• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sapphire Blue

Friends of mine from Newcastle just had a great day out in Carlisle for 80p. They say many thanks for tipping them off, and hope I will pass on any more bargains!
Took a bit of time to source the journeys but we 've done
Wakefield > Nottnghm
Halifax > Chester
& Mirfield > Manchester
And we have booked
Brighouse > Southport
Halifax > York
and repeat trips to Nottingham and Chester. Allied with a WY Family Day Rover {Saver?} it is a remarkable offer.
One thing though, the tickets, all picked up at Huddersfield, have never worked ticket barriers.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is a lot of interest in the Northern £10 promotional tickets, so I have split these into the dedicated thread https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/northern-£10-rail-offer-on-again-23-09-19-to-24-11-19.192192/

While it makes sense to have a continuous thread for special offers, if detailed discussion is going to take place about any particular offer that may be particularly popular (and/or complicated), my advice would be for someone to create a thread to discuss the details, with a link to it from here. As always any concerns can be made by contacting us directly using the contact us form (for general enquiries) or the report button (to report a particular post).

route:oxford

Established Member
Employee benefits powered by NextJump?

You should have 20% cashback on almost all UK domestic and European flights, buses and trains for the next 5 days with Omio

Scotty

i've just been sent an email by LNER, giving me the option of upgrading my trip from Peterborough to Newark next Tuesday (not via SeatFrog), from Standard to First Class. I've paid £6.90 for an advance, but I can pay £35 on the train if I show the Train Manager the email. It's a 33 minute direct train.

However, if I wanted to book a First Advance for that same trip on their website, I can book a ticket for £14.70... the next few tiers of First Advances are also cheaper than £35.

What was the point of the offer?!

Iskra

Established Member
i've just been sent an email by LNER, giving me the option of upgrading my trip from Peterborough to Newark next Tuesday (not via SeatFrog), from Standard to First Class. I've paid £6.90 for an advance, but I can pay £35 on the train if I show the Train Manager the email. It's a 33 minute direct train.

However, if I wanted to book a First Advance for that same trip on their website, I can book a ticket for £14.70... the next few tiers of First Advances are also cheaper than £35.

What was the point of the offer?!

To make them more money and fill empty seats in first class. I got a similar one last year, that was also really bad value, needless to say I didn't take them up on it.

I assume it's just a computer generated thing. Maybe people on longer journeys get them too and perhaps they might feel it worth it on something like Edinburgh-London?

E759

To make them more money and fill empty seats in first class. I got a similar one last year, that was also really bad value, needless to say I didn't take them up on it.

I assume it's just a computer generated thing. Maybe people on longer journeys get them too and perhaps they might feel it worth it on something like Edinburgh-London?
I had one in February, £25 Kings Cross to York. Shortly after I discovered Seatfrog and haven’t seen an email offer from LNER again.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I made a journey from Doncaster to Stevenage with LNER a couple of weeks ago using an Advance ticket that cost me £11.90 iirc.

I had an email from LNER saying I could upgrade to 1st class for £35
I registered with Seatfrog and could've bought an immediate 1st class upgrade for £25
I was prepared to pay around £10 for a 1st class upgrade but the seatfrog auction eventually closed at £21

There was no way I was going to pay between £21 and £35 to upgrade a ticket that only cost £11.90 for a journey that takes 1h15.

Scotty

Probably, but surely they can add in some filters so that they aren't offering unreasonable upgrades. If they want to fill first class, I'm not sure a 33 minute upgrade will help much... they'd be more successful offering longer journey upgrades for decent prices.

Cletus

Established Member
https://www.c2c-online.co.uk/create-your-day-out/go-green/#gf_124

Our very first ‘Go Green’ week is running 23 – 29 of September 2019, where we commit to making our railway more sustainable and environmentally friendly. Luckily, rail travel is one of the greenest ways to get about. Did you know a return journey from London to Shoeburyness is only 10kg CO2 per passenger compared to 41kg CO2 in a petrol car?

To encourage you to ditch the car and take the train we’re offering you a 50% discount code if you sign up to go green by 29 September. You’ll be able to use this discount code to get 50% off when you buy an adult Off-Peak return train ticket online, for travel between 01 October – 03 November. *Terms apply.

How can I get my Go Green discount?
  1. Sign up in the form below
  2. We’ll send you your code on Monday 30 September
  3. You can then use the code online to get 50% off an adult Off-Peak ticket
Thanks for signing up. We will email you on Monday 30 September with your code.

Karl

On Moderation
I'm looking forward to Northern's £10 newspaper offer. Tomorrow is payday and I'm going to get myself some Pacer action!!

