• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stopping at boundary station with a season ticket and a West Yorkshire MetroCard

Status
Not open for further replies.

John @ home

Established Member
it a guide, or is it conditions that are part of the contract between every metrocard user and the selling outlet?
The Guide is rather more accurate than the current MetroCard terms and conditions.
MetroCard terms and conditions

Holders of MetroCard are carried on services subject to Metro’s Conditions of Use and the Conditions of Carriage of the operator in question, i.e. the relevant bus company or train operator. In addition passengers are subject to PCV Regulations and local byelaws.
http://www.wymetro.com/TicketsAndPasses/MetroCards/metrocardconditions.htm

6: When you can use your MetroCard
Where a passenger holds two or more zonal tickets in combination or one is a rail season ticket and one is not, then the train does not need to call at the station where they change from one to the other. (Please note that these combinations of tickets do not apply to non-stopping trains operated by Virgin, GNER and Midland Mainline).
http://www.railforums.co.uk/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=934545

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bluenoxid

Established Member
I see this thread and I am so confused. I am travelling Keighley to London and have a metrocard. Do I need a Keighley to London or Wakefield to London ticket if I use the early morning east coast service?

The train stops at that station so I struggle to see how non stopping east coast service restrictions apply on that

34D

Established Member
I see this thread and I am so confused. I am travelling Keighley to London and have a metrocard. Do I need a Keighley to London or Wakefield to London ticket if I use the early morning east coast service?

The train stops at that station so I struggle to see how non stopping east coast service restrictions apply on that

Assuming your metrocard covers WY zones 1-4, then buying wakefield-london is fine - there are one or two EC services a day that don't stop at Wakefield though.

The issue in this thread is can you just buy South Elmsall-London - which because the metrocard is a WYPTE ticket you cannot do.

34D

Established Member
That is what I was thinking. I will pick One up

Just checked the trains that don't call Wakefield.

If you're a railway enthusiast, see PSUL http://www.psul4all.free-online.co.uk/2012.htm

If you're a normal person, then on saturdays the skipton/keighley to London is one, and every day the late night London-Leeds is the other (train doesn't run sat nights).

MoonBog

I commute between Leeds and Doncaster on East Coast with a 5-Zone Metro Card and a season ticket between South Elmsall and Doncaster, The train doesn't stop at South Elmsall.

Most guards never had a problem with this combination, but last October a guard told me it wasn't a valid combination. I made a complaint to EC Customer Relations, quoting NRCoC Condition 19, but they refused to back down so I took it to Customer Focus. Eventually (last Friday) East Coast informed me through Customer Focus that it IS a valid ticket combination for this journey, and that they had informed all relevant staff.

The reason I gave them that it was valid, and the reason they finally conceded it was valid was 19c, that my Metro Card is not a season ticket (it was issued on behalf of WYPTE), and the other is a season ticket, so the train does not have to stop at a particular station.

34D

Established Member
I'm surprised you had to go this far with it. But congratulations for standing your ground.

island

Veteran Member
Good for you, MoonBog, and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately rumour has it that 19c will be withdrawn soon :(

yorksrob

Veteran Member
With regard to NRCoC section 19c, does anyone know the rationale around allowing season ticket holders to split with a ticket at a passing station but not a metrocard holder ?

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
With regard to NRCoC section 19c, does anyone know the rationale around allowing season ticket holders to split with a ticket at a passing station but not a metrocard holder ?

Not entirely sure, but probably historically something to do with revenue allocation - the prices of PTE products such as Metrocards will be set by the local authority, who will collect the money and divvi it up amongst bus operators and all sorts of other people. As opposed to a Rail season ticket which will all go into Rail Settlement Plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.