• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

crehld

Established Member
Here you go. Comparison between old and new!

Just to follow up... I picked up a copy of the Bradford Telegraph and. Argus today. The vouchers there are markedly different to those in other newspapers, so I think it varies by paper, not date.

Attachments

• IMAG0288.jpg
    IMAG0288.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 68
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
Scotrail have extended the application date for a year's free Club 50 membership through to the end of September.

I had a look at this. Amongst other things, the Club 50 discounts are available only on Advance and Offpeak tickets. And it seems that by "Offpeak" tickets Scotrail mean tickets called that, which rules out use of the offer for all travel, including offpeak travel, for journeys where the only tickets are called Anytime tickets. (I know that some forum members would feel the urge to point out that there are no such things as offpeak trains or offpeak travel, only offpeak tickets, but I think that the average reader of the advertising might be surprised at the difference in this context between "Offpeak" and "offpeak".)

greatkingrat

Established Member
10th October has both England v Uruguay at the Etihad and the Super League Grand Final at Old Trafford, so I think it is understandable Northern don't want to encourage even more people to travel on that day!

breadfan

Just to follow up... I picked up a copy of the Bradford Telegraph and. Argus today. The vouchers there are markedly different to those in other newspapers, so I think it varies by paper, not date.

How long will that newspaper be printing the vouchers?

theblackwatch

Established Member

The T&A isn't a Johnston Press newspaper, so this is presumably a different firm's offer?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've now found that the T&A is part of a Newsquest offer - full details of the papers involved and dates are at http://www.northernrail.org/newsquest/newspapers

northwichcat

Veteran Member
10th October has both England v Uruguay at the Etihad and the Super League Grand Final at Old Trafford, so I think it is understandable Northern don't want to encourage even more people to travel on that day!

I'm glad I'm not planning to travel on 10th October. Every time I've travelled on Super League Grand Final day there's either been cancellations due to staff shortages or 15-20 minute delays due to 'waiting for a crew member.' They don't ever seem to have the staff to work the extra Old Trafford services without affecting other services.

Butts

Veteran Member
With regard to Abellios Club 50, I didn't realise part of the package was a "free brew" from The Trolley Onboard.

Annoyingly my outward journey to Leuchars was on a "Crap Dundee" service that had no trolley.

Due to the disruption caused by the derailment at Carnoustie yesterday I went back via Dundee and Stirling to ensure I got my brew on the Glasgow Service rather than been subjected to another 2 Coach Nightmare that formed the Aberdeen to Edinburgh Service when it restarted at Dundee and went onward to Edinburgh.

What a tightwad :oops:

infobleep

Veteran Member
I seem to think the follow has previously been answered but I can't find it right now.

I am doing a two-for-one offer at the weekend in London. It says in the terms and conditions "2. You must produce two valid National Rail train tickets as evidence of travelling by train to London".

What do they mean by London? What about people who live in London or is the offer aimed at those outside of London.

The other day I went to a friend to Hampton Court. We held tickets to Hampton Court station and they were accepted. Of course country wise, Hampton Court station is in East Mosley which is Surrey but it's within the London zones.

if it has to be a London station to be valid, what is the cheapest ticket one can buy to make it valid? I ask because Oyster cards are not valid unless it's an annual season ticket with a gold card record.

It's seems everything resolves around the national rail logo. You can use any valid ticket so long as it contains a national rail logo. Any valid ticket that doesn't contain a national rail logo is not valid.

Also what if a friend held a ticket that allow travel through London but the starting and finishing destination were outside. For example Burgess Hill to Luton.

Cheers

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I used a Waterloo East to Charing Cross single last time, £1.85 each with Railcard. Accepted at Tower Bridge exhibition reluctantly when I pointed out that it did not say ticket must originate outside London.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I used a Waterloo East to Charing Cross single last time, £1.85 each with Railcard. Accepted at Tower Bridge exhibition reluctantly when I pointed out that it did not say ticket must originate outside London.
Thanks for that. Those may be the tickets we buy. Have to see what's cheaper. A paper travel card or those tickets and Oyster. Depends on the amount of travelling we might be doing.

I did message days out guide via Facebook. They don't respond to Facebook page user posts on there so I don't know if they respond to direct messages. I'll find out. Hopefully they do, as that's surely one of the reasons why one might use Facebook - to interact with your potential customers [passengers].

Rail Ranger

Rumour has it that the Arriva Trains Wales Club 55 offer will be restarting on Monday 19th October, which is the day after the last Rugby World Cup game at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

philjo

Established Member
I have just tried to download the £10 day ticket form from the Northern website - I can't open the form. it downlaods but seems to be gibberish.
I'm using a mac - I have tried in both firefox and Safari with the same result. I don't have adobe installed but Preview usually opens any PDFs.

ANy ideas?
I'll try on my windows laptop at work tomorrow.

Incidentally I also found a link on the Norhtern site to a similar offer but the ticket was £12.50
I managed to open it OK using the email link on my iphone - them emailed the PDF back from ibooks to my mac so I could print it !

infobleep

Veteran Member
As an update to my earlier question on terms and conditions of the London 2 for 1 offer, I got a reply from Days Out via Facebook Messagener

I think it's OK to publish it here as it might benefit others:
Unfortunately, this is a bit of a grey area for us and the attractions – some will allow entry and others will refuse.

The scheme is designed to encourage leisure travel into the capital, therefore some attractions will take this very literally and stick to it; mostly not accepting tickets from stations within London Zones 1 or 2, and for some, even 3, as they do not deem this a suitable distance. Without a minimum mileage or fare set for attractions to base their judgement upon, it is at their discretion.

