulting.

There is a couple of passengers on my route I look forward to see on a regular basis. There are many I don't even think about as I'm too busy doing my job. There are some....

It was also stated in the parliamentary review that detonators are now obsolete have been replaced with technology

Charles Horton lied.

If safety standards were being drawn up today from a completely blank canvas would there be any inclusion of this outdated method?

The standards have been drawn up for use of the GSMR. There was a whole rule book module dedicated to it and now its been integrated into the relevant sections instead. Guidelines, briefings and best practice has been issued and yet...

Detonator protection is still mandatory. So are the rules for emergency protection (dets etc)

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
I know in this particular incident the guard performed assistance protection and not full protection - but it's worth pointing out to those suggesting it wasn't necessary because of the signals protecting the train. If that was the case, then why did the initial SPAD take place?

Darandio

Established Member
I'm not sure if Darandio has confirmed if they're a Southern conductor or not. I didn't think they were, though I could be mistaken.

Not at all, never claimed to be and have never given an impression of it. I was just pointing out something ridiculous they had said.

What a retort though. :lol:

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member

It was also stated in the parliamentary review that detonators are now obsolete have been replaced with technology ... but here we have page upon page of justification of roles on use of what has been described as obsolete tecnology. If safety standards were being drawn up today from a completely blank canvas would there be any inclusion of this outdated method?

What on earth does this mean?? Detonators are as much "technology" as any other piece of equipment. Did you mean 'newer technology'? If so, you are wrong, as detonators are still very much alive and kicking.

Safety cases have to assume a level of knowledge and reaction by the public in a railway emergency that requires a certain degree of assistance that is directed by underlying knowledge of the railway. In other words, for a safety issue, assume those who aren't trained staff know nothing about the safe operation of the railway and need to be instructed on site, at the time. It's not insulting to the public; it's how the railway works. The same applies to the airline world, etc. Without it one has, for example, passengers de-training at what seems to be an unacceptably-long signal stop.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Detonators have not been replaced by technology. They are the last line of defence to prevent a crash.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Southern has deemed you are not needed .... so no point dragging this up .... you HAVE LOST - GAME OVER.

I can not see why you continue this pointless argument.

Oh and yes, on my regularly used lines ... I reckon I could work out my location to within a mile ... while some drivers/guards walking to a phone 3 miles away when I have made it to a station 2 miles away.

Southern is now 73% DOO .... that is the majority ... so now the minority does not have to res0ect the majority .... which was half your initial argument. As previously said, you change the rules as you go along.

GAME OVER on Southern

If the minority don't matter, why did the Southern Web Site and National Rail Enquiries warning against travelling in the peak rush hour yesterday. Yesterday being Monday, the day of a RMT strike.

Of course if the minority do not matter in life, we should never help anyone who gets seriously ill because only a minority of people get seriously ill.

infobleep

Veteran Member

It stated in parliament that Sky would still allow live ball by ball coverage of cricket on terrestial TV, free to air, once it was taken off the A list. It was taken off the A list and Sky didn't keep to their agreement.

In other words, just because it was said in parliament, doesn't mean it's law or always correct. MPs are humans and they can make mistakes or even misleading parliament.

MPs have been told off before now for misleading parliament.

wfrank

agree.

I wonder if he is a rail enthusiast?... as any rail enthusiast would see the value of guards and conductors especially in an accident or evacuation situation.

Having thought about it carefully I don't see the value of a guard & only one of my many rail enthusiast friends does, & he is a guard, who spends most of his work time in the rear cab, by his own account, so he can see the other trains! He probably won't talk to me for a while if he read this. But like physics34,whose rail info I enjoy reading, he is wrong!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For the avoidance of doubt I would defer to LowLevel and tsr for the particulars of the incident on the Hull - Doncaster line. My apologies for the confusion caused, I only had part of the story at that time :oops:

infobleep

Veteran Member
I've never heard anyone in very senior railway management claim detonators are completely redundant nowadays, far less relevant in an emergency situation yes
Which means they are not obsolete, as has been suggested was stated in parliament.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Well done. yYou have come up with a long answer that completely fails to address the point originally raised.

Let's be honest most lines are simple double tracks so most of the rest is unlikely to occur. If you are unsure what is behind you walk to the front of the train so you have a big heavy piece of metal protecting you. So how am I now going to perish.

Yes, let's be honest - the majority of serious accidents have occurred on anything but simple double tracks - Harrow, Lewisham, Clapham Junction and so on.

Now - walking to the front of the train on "simple double tracks" - without someone to instruct you, which way will you do this - along the possibly treacherous 10 foot or along the seemingly easier 6 or 4 foot alongside your train? If the latter, what protects you until you have made it to the front of the train (which could easily be 11 coaches away)? While I am not claiming that a guard will automatically afford instant protection, it is simply pointless to imply that "simple double tracks" are somehow immune from danger in this circumstance.

BestWestern

Established Member
Having thought about it carefully I don't see the value of a guard & only one of my many rail enthusiast friends does, & he is a guard, who spends most of his work time in the rear cab, by his own account, so he can see the other trains! He probably won't talk to me for a while if he read this. But like physics34,whose rail info I enjoy reading, he is wrong!

Don't allow your negative perceptions of a lazy friend lead you to misunderstand the situation.

