• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach West/South West/South Wales - Fleet News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

embers25

Established Member
Hi All,
Due to a RTA this afternoon at Kilmington East Devon the 15.10 Exeter to Axminster service with 34862 had to divert running after reversal back to Taunton Cross Dalwood then via Stockland to A30 and Chard road as far as Yarcombe where due to coolent loss it was failed with all 10 of us on board having to alight and wait for assistance to arrive from Exeter.
This duly arrived with new SR 48012 which took us all onto Axminster via Chard which must have been the first Stagecoach Exeter SR to visit the roads of Somerset as well as Axminster no doubt.
Arrival at Axminster was 18.30 approx.
Cheers Mike Russell

Ive done Exeter to Yeovil all stops on a Stagecoach Devon Solo which took ages but made a change from the train!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rapidash

Anyone know if the madness of the 12 has been sorted? Before I went away, nothing was getting to Paignton in the evenings that wasn't over 1 1/2 hr late, which resulted in drivers timing out, and leaving us Brixhamites in a queue with 100 fellow wannabe passengers, resulting in a mad scramble for spare drivers to drive whichever bus has finished being cleaned for the night.

Would it be impossible to have 1 bph turn around at Lawes Bridge and just do a circuit of the bay? We have another month of this at minimum. ....

To misquote Dale Winton, Bring On The Bypass!

Temple Meads

Established Member
Anyone know if the madness of the 12 has been sorted? Before I went away, nothing was getting to Paignton in the evenings that wasn't over 1 1/2 hr late, which resulted in drivers timing out, and leaving us Brixhamites in a queue with 100 fellow wannabe passengers, resulting in a mad scramble for spare drivers to drive whichever bus has finished being cleaned for the night.

Would it be impossible to have 1 bph turn around at Lawes Bridge and just do a circuit of the bay? We have another month of this at minimum. ....

To misquote Dale Winton, Bring On The Bypass!

It wasn't too bad when I was there a couple of weeks ago, okay, there were delays, but most buses seemed to get where they were supposed to go.

I'm guessing there's been an influx of even more tourists and language students in the week following though!

CD

Ive done Exeter to Yeovil all stops on a Stagecoach Devon Solo which took ages but made a change from the train!

How did you manage that?

4 goes from Exeter-Axminster and 99 from Chard-Yeovil, but no Stagecoach route in between?

richw

Veteran Member
Graham on The Plymothian Transit website now lists the Stagecoach buses that are in the process of moving to Plymouth ahead of the tranfer of operations from First bus.

www.plymothiantransit.com

All subject to investigation by the CMA of course!

I can't see their being an issue with the CMA. Stagecoach don't operate in this area, and PCB are there for competition, so a straight swap first for stagecoach.

Colly405

Not sure they need a decker as a back up - more appropriate traction would be a tandem. Every time I see the coach on the Belles Express it is either empty or with one passenger on! BTW - There is also the driver!!!

A bit delayed in posting, but on Saturday at 11am the Belles disgorged 12 passengers at Cribbs, and picked up 6 for the return.

And at 2pm at Cribbs, I didn't see the passengers, but the vehicle was a Gold 'decker.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
A bunch of Enviro 300s from Carlisle have arrived in Plymouth ready for the takeover of First operations. They are YY14 reg.

baza585

DaveHarries

Established Member
belles express seems like a joke - even i could do a better job with the marketing and advertising - wouldn't be surprised if belles express was quietly withdrawn before christmas

carlberry

Established Member
It surprises me that Carlisle are getting rid of what are still fairly new vehicles quite so soon.

Dave

I suspect that Carlise didnt want to get rid of them, they were told to! Stagecoach have done this a few times in the past where new vehicles are passed around if it benefits the group overall. The 'losing' depot usually get replacements from the next year's purchases.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
belles express seems like a joke - even i could do a better job with the marketing and advertising - wouldn't be surprised if belles express was quietly withdrawn before christmas

From what I've seen it's been advertised well, certainly better than the corresponding commuter services from North Somerset are. I can’t see it changing before Christmas because the daytime service should get more popular at that time after which it might be reviewed.

mbonwick

Established Member
Carlisle got new Solo SRs earlier in the year to replace the E200s. The logic being that the Solos are more size appropriate for most of the off-peak.

The Tridents from Fife have become available due to the loss of tendered school work - nothing to do with age this year for a change!

