• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

tony_mac

Established Member
Agreed, nothing really there to stop non-customers making use of the code,
There is often nothing to stop people evading the correct fare - that doesn't make it right, or something that should be implicitly encouraged. It's not much of a hardship for most people to loan £20 for 6 months and use it legitimately.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Useful, might save me a couple quid come whenever Virgin release advances for the 27th June. Agreed, nothing really there to stop non-customers making use of the code,

Detection that you've broken the terms and conditions of the ticket might be hard.

However if detected, you've an invalid ticket.

I wouldn't risk it.

dvboy

Established Member
There is often nothing to stop people evading the correct fare - that doesn't make it right, or something that should be implicitly encouraged. It's not much of a hardship for most people to loan £20 for 6 months and use it legitimately.

No, and that's exactly what I've done.

The ticket I've booked, when printed, has CORPC as a discount code so at least that might prompt a ticket inspector to check something but there's no obligation that I can see to carry any supporting evidence that you're a Funding Circle customer.

Butts

Veteran Member
It's hardly sensational as the ticket if for off-peak travel. I have however secured an Off-Peak Return from Falkirk to Glasgow for travel in April.

I will be able to use half of it for travelling to work, saves me £6 odd quid and one carnet ticket. :p

Aldaniti

I have a weeks holiday in May and I've just managed to get a Megatrain Preston - Glasgow return for £2.50 and a free Glasgow - Stirling Day Return. What a bargain, and so I'm very much obliged to NORMAN471 for posting this information. :smile:

danbushell

booked tickets through this offer this morning but haven't had an e-mail through as confirmation.
any idea what I should do in contacting Scotrail?

BlueFox

booked tickets through this offer this morning but haven't had an e-mail through as confirmation.

Some people have reported that the ticket emails went to their spam folder.

I'd already got my free ticket, and bought connecting tickets into Scotland, before I read the full terms and conditions, which say "The Free Promotional Tickets can be used to travel on off-peak services ....on weekday off-peak trains between 09.15 – 16.40 and then anytime after 18.15 Monday to Friday. "

Does this mean no travel at all in the evening peak, or would I be able to start my return journey before 16:40, and finish it during the peak time?
If it means no travel at all during those times I'll end up having only 45 minutes at my destination before having to get the return train.

There's no mention of break of journey in the terms and conditions, so presumably breaks would be allowed.

pemma

Veteran Member
There's really nothing there to stop a non-customer using this promotion, is there? Also, it doesn't just appear to be advance tickets as I've just booked a First Anytime Day Single using the discount.

With Virgin Money promotions they do random checks on some people to ensure they are currently a customer, so it could be the same for this.

Cletus

Established Member
http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/offers-and-destinations/sale/

Get 20% off many standard Southeastern Off-Peak tickets online this month. Tickets available online only, for travel until 30 April 2015.

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/offers-and-destinations/sale/saletermsandconditions

1. The 20% discount is available on the following ticket types:

Off-Peak Day Return
Off-Peak Day Single
Off-Peak Return
Super Off-Peak Return
Super Off-Peak Single
2. Restrictions vary for different journeys:

Off-Peak Day tickets are valid after 9:00am.
Off-Peak Day tickets for trains travelling into London are valid to arrive after 10:00am.
Off-Peak Open Return tickets are valid after 9:30am.
Super Off-Peak tickets are valid after 10:00am.
Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak tickets are valid all day at weekends and Bank Holidays.
3. This offer is only available online on tickets purchased through the Southeastern website. Discounted tickets cannot be bought at a ticket office or through any other website.

4. This promotion is open to all Southeastern mainline and high speed journeys. It is not available on journeys wholly within the Oyster card area (London Fare Zones 1-6) or when purchasing a Travelcard.5. Discounts apply to Standard Class only. First Class tickets are not available on this offer.

6. Railcard discounts are not available with this offer.

7. Discounted tickets are available to buy from Tuesday 7 April for the period of travel from Tuesday 7 April to Thursday 30 April 2015 inclusive.

