• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Lrd

Established Member
Yep, just got mine as well. Iirc I signed up for it at about 10am.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CallySleeper

Established Member
I've claimed the voucher and despite all the blurb it now claims it expires on 1/1/2015. Anyone else found this?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, it appears it can be used towards non-EC tickets. Hmm...

Last edited:

extendedpaul

I didn't apply until Sunday evening so very pleasant surprise still to get a code.

I've missed out on all the recent RSH promotions - not even a message to tell me I've been unsuccessful. Their codes seem to go instantly.

I'm not a Sunday Telegraph reader so thanks to Yorkshirebelle for posting the link.:D

Bungle73

On Moderation
I've claimed the voucher and despite all the blurb it now claims it expires on 1/1/2015. Anyone else found this?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, it appears it can be used towards non-EC tickets. Hmm...

What??

I didn't apply for one because I didn't think it would be any use to me because I am not travelling yet......

Class 92

I have the same thing will it expire on that date or will it expire on the date of the email because I don't know if I should keep it for use next year.

dfurn

I have the same thing will it expire on that date or will it expire on the date of the email because I don't know if I should keep it for use next year.

I've got the same thing as well. If EC are anything like RSH they may decide to remove the voucher after the date given in their "Congratula​tions!..." email even though the date is clear for all to see. From the instructions in the email they are suggesting people add the voucher just as they are checking out on a booking, rather than add it to their account for future use. So most people will never see the expiry date. Maybe it's worth just keeping quiet about.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I didn't apply until Sunday evening so very pleasant surprise still to get a code.

I've missed out on all the recent RSH promotions - not even a message to tell me I've been unsuccessful. Their codes seem to go instantly.

I'm not a Sunday Telegraph reader so thanks to Yorkshirebelle for posting the link.:D

Me too. I filled in the link more in hope than expectation on sunday evening and I got a code.

Anyone know if the voucher can be used against East Coast walk up fares, or is it advance purchase tickets only?

Bidstonboy

Me too. I filled in the link more in hope than expectation on sunday evening and I got a code.

Anyone know if the voucher can be used against East Coast walk up fares, or is it advance purchase tickets only?

I have just tried to use my voucher for a return from Newcastle to Morpeth on East Coast services, out at 19.45 and return at 22.28, when I click buy now the following appears- "One of the selected gift eVouchers is restricted to East Coast (except Glasgow) who do not operate your chosen journey." This is in fact incorrect. Am I doing something wrong, or can't I use the voucher for a day return? It redirects me to an option to pay, but I want to use the voucher. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

CallySleeper

Established Member
I have just tried to use my voucher for a return from Newcastle to Morpeth on East Coast services, out at 19.45 and return at 22.28, when I click buy now the following appears- "One of the selected gift eVouchers is restricted to East Coast (except Glasgow) who do not operate your chosen journey." This is in fact incorrect. Am I doing something wrong, or can't I use the voucher for a day return? It redirects me to an option to pay, but I want to use the voucher. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

May be because a day return for that journey is £6.30. I.e. less than the value of the voucher

BlueFox

May be because a day return for that journey is £6.30. I.e. less than the value of the voucher

That shouldn't be a problem. This is what EC said about the voucher:

"If your booking value is less than £10, don't worry, you will have until 5 December to spend the value which will be kept safe in your East Coast account."

Bidstonboy

That shouldn't be a problem. This is what EC said about the voucher:

"If your booking value is less than £10, don't worry, you will have until 5 December to spend the value which will be kept safe in your East Coast account."

Thanks. It is clearly a problem with the ticket type rather than the cash amount. Maybe they can't believe that I will use those services and as the ticket is normally valid for any company, it cannot be endorsed "East Coast Only" and that they would have to give other companies money through ATOC wheras advances are 100% East Coast revenue? However the terms and conditions do not state the validity conclusively, and of course I do not want to cause too much of a fuss by complaining as it may put them off doing a similar offer again in the future!!

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Newcastle to Morpeth fares are set by Northern. Perhaps that causes a problem.

dfurn

Thanks. It is clearly a problem with the ticket type rather than the cash amount. Maybe they can't believe that I will use those services and as the ticket is normally valid for any company, it cannot be endorsed "East Coast Only" and that they would have to give other companies money through ATOC wheras advances are 100% East Coast revenue? However the terms and conditions do not state the validity conclusively, and of course I do not want to cause too much of a fuss by complaining as it may put them off doing a similar offer again in the future!!

