• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Trains major disruption due to conductor rail problem near Clapham Jn 30/04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antman

Established Member
Bet some of the media are loving this - gives them another reason to bash the railways.

What like you're bashing the media? Maybe they're just doing their best to keep everyone informed?:roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Either that, or hop on a tram from Wimbledon - Southern site says they're accepting tickets.

Do be aware that trams are likely to be packed between Croydon and Wimbledon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
Bet some of the media are loving this - gives them another reason to bash the railways.

Sky News has a particularly useless helicopter-borne video with the story showing nothing but the SWT side of the station and the yard, with not a second of footage of the affected area!
Just took a look at Opentraintime signalling VTB1 & it appears 5A17 (stuck in Clapham pl12 since this morning) has finally moved!!! It's just gone past Battersea Park.

The breakdown train has been moving around Pouparts recently & it may be this that has rescued 5A17!

That just leaves 5L05 and two unidentified trains to shift. I noticed 1Z99 move off but it disappeared for ages so I gave up watching. 5A17 is now on the down fast outside CJ (eastern end), so is presumably being taken to Selhurst/similar. 5L05 is also now in the up fast platform.

Last edited:

RichJF

That just leaves 5L05 and two unidentified trains to shift. I noticed 1Z99 move off but it disappeared for ages so I gave up watching. 5A17 is now on the down fast outside CJ (eastern end), so is presumably being taken to Selhurst/similar. 5L05 is also now in the up fast platform.

5L05 has moved off as well! Either Network Rail sent for 2 rescue locos; or they're able to move off under their own power. If both trains are damaged I wonder where they'll send them? Selhurst I would guess!
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O93196/2015/04/30/advanced

Last edited:

Via Bank

…and frankly, why on earth shouldn't they? Three plus hours (some reports of people being stranded for five hours) in a sealed train, with no air-conditioning, no toilets and no drinkable water, followed by a much-delayed evacuation onto the track, is highly irregular, and really isn't acceptable.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Do be aware that trams are likely to be packed between Croydon and Wimbledon

Really? I thought it would be busy going away from London in the evenijg peak? Although I'm not sure which way is from London, towards Wimbledon or Croydon?

Ared Redhill trains towards London busy?

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
…and frankly, why on earth shouldn't they? Three plus hours (some reports of people being stranded for five hours) in a sealed train, with no air-conditioning, no toilets and no drinkable water, followed by a much-delayed evacuation onto the track, is highly irregular, and really isn't acceptable.

I hope the crew opened the normally-locked hoppers on all those they could. This is exactly the scenario that those were provided for on the 377s.

LAX54

Established Member

I recall when I went to Signalling School in September 1972, we crept from C Jct and then ground to halt half way to Victoria, this was about 8.00, sat there for ages, everyone chatting on the train or read papers, oddly not much moaning about the lack of movement, by 1030 we had not turned a wheel, but still no real anger / swearing, by 1100 we had been detrained and walked to Battersea Park Stn, where we were told to get a bus or make our own way to the Waterloo line ! think I arrived in Beckenham about 1230 ! that was also due to 'power supply problems' if I recall a displaced juice rail knocked by a previous faulty train.

Deepgreen

Established Member

talltim

Established Member
5L05 has moved off as well! Either Network Rail sent for 2 rescue locos; or they're able to move off under their own power. If both trains are damaged I wonder where they'll send them? Selhurst I would guess!
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O93196/2015/04/30/advanced
Not sure they were damaged, think it was just a general power failure
Yep there's a displaced conrail causing hell of a lot of problems at the moment
Very misplaced !<D

GodAtum

On Moderation
Out of interest, what is the best way to get from Clpaham to East Croydon? There really isnt an alternative. One cannot get on a SWt to Wimbledon as they are always full.

RichJF

Ah ok. There was talk the damaged "conrail" rose up & knocked the shoes off one of the trains! How true that is I don't know.

Deepgreen

Established Member

At least one train lost its shoes either as a result of an already-displaced juice rail, or during the displacement. I would have thought that following trains would not be damaged (although National Rail states that there has been "damage to a number of trains") as they would not have got anywhere near the displaced section (unless a couple of miles were affected!). The breakdown loco/train is now heading between Balham and Wandsworth Common.

Last edited:

mirodo

@GodAtum

In reverse, I got the number 50 bus from outside the Whitgift Centre to Clapham Common. There may be quicker ways, but it got me there in the end.

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
Really? I thought it would be busy going away from London in the evenijg peak? Although I'm not sure which way is from London, towards Wimbledon or Croydon?

I could have worded it better but trying to get on a tram at Wimbledon is likely to be a stressful experience

Oh come on surely the media are making this up?;)

On a more serious note it is a good idea to have at least have a bottle of water with you when embarking on a train journey

stut

Established Member
Out of interest, what is the best way to get from Clpaham to East Croydon? There really isnt an alternative. One cannot get on a SWt to Wimbledon as they are always full.

You could get the Overground to Peckham Rye, then the West Croydon train or the 197 bus.

Traveller54

I recall when I went to Signalling School in September 1972, we crept from C Jct and then ground to halt half way to Victoria, this was about 8.00, sat there for ages, everyone chatting on the train or read papers, oddly not much moaning about the lack of movement, by 1030 we had not turned a wheel, but still no real anger / swearing, by 1100 we had been detrained and walked to Battersea Park Stn, where we were told to get a bus or make our own way to the Waterloo line ! think I arrived in Beckenham about 1230 ! that was also due to 'power supply problems' if I recall a displaced juice rail knocked by a previous faulty train.
Were you able to open the windows back then? It seems that there is no air conditioning on the stranded trains, the heat and poor air quality is bound to cause tempers to rise.

AM9

Veteran Member
Given that the (down) GatEx trains are probably carrying those with the least travel options, could they go via Brixton and Herne Hill to East Croydon instead of running buses to Gatwick which must be quite a difficult journey? Or is that route not cleared?

RichJF

They're all gone! They're all gone!

Now remains to be seen if the fast lines are okay to be used again!

cjohnson

There was a massive scrum to get on the tram at Wimbledon this morning (~9.30) as a result of displaced passengers from Clapham Jct attempting to get to Croydon.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Just a Q from an ignoramus . Was it the case in SR days that folk were stuck on trains for 5 hours? What happened then? They must have had such problems.

Class 170101

Established Member
I've edited my post now! But they were reversing trains at Balham from platform 2, I ended up on the 0956 Balham to Dorking, which had the rather pleasing headcode of 2Z22 according to Realtime Trains. Between Balham and Streatham North Junction there was a train standing at every signal on the up fast, must have been 5 or 6 in total just in that short stretch.

Looks like at least one Milton Keynes-Croydon train ended up being diverted via Herne Hill

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W76557/2015/04/30/advanced

And the rare Kensington lines used by Cross Country when they ran this way. I belieev the daily Southern train that used to do this is no more (and so for sometime).

Railman10

On the news just now: passengers held on trains for 5 HOURS?

A world class railway? If it's anything near the truth, it's an absolute disgrace.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
On the news just now: passengers held on trains for 5 HOURS?

A world class railway? If it's anything near the truth, it's an absolute disgrace.

Given that it should be fairly obvious once something like a dislodged conductor rail has occurred that things won't be moving any time soon, thus leading to a decision to evacuate, that seems excessive. With the huge police and railway resource available in the London area compared with elsewhere, I can't see why evacuations could not have been completed far more quickly than that - in any event started within 1-2 hours and completed within 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.