8. Kids for a Quid tickets are available to purchase from ticket offices when a Southeastern 20% OFF discounted adult off-peak day return ticket purchased online is presented.

Standard Kids for a Quid t’s & c’s apply: One adult with an off-peak or super off-peak ticket can take up to 4 kids for a quid each when travelling together off-peak.

9. Normal refund rules apply.

10. There are no quotas for these promotional tickets. It may be taken up by anyone, any amount of times for travel from Tuesday 7 April to Thursday 30 April 2015 inclusive.

No railcard discounts again :(

Kite159

Veteran Member
Come on Southeastern, do a special HS1 £10 day return to Margate/Ramsgate/Dover deal again, that 20% off with no railcard discount is just rubbish

Billy Hicks

So basically completely useless with a railcard, given the 34% discount is going to be bigger than the 20% anyway.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A few years ago all of Southeastern's offers used to offer Railcard discount. I wonder why the last few have stopped?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The SouthEastern thing is really annoying. It just muddies my business case for buying a Network Card, which I generally go down South enough to justify it over a year, but becomes marginal when my ability to use it keeps changing willy-nilly. Alternatively, they could have off-peak fares that aren't extortionate to begin with (fat chance).

Of course, it wouldn't be a problem if it was a National Railcard, but this Country isn't capable of such a thing.

TheJRB

Established Member
I agree with everybody else. Southeastern's offers have been poor in comparison with other operators, especially of late. Add to this the fact that there are no day rover tickets in Kent and it paints a dismal picture compared to plenty of other franchises, say for example London Midland (also GoVia run) with its frequent Great Escape offer.

I'd guess it has something to to with the direct award that was awarded last year which probably lacks the same requirement for special offers. If you ask me, it's about time that Kent wasn't treated as the poor relation.

Butts

Veteran Member
Just had a "Crap Offer" via e-mail from Virgin Trains (West Coast)

£10 off Advanced Fares when spending at least £50 !!!

Not even valid on Advanced 1st Tickets......

****e or what <D

Donachie

Some people have reported that the ticket emails went to their spam folder.

I'd already got my free ticket, and bought connecting tickets into Scotland, before I read the full terms and conditions, which say "The Free Promotional Tickets can be used to travel on off-peak services ....on weekday off-peak trains between 09.15 – 16.40 and then anytime after 18.15 Monday to Friday. "

Does this mean no travel at all in the evening peak, or would I be able to start my return journey before 16:40, and finish it during the peak time?
If it means no travel at all during those times I'll end up having only 45 minutes at my destination before having to get the return train.

There's no mention of break of journey in the terms and conditions, so presumably breaks would be allowed.

Received my ticket this morning in the post. Seems they are aware of issues with e mails and non arrival of tickets.

Donachie.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Just had a "Crap Offer" via e-mail from Virgin Trains (West Coast)

£10 off Advanced Fares when spending at least £50 !!!

Not even valid on Advanced 1st Tickets......

****e or what <D

I'm sure they will be happy to let you pay the full price if you prefer. 20% off sounds pretty good to me.

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm sure they will be happy to let you pay the full price if you prefer. 20% off sounds pretty good to me.

I only travel 1st Class on my Trips so it is as much use as a chocolate teapot to me :roll:

The point is I may have been tempted if it was not only for "cattle" this way I spend nothing.

Billy Hicks

Much more like it with East Midlands Trains £10 off email received today, including all Railcard discounts and advance fares.

I've only gone and paid £1.90 return for a trip up to Nottingham next month!

Searle

Established Member
Much more like it with East Midlands Trains £10 off email received today, including all Railcard discounts and advance fares.

I've only gone and paid £1.90 return for a trip up to Nottingham next month!

It's also worth noting you can get a cheap travelcard (55p weekend, £3.85 weekday with railcard) with the voucher if you got one!

shadzz

It's also worth noting you can get a cheap travelcard (55p weekend, £3.85 weekday with railcard) with the voucher if you got one!

it doesnt seem to allow st pancras -> london u123456
how did you make it? by the way, my wife didn't receive any voucher, so maybe it is not for everyone or only 1 per household.