For what it's worth I have used my East Coast voucher as part payment for a Wakefield to York Day Return. Actually it's an Anytime Day Return. The ticket just states it's valid via any permitted route, and does not say East Coast Only. The East Coast website suggested I go outward via Leeds and return via Doncaster which gives me a clue as to what the permitted routes may be. I could do this journey not stepping foot on a East Coast train of course. I'll probably check with the guard as I get on the train; that's usually no problem to do.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I'll probably check with the guard as I get on the train; that's usually no problem to do.

Really? I can't imagine they will see anything other than an Anytime Day Return from Wakefield STNS to York! It looked to me like it needs you to select a journey on an EC train, or return a search with EC journeys, or a ticket routed EC/+Connections to qualify.

As usual, unclear and confusing, but if your ticket prints in the normal way there shouldn't even be a need to seek clarification from the guard. :D

Would be interesting to see if the Via Leeds ticket works with it? Probably not?

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The Any Permitted fares between Wakefield Stns and York are set by East Coast, whereas the Via Leeds fares are set by TPE.

I think we have solved the mystery. :)

Starmill

Veteran Member
The Any Permitted fares between Wakefield Stns and York are set by East Coast, whereas the Via Leeds fares are set by TPE.

I think we have solved the mystery. :)

IF the Via Leeds can't be bought using the offer, which is what I just said!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
IF the Via Leeds can't be bought using the offer, which is what I just said!

Well, three posts above we established that a fare set by Northern despite travelling on EC services cannot use the offer, so my mind is made up.

Edvid

Established Member
During Thursday's morning peak (28 November), c2c staff will be giving away Groupsave 'Golden Tickets' at Fenchurch Street, Limehouse and West Ham. Details as follows:

* Good for up to 4 adults AND 4 children
* Can be used anywhere on the c2c network
* Valid for one day in January (I don't think it's a monthly season ticket)

http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/goldenticket

ashworth

Established Member
Just used my East Coast voucher to enable me to travel back from London to Nottingham, changing at Grantham, for just 50p in February.
I thought the East Coast price of only £10.50 for an advance single, early afternoon, was good value compared to EMT, but even better using the voucher at 50p. A journey time of only 1hr 47 minutes too!
I'm not really saving £10 because having got the return journey so cheap, I'm paying an extra £10 on my outward journey from Nottingham to London with EMT on the Friday evening to travel 1st Class.

Last edited:

SGS

The Yorkshire Post is running another promotion in conjunction with East Coast Trains; London for a tenner each way, collect 4 tokens from the paper. The first one was in today's.

http://www2.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/EastCoastRailJan2013/yp.asp

No rush - bookings don't open till 9 December.

This is in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle as well. £12 for London in there, though, and six tokens to collect.

Has anyone ever been asked for the tokens by the guard on East Coast and its predecessors!?

John @ home

Established Member
Has anyone ever been asked for the tokens by the guard on East Coast and its predecessors!?
Yes, once.

The particular circumstances may have prompted the request to see the tokens. Four of us were enjoying lunch in the GNER restaurant car. At that time, this had First Class seating but was open to Standard ticket holders if space was available. We had paid a total of £24 for the Leeds to London tickets: three £8 Standard Reader Offer singles and one child under 5. The cost of the meals was several times that amount.

Last edited:

Edvid

Established Member
I wouldn't usually suggest The Trainline for bookings, but:

* If you're buying >£20 worth of tickets by 7 December,
* You've never registered with them before, and
* Are happy to pay a £1.50 booking fee, plus other applicable fees (e.g. 2.0% extra for payment by credit card)...

...they will pay you a fiver through TopCashBack.

As shocking as it may seem, there are probably a few journeys for which this could be the best deal. That said, I still recommend looking elsewhere for comparison purposes beforehand, this is The Trainline after all.

dfurn

Really? I can't imagine they will see anything other than an Anytime Day Return from Wakefield STNS to York! It looked to me like it needs you to select a journey on an EC train, or return a search with EC journeys, or a ticket routed EC/+Connections to qualify.

As usual, unclear and confusing, but if your ticket prints in the normal way there shouldn't even be a need to seek clarification from the guard. :D

Would be interesting to see if the Via Leeds ticket works with it? Probably not?

Hi well I did indeed use my Wakefield Stations to York Anytime Day Return (via Any Permitted Route) on Saturday 7th. Traveled on East Coast from Wakefield to Doncaster, then East Coast from Doncaster to York. Then eventually back from York to Leeds on Transpennine Express, and Leeds to Wakefield on East Coast. I'd like to report if any of the staff who checked my ticket at any point had questions about its validity, but throughout the journey my ticket was not inspected at any point either at the station entrance(s) nor on the train(s). Oh well. Did get to see Bittern in steam though, which was nice.