So, I am sorry, I cannot guarantee that entry will be permitted with tickets for travel wholly within London. At the same time, I cannot guarantee you will be refused entry. Greater London stations such as zones 4/5/6 have a very high chance of being accepted.

The only suggestion I can make, that will enable you to use the 2FOR1 offers, is to purchase a Travelcard from your departure National Rail station. Although Travelcards from Underground stations or newsagents will not be eligible, Travelcards purchased

at a rail station are printed on the orange and cream ticket stock which attractions recognise as valid. They will also bare the National Rail logo – which is essential for the offer.

Travelcard prices they are displayed on the TfL Tickets page. Here you can see Travelcard prices for more specific zones. You can use this map to find out which zones you will be needing and where stations are in London. But, please do remember, tickets purchased on Oyster or at a tube station are not valid.

In my case I took a chance and purchased tickets from within London, as well as outside of London. Interesting that it's designed to encourage travel into London, yet the nearest station for Hampton Court Palace is actually Hampton Court, which is in East Mosley in Surrey. Also that is zone 6 so quite far from zone 1 and 2.

Hampton Court didn't have an issue mind you and nor did the National Portrait Gallery.

I did suggest perhaps an appendix listing how each attraction interprets the rules. In reality I know that wouldn't happen and would be too complicated to manage, given the number of attractions.

greatkingrat

Established Member
I suspect even with the same attraction you would probably get different answers from different staff.

Might be better to pick an obscure station on the grounds they won't know exactly where it is - Cambridge Heath - London Terminals sounds further than it is!

infobleep

Veteran Member
I suspect even with the same attraction you would probably get different answers from different staff.

Might be better to pick an obscure station on the grounds they won't know exactly where it is - Cambridge Heath - London Terminals sounds further than it is!
Good point.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Looks like grand central has increased the discount offered to NUS card holders to 25% (used to be 10%). I will need to try it out to see if the same discount comes out when booking XC advances via the GC site (haven't got my NUS card with me).

theblackwatch

Established Member
VTEC are offering £10/£13 fares on the Leeds-London route over half term, although it doesn't seem possible to get to London before the afternoon. See https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/halfterm

There also appear to be some £5/£15 VT flat fare single fares showing in the selection of fares, but none are available - possibly an offer coming up soon?

Red Dragon

VTEC are offering £10/£13 fares on the Leeds-London route over half term, although it doesn't seem possible to get to London before the afternoon. See https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/halfterm

There also appear to be some £5/£15 VT flat fare single fares showing in the selection of fares, but none are available - possibly an offer coming up soon?

There seem to be more tickets available am going North and pm going South, so if you're down South it works well. For example the 0835 From KGX to LDS is currently available with late returns on the same day too.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Looks like grand central has increased the discount offered to NUS card holders to 25% (used to be 10%). I will need to try it out to see if the same discount comes out when booking XC advances via the GC site (haven't got my NUS card with me).

Holders of both a Railcard + NUS Extra Card now get cheaper GC Advance fares than children :o

crehld

Established Member
I have one Northern Rail Day Ranger token spare. It's from the Stoke Sentinel and should be the same design as others in the Local World newspaper group. I obviously can't use one on its own and I don't have the time any way. So if you have an odd token and are looking for another to make it into a pair to allow the purchase of a ranger it's free to a good home. Just send me a PM :)

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Ryanair currently have half a million seats across Europe on offer at £9.99. Book by 23.59 on Tuesday 3rd for travel until Feb. Not rail related, but is travel related so I figured some people might find it useful.

Brucey

Ryanair currently have half a million seats across Europe on offer at £9.99. Book by 23.59 on Tuesday 3rd for travel until Feb. Not rail related, but is travel related so I figured some people might find it useful.

I've booked several similar fares recently (ranging from £1 to £15 each way). It actually costs more to travel the 40 miles to the airport by train!

Kite159

Veteran Member
I've booked several similar fares recently (ranging from £1 to £15 each way). It actually costs more to travel the 40 miles to the airport by train!

Or in some cases costs more to park the car at the airport :D
Holders of both a Railcard + NUS Extra Card now get cheaper GC Advance fares than children :o

Sadly it appears that you can no longer book NUS discounted tickets for XC on the GC website, boo.

Although it seems if I add a journey where e-tickets are not available (i.e. Grateley to Reading) it doesn't charge the £1 'fee' to collect proper tickets from a TVM, although gives multiple collection reference numbers, pigging Ticketmaster powered sites

Last edited:

crehld

Established Member
For the privileged few that are eligible for a Dales Railcard:

Northern Rail’s winter offer for Dales Railcard holders will be available between 1 November 2015 and 19 March 2016 excluding the following dates: Saturdays and Sundays 5-6, 12-13, 19-20 December 2015 and Saturday, 13 to Saturday 20 February 2016 inclusive.

There will be no restrictions on the time of travel (with the exception of the 0550 service from Carlisle to Leeds Mondays to Fridays).

The flat fare day return ticket will be available to Dales Railcard holders for travel on the specific line to which the fare relates. So if you fancy a day out in Skipton, Leeds or Bradford why not take advantage of this great deal.

a) For travel on the Settle-Carlisle line including to/from Brampton/Wetheral, the cost of the day return flat fare ticket will be £9.00 per person. Up to four children can accompany a Dales Railcard holder for £4.50 each

b) For travel on the Bentham Line, the cost of the day return flat fare ticket will be £7.00 per person. Up to four children can accompany a Dales Railcard holder for £3.50 each

No further discounts are permitted with the offer; it cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion.

The offer tickets can be purchased at a manned station or from the conductor on the train when travelling from an unmanned station or when the booking office is not open. The tickets cannot be purchased on the internet.

http://www.settle-carlisle.co.uk/ti...card/winter-offer-for-dales-railcard-holders/