• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with a Pub on the Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark62

The bar on Sheffield station is the most expensive pub I have ever been in. One beer was £9 per pint. Same beer in my local last night cost £4!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HowardGWR

Established Member
The one on Bristol TM used to be a favourite haunt of one of my uncles to nip in for a quick one. (The only snag was that he was on duty as a porter, whoops).

Howardh

Established Member
It's a cafe I suppose, but you can get a beer @ Oxford Road.

ASharpe

The bar on Sheffield station is the most expensive pub I have ever been in. One beer was £9 per pint. Same beer in my local last night cost £4!

Really? What beer was that?

I had a few pints there a few weeks ago and don't recall the price being excessive. A bit more than typical Yorkshire prices but not far from Guildford prices.

The Parcel Yard at Kings Cross is very expensive.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Some recent ones I forgot were Hartlepool (has strange opening hours) and Pembroke Dock - though although both are on platform side station buildings don't think they have access to the platform. Also Urmston although you can actually access the covered smoking area on the platform you can't actually access the platform.

class303

Glasgow Central has Bonapartes:
504f6596df6c2_1.jpg

504f6596df6c2_8.jpg

Also has the "Beer House", previously the Arrol.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
£9!!! a pint!........what were you drinking?

I think its a belting boozer.

i'd agree. Great pub. £9 a pint? i'll have whatever he's been smoking

user15681

Established Member
Well with other concourse style pubs mentioned I'll say London Victoria, which has 2 with the Iron Duke and the Wetherspoons. (Not sure if a post earlier meant the London or Manchester Victoria? Apologies if the one I've just said was what you meant)

The opposite of course is The Banker, which is a pub directly underneath Cannon Street platforms.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
These are a few that spring to mind, although you can't get on the platforms from them.

London Paddington - The Mad Bishop and Bear above The Lawn: good food and drink, although the latter was quite expensive when I was there last.

Edinburgh Waverly - I think that it's called Coopers? (I haven't been in there).

Newport (South Wales) High Street Station use to have a large refreshment room which was once used for formal Dinners. I have a menu for the dinner following the Newport RFC versus (I think) South Africa match in 1961.
These are a couple of good articles -

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/blog/2010/jun/29/uk-railway-station-pubs

(with a few different pubs named in the comments section, as well.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ion-themed-pub-Britain-year-tour-country.html

(now that's the kind of "job" I'd like!)

:)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Well with other concourse style pubs mentioned I'll say London Victoria, which has 2 with the Iron Duke and the Wetherspoons. (Not sure if a post earlier meant the London or Manchester Victoria? Apologies if the one I've just said was what you meant)

The opposite of course is The Banker, which is a pub directly underneath Cannon Street platforms.

London Victoria.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Until the redevelopment Kings Cross had a pub on platform 8, often with seating on the platform.

Extremely useful if your train was departing from platform 8!

sprinterguy

Established Member
My favourite has to be at Bridgnorth!
I rate the Railwayman’s Arms at Bridgnorth very highly, it’s one of my favourite haunts to while away an hour or two on a Saturday afternoon. I think these days though it is pipped to the post in terms of station pubs by the York Tap: They’ve made so much better use of that building than the dingy old model railway, revealing that superb domed glass roof.
The Parcel Yard at Kings Cross is very expensive.
It is very expensive. Unfortunately that seems to increasingly be the way with Fullers’ “flagship” pubs: Even the Old Joint Stock in Birmingham has hit £4 a pint now. The Parcel Yard does admittedly do one heck of a range of very well kept Fullers’ ales, though I’m usually swayed by the delights of the Betjeman Arms over the road at St Pancras.

Astonished to hear of a £9 pint in the Sheffield tap. If it was there at all then it has got to have been some sort of speciality beer.

duffield

Established Member
Astonished to hear of a £9 pint in the Sheffield tap. If it was there at all then it has got to have been some sort of speciality beer.

I visit the tap fairly regularly and the 'proper' cider which I favour is about £3-£4 a pint including some fairly lethal stuff. I've also bought various beers for others and have no memory of wallet pain...

However, I seem to remember the drinks menu had a few special imports which *might* have approached £9 a pint but they were very much the exception and probably the sort of thing you would only have a half of.

telstarbox

Established Member
Although not all the beers are £9 per pint, the Tap is still one of the most expensive pubs in Sheffield. Beats sitting in Pumpkin though!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Do we count the pseudo-pubs at Crewe and Derby which are the other end of the room from an Upper Crust or similar?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
St Pancras International has a champagne bar right next to the eurostar platforms and a pub (the John Betjeman?) a short way away. Sloane Square (District Line, London Underground, closed in 1970s) must have been closest to tracks of any - wait for train to come into westbound platform, open its doors, and run from your seat as the doors began to close. Can you imagine the H&S Executive allowing that now?!

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
St Pancras International has a champagne bar right next to the eurostar platforms and a pub (the John Betjeman?) a short way away. Sloane Square (District Line, London Underground, closed in 1970s) must have been closest to tracks of any - wait for train to come into westbound platform, open its doors, and run from your seat as the doors began to close. Can you imagine the H&S Executive allowing that now?!

The Sloane Square bar was one of the smallest in the country with room for about 7 people at most. The was also Moriarty's up the steps a bit at Baker Street and also a bar at Liverpool Street that actually served straight on to the platform - no sitting place at all.
There are legends about certain Circle staff who exchanged glasses at each of the establishment - but that was in the days of a 'different' railway.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Last time I was at Charing Cross c 18 months ago there was a small bar with decent ale right next to steps up from Villiers Street, a few yards from platform gates

Carlisle

Established Member
I seem to remember there is one linked to Annan station

Last edited:

Gadfly

It would be nice to convert some old manual signal boxes into pubs. The levers could act as beer-pumps. "A pint of down home / up starter please!"

davetheguard

Established Member
Manningtree?

Called in there yesterday to get a couple of teas while we waited for the train to London. Interior pretty basic to say the least, and the wooden benches outside next to the Harwich bay (and owned by the pub) were all dirty & so rotten that some of the wood had completely gone. Yuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.