BlueFox

20% off Crosscountry Advance tickets.

Use the code OCT19

It can be used as many times as you want between now and 27/10, for travel between 7/10 and 3/11.

e-tickets only.

Terms:
*You use your exclusive PIN to get 20% off CrossCountry Advance tickets. Tickets can be bought from 11:00am on Wednesday 2 October 2019 until 11:59pm on Sunday 27 October 2019, for travel between 7 October 2019 and 3 November (inclusive). The discount only applies to First Class and Standard CrossCountry Advance single tickets for travel on CrossCountry trains only, purchased through the CrossCountry site (desktop or mobile) and Train Tickets App. The discount is only available for the e-Ticket fulfilment option. Advance tickets are subject to availability. The discount can be used in conjunction with a Railcard. 16 – 17 Saver is not valid with this promotion. Further terms and conditions apply, and full terms and conditions are available to view at crosscountrytrains.co.uk/oct19

BlueFox

The terms say "You must carry your Scottish Sun voucher with you when travelling to validate your ticket(s)"

I think I may have confused "token" and "voucher". You need to collect three tokens to buy tickets, and one voucher lets you buy two tickets. It doesn't say where the voucher comes from though. Do you print it out from the Scotrail website, or does it appear in the paper?
The Sun website doesn't make it clear: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/travel/4792490/scotrail-scottish-sun-travel-19-return-offer/

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I think I may have confused "token" and "voucher". You need to collect three tokens to buy tickets, and one voucher lets you buy two tickets. It doesn't say where the voucher comes from though. Do you print it out from the Scotrail website, or does it appear in the paper?
The Sun website doesn't make it clear: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/travel/4792490/scotrail-scottish-sun-travel-19-return-offer/

The tokens are being printed in this Scottish Sun all this week. See the attached image from yesterday's paper.

Attachments

• IMG_20191006_1527571272_50.jpg
    IMG_20191006_1527571272_50.jpg
    789.6 KB · Views: 47

BlueFox

The tokens are being printed in this Scottish Sun all this week. See the attached image from yesterday's paper.
Yes, I realised that. But I couldn't work out where the voucher comes from. It appears from that image that it's just the thing you attach the tokens to, so you need to buy the paper to get it, you can't just use the codes online.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Maybe when buying the tickets it will generate it as an e-ticket where you need to print off and attach the vouchers from the newspaper to the bottom?

Chrism20

Established Member
A 5% cashback on LNER tickets has appeared in my Santander retailer offers on their app.

BlueFox

It appears from that image that it's just the thing you attach the tokens to, so you need to buy the paper to get it, you can't just use the codes online.

I bought the paper today, to get the token. And it says you need to collect three tokens and attach them to the voucher from Saturday's paper. So it looks like you need Saturday's paper to get the offer, unless they print it again later in the week.
The third code is SCOTLAND.

_toommm_

Established Member
Just received an email from Virgin Trains giving me a 30% off PIN, for up to 2 passengers making a single or return journey.

This is no use to me as I have a 16-25 Railcard and no longer live on the WC route. You must book by midnight Friday but it's valid for 4 weeks so if anyone wants it, feel free to PM me.

First come I'm afraid!

EDIT: This has now been claimed, but I'll leave the post as a heads up incase anyone else has got a code...

Last edited:

Established Member
Just received an email from Virgin Trains giving me a 30% off PIN, for up to 2 passengers making a single or return journey.

This is no use to me as I have a 16-25 Railcard and no longer live on the WC route. You must book by midnight Friday but it's valid for 4 weeks so if anyone wants it, feel free to PM me.

First come I'm afraid!

EDIT: This has now been claimed, but I'll leave the post as a heads up incase anyone else has got a code...
I have one too. First PM gets it. Useless to me as Beardy hates railcards.

extendedpaul

I also have a PIN I won't use but mine offers a 40% discount. I would like it to be used by someone without a railcard. Please note I'm away from 9am Wednesday until 11pm Thursday so reply to PM may be delayed.

Iskra

Established Member
I also have a 40% VT code which I am unable to use in the next 4 weeks. PM for it if you would like it, first come first served.

Silver Cobra

I also have a 30% code, if anyone is interested. My travel plans with VT are outside the period the discount is available for, so I don't need the code myself.

Almost a year since the last LNER seat sale?

Very true. I'm hoping LNER has one in the near future. I've been wanting to take a trip up to Newcastle, but the cost of advances for the time of day I'd be required to travel for the outbound journey have risen to a point that makes it unviable.