Rapidash

Apparently there's a pay dispute in Torbay at the moment, with a slim possibility of strike action . If they do it at the same time as the trains, I may genuinely want to cry in frustration.

ValleyLines142

Established Member

LAIRA

Viewed The Ride this afternoon and noted

17002/10/11/66 17289
33870/74/76
34609/613
37114-37120 37113 was on promotion work in Plymouth City Centre
47086/89/90

Also present of interest was First 34177

This is not a complete list as some buses were not viewable.

Regards Colin

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Invariably when heading north on the M5, I seem to pass something coming the other way at Falfield. A few weeks ago, it was PCB Yellow Flashes on delivery.

Today it was 2 ex Stagecoach NE Darts and a Trident. Think one Dart was 34612. Assuming these are heading for Plymouth

Temple Meads

Established Member
Have heard a rumour that a couple of the MCV Evolutions will be settling at Exeter with some Exeter Pointer Darts heading to Plymouth.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Have heard a rumour that a couple of the MCV Evolutions will be settling at Exeter with some Exeter Pointer Darts heading to Plymouth.

Was mentioned on one of the Yahoo groups by an Exeter driver/controller.

Sounds like the MCVs might be a little temperamental and IIRC, they've been held in reserve so makes sense to send some tried and tested kit to Plymouth.

mbonwick

Established Member
The MCVs will need a fair bit of TLC.

Due to the weight of the MCV body, the engine is worked harder than in more 'normal' darts. Additionally, these vehicles suffered terribly from a lack of proper maintainence when Bluebird finances were going down the pan before Stagecoach bought them.

Add to that several months in reserve without turning a wheel and I'm amazed so many made it down to the South West!!

Surreyman

The MCVs will need a fair bit of TLC.

Due to the weight of the MCV body, the engine is worked harder than in more 'normal' darts. Additionally, these vehicles suffered terribly from a lack of proper maintainence when Bluebird finances were going down the pan before Stagecoach bought them.

Add to that several months in reserve without turning a wheel and I'm amazed so many made it down to the South West!!

I have gained the (not very scientific) impression that MCV bodied MAN 14.220s are not the most popular vehicles around, I note that Stagecoach have withdrawn the South Wales fleet and are starting to withdraw the Yorkshire fleet (one sold), I suspect they are only keeping them in reserve as they are DDA compliant.

iantherev

I have gained the (not very scientific) impression that MCV bodied MAN 14.220s are not the most popular vehicles around, I note that Stagecoach have withdrawn the South Wales fleet and are starting to withdraw the Yorkshire fleet (one sold), I suspect they are only keeping them in reserve as they are DDA compliant.

Stagecoach Cymru are not that keen on the MAN engine in any shape or form - all but 2 of the Enviro 300s have gone or received Cummins engines and some of the Solos have received similar treatment.

mbonwick

Established Member
To be fair though, most of the Wales fleet is based on the lower power 14.190 chassis. Even then it's not surprising that they've been pulled from service as they are rather non-standard within that fleet.

In Yorkshire, none of the MCVs have been withdrawn yet - those that have gone are East Lancs bodied. (*Insert comment about typical EL build quality*)

The plan in Yorkshire is for all the East Lancs MAN 14.220s to be gone by the end of the year, but the MCV examples will be staying.

padbus

There was a Van Hool TD9 Astromega in full Stagecoach livery in Exeter bus station this afternoon. I assume this was on Megabus duties as it seems a bit grand for the X38 to Plymouth.

Any news on the Gold E400s for the 57 (Exmouth) service? Earlier reports suggested they should be due about now.

Rapidash

There was a Van Hool TD9 Astromega in full Stagecoach livery in Exeter bus station this afternoon. I assume this was on Megabus duties as it seems a bit grand for the X38 to Plymouth.

Any news on the Gold E400s for the 57 (Exmouth) service? Earlier reports suggested they should be due about now.

57 is going gold? Seems an odd choice! Surely the X services to Plymouth/Dartmouth are more Gold friendly? I can imagine the 56 going gold, but I doubt an E300 could do some of the tighter corners....

Hang on, would they be sending the 400's from the 57 down to Torquay to eliminate Tridents? Nooooo......

Last edited:

Temple Meads

Established Member

Yes, that Astromega would have been on Megabus - Stagecoach South Wales have a couple in S/C corporate livery.

Golds are due in November now, apparently. That is third-hand information to me though, so the usual disclaimers apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.