• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Doris Thursday 23rd - Major disruption on some routes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gavin

NR: A problem at a level crossing at Blackpool North means that all lines to and from this station are currently blocked.

robbeech

Established Member
<warning : Retford rant coming up>

I notice VTEC have scrapped the **08 York stopping services today, leaving anyone with connections at Retford in excess of 1hr waiting time there, it appears they've dropped Retford in as an additional stop on some of the Leeds services but of course they're not quite on the alternate hour meaning a connection to Worksop or Sheffield is 1hr or more.
I know they can't do everything for everyone and I am absolutely moaning for the sake of it half in jest but it is always the first to get hit even though it already has a poor service from there.

tsr

Established Member
Further tree issues in the Hurst Green area, as well as near the site of the original issues near Edenbridge Tunnel (tree damaged in front of chainsaw gang who were just leaving!). Personally speaking (as someone who knows the route extremely well), I'd advise not heading onto any route via Oxted until at least the start of the evening peak.

Trees/debris also affecting GN at Sandy, Peterborough and Meldreth.

Latter confirmed to be on the OHLE contact wire.

Last edited:

Andyjs247

Chiltern Railways various cancellations between Bicester North - Banbury. I understand there is a tree down. 1G19 0940 MYB-BMO has made it through to Birmingham but following 1U19 and 1R21 terminated at Bicester. 1G23, 1U23 also terminated at BCS
This in addition to 50mph speed restrictions and other cancellations.

tsr

Established Member
Trains to be held at stations or cancelled on the Oxted Lines.

Quarry Lines now open (for the time being).

Down Line (only) now open at Robertsbridge.

Plastic bag on contact wire at Welham Green.

I expect Kings Cross will go the way of Euston in having departures suspended for a time, though I could be wrong - not heard anything official but the service is really very precarious currently.

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
Damaged tree at Sutton just removed. A tree which is down to the north of Oxted is next in the queue.

Delays of 1-3 hours for individual trains on the Oxted route.

Last edited:

Searle

Established Member
Seems like everywhere has gone to pot (except the good old 313s on the Hertford loop!). Tree on line at Meldreth and an obstruction at Sandy are screwing everything up with GN and EC

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
Debris just reported to have been struck by train at Elephant & Castle, not far from the earlier Loughborough Jn issues.

Seems like everywhere has gone to pot (except the good old 313s on the Hertford loop!). Trees on line at Meldreth and Huntingdon are screwing everything up with GN and EC

Some other Moorgate services are being delayed by the Welham Green issue. Perhaps the Hertford Loop may experience knock-on delays even if there's no major debris to report yet.

Normal working resumed at Sandy.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
As of 10 past 12, ECML north of Berwick still blocked but roomered to be reopening. Flood water reduced or otherwise dealth with and inspections complete at Lockerbie meaning North WCML open again with delays. East Coast pax being bustitued to Newcastle or told to wate to see if Line reopeneded.

Stock for TPE's 12:12 Manchester was in P14 but despite this being my booked train I did not use as was already at Market Street for the replacement coaches which had been arranged to Carlisle and was able to jump onto VT's 10:51 departure which was still sitting in P9 and which was given prioritty of Transpenine. Now south of Carstairs and whilst not the storming run we're all used to we are certainly getting on with it. This train terminating at Preston today, or thats the latest info.

Darandio

Established Member
Things are trying to move north of Crewe, but 9S47 has just departed there 164 down. Many others now exceeding the 2 hour late mark.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I expect Kings Cross will go the way of Euston in having departures suspended for a time, though I could be wrong - not heard anything official but the service is really very precarious currently.

It probably does make sense to suspend now (lunchtime and early afternoon are very quiet) in order to plan (subject to moving goalposts) what to run in the evening peak and get stock and staff in the right places to do it.

Suraggu

1T42 hit a tree between Fareham and Botley. Crew and NR staff onboard managed to clear what was left of the tree. Away 19 late.

robbeech

Established Member
Sounds like you're getting there all be it slowly. What was your original eta in London and have you any idea how massively that is likely to change?

jfollows

Established Member
Wilmslow-Crewe line blocked at Holmes Chapel and Mid-Cheshire line obstructed at Plumley.

I suspect the Holmes Chapel one might be a fence .....

Attachments

• WCML 23 February 2017 5 at 1303.jpg
    WCML 23 February 2017 5 at 1303.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 96
  • WCML 23 February 2017 4 at 1302.jpg
    WCML 23 February 2017 4 at 1302.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 100

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
*Stagecoach* VTEC won't accept *Stagecoach* EMT passengers? Now there's a new low.

What's with the obsession on Stagecoach ownership?

They are two separate franchises and ticket acceptance will be arranged as per normal practice between TOCs.

broadgage

1T42 hit a tree between Fareham and Botley. Crew and NR staff onboard managed to clear what was left of the tree. Away 19 late.

Was it simply good luck that NR staff were on board ? Or is there a policy of putting such staff on certain trains in bad weather in case of trees or other obstructions.

tsr

Established Member
Horsham-Dorking closed now.

Ewell East tree (another one? No idea!) has trapped a train.

Oxted route and Tadworth still at a stand.

Looks like Peterborough is now open so maybe crisis averted at Kings Cross, for now.

EDIT:
Some lines at Peterborough still blocked but trains running through, but...

All lines blocked at Sandy again - roof on the track.

Last edited:

Wookiee

As the last storm that the media predicted would be called Doris (from. The a-z American style list which I guess the UK will abandon soon..) never materialised, then expect a light breeze and weather associated with a northern hemisphere winter (it's mid February btw).

A bit of wind doesn't need to become a Disney drama.

Any luck?

tsr

Established Member
Power off Holloway-Alexandra P.

Fire service dealing with roof at Sandy.

Tree down on Down Slow/Down Spur just south of Sydenham.

We have movement via Oxted!

First tree dealt with at West Wickham, another down.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Sounds like you're getting there all be it slowly. What was your original eta in London and have you any idea how massively that is likely to change?

If this was aimed at Me then I think the answer is wate and see at Preston. I think it largely depends on what trains and crews are available, if the trent valley remains blocked, how many trains the West Midlands can handle if it is and more importantly what Aunty Dorris is doing!
Booked arrival Euston was 17:13, not gunna happen now :lol:

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Things are not much better for the airlines. Very few planes getting in at Manchester with a number of go-arounds and subsequent diversions. Liverpool not much better. Doris has come with a full set of teeth!

Wookiee

Things are not much better for the airlines. Very few planes getting in at Manchester with a number of go-arounds and subsequent diversions. Liverpool not much better. Doris has come with a full set of teeth!

No, no, it's just "a bit of wind". :D:D

misterredmist

They seem to be heading in at MAN again now , looking at the 'METARS', it would appear the crosswind component would have been off limits for the last couple of hours for many operators.

Status
Not open for further replies.