NSEFAN

Established Member

Just because you know what to do in an emergency doesn't mean that others do. Where there is imminent threat to life, people can easily panic and may not stop to think about potential further danger they can put themselves in. That's not stupidity, it's perfectly normal human behaviour. This is why staff are specially trained in what to do in various emergency scenarios, so that they can minimise further danger to the passengers by getting other trains stopped where appropriate, etc.

TheEdge

Established Member

You'd be surprised. I lost the last bit of faith I had in the general populace while I was dealing with an accident on a train. It was a toss up between the bloke who wanted all the information now (we'd finished crashing less than 1m before) and followed me into a cab as I tried to make an emergency call, the bloke who shouted at me because I was forcing him to stay, when in fact I was trying to stop him blindly wandering down a railway line or the chap who decided to light up his fag as he stood next to a ruptured leaking fuel tank on ballast saturated with engine oil, hydrostatic oil and diesel.

So forgive me if my expectations of the general public are low...

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
The general public never cease to amaze me to be honest. Whether it's the highly important man pacing back and forth along the platform edge on his phone oblivious to the fact a train doing over 100 mph is about to take him out (and they ALWAYS do it on the platform edge), to the clowns who run along the side waving at their friends, to the idiots who lick faeces, dirt, oil and other rubbish off the windows having got off a train of an evening, to those who can't understand a ticket that says 'valid on the following service only' to those who insist on running everywhere when it's wet, even if the train isn't due out for ten minutes (I've swept more broken teeth off stairs than I'd like to consider and occasionally the consequences, luckier nowhere near me, have been fatal).

It's an unfamiliar environment to many and the old saying that most passengers leave their brain at the station door isn't far wrong.

Deepgreen

Established Member
The general public never cease to amaze me to be honest. Whether it's the highly important man pacing back and forth along the platform edge on his phone oblivious to the fact a train doing over 100 mph is about to take him out (and they ALWAYS do it on the platform edge), to the clowns who run along the side waving at their friends, to the idiots who lick faeces, dirt, oil and other rubbish off the windows having got off a train of an evening, to those who can't understand a ticket that says 'valid on the following service only' to those who insist on running everywhere when it's wet, even if the train isn't due out for ten minutes (I've swept more broken teeth off stairs than I'd like to consider and occasionally the consequences, luckier nowhere near me, have been fatal).

It's an unfamiliar environment to many and the old saying that most passengers leave their brain at the station door isn't far wrong.

There does seem to be a link between 'phone use and uncontrollable pacing!

While I've seen the others often enough, this one's new to me! Who does this, and why?

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
You'd be surprised. I lost the last bit of faith I had in the general populace while I was dealing with an accident on a train. It was a toss up between the bloke who wanted all the information now (we'd finished crashing less than 1m before) and followed me into a cab as I tried to make an emergency call, the bloke who shouted at me because I was forcing him to stay, when in fact I was trying to stop him blindly wandering down a railway line or the chap who decided to light up his fag as he stood next to a ruptured leaking fuel tank on ballast saturated with engine oil, hydrostatic oil and diesel.

So forgive me if my expectations of the general public are low...

What, you mean your passengers hadn't managed to have the entire incident all dealt with and sorted on their magic mobile phones, and marched themselves in an orderly fashion to a position of safety, well before the superfluous, thick, lazy overpaid traincrew had even stopped scratching their ar*es and realised something had happened?! I'm shocked, I was told right here on this thread that's what normally happens!

Jeez, don't tell that other guy, he'll get ever so upset... :roll::D

FordFocus

What, you mean your passengers hadn't managed to have the entire incident all dealt with and sorted on their magic mobile phones, and marched themselves in an orderly fashion to a position of safety, well before the superfluous, thick, lazy overpaid traincrew had even stopped scratching their ar*es and realised something had happened?! I'm shocked, I was told right here on this thread that's what normally happens!

Jeez, don't tell that other guy, he'll get ever so upset... :roll::D

:lol::lol:

It's alright. The other guy will have an explanation of why you are wrong and he is right :lol:

As for a previous comment a page or so back...... Detonators are not consigned to the history books. 2 red flags and a pack of 10 Detonators that last 5 years are cheap even for railway standards of pricing. Plus Detonators are needed for assistance protection, Temporary Block Working and protecting a possession. So to get rid of them would be silly considering it's the very last line of defence.

There are two scenarios being conflated here

Emergency protection - GSM-R is much safer, quicker and easier than trundling on to the ballast to lay dets

Assistance protection - dets are used

FordFocus

Emergency protection - GSM-R is much safer, quicker and easier than trundling on to the ballast to lay dets

I don't think anyone can disagree with GSM-R been the much quicker and safer system, no one as far as I can see is advocating against this. My point is that Emergency Protection with dets is the last resort when all other attempts have failed and shouldn't be removed as a method of protection. A qualified guard can carry out this task when a driver is unavailable.

Chester1

Established Member
While I am sure you are enjoying reverse trolling Astradyne, perhaps patience might be a better option. The length of talks and the lack of major leaks is a strong indicator that the GTR-ASLEF talks are serious and progressing. If ASLEF sell out conductors, forget safety arguments and accept DOO then it will be Astradyne laughing and you dealing with the consequences. Anything other than services needing an OBS to run or a strict limit on the % of driver only services, enforced through significant financial penalties and DfT will consider it a victory.

TEW

Established Member

But as the incident where a Southeastern service hit a herd of cows and derailed showed, GSM-R can fail when you need it most. Hence why emergency protection using detonators is still in the rule book and why it is still part of a driver and guards knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.