• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XCTurbostar

Established Member
They'll probably end up putting the numbers back on top of the cab windows.

Domh245

Established Member

Good to see. The video wasn't particularly good quality, so it looked like the numbers had been removed (indeed the mock up that was shown on here at franchise launch also had them removed, with the numbers on the sides á la TPE)

Interesting to see that the stripes continue all the way along the bodyside - I thought they were limited to the dark blue sections but seemingly not - I don't think the yellow stripe at floor level has the same effect - I think that's the Pallisade fencing. Would agree that the first class markings seem quite poor.

abn444

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Still don't see the point of using the words "South West Railway" and the abbreviation "SWR" in two places on the leading coach.

I'd not bother with the bit by the drivers door, seems completely unneccessary duplication.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I really like that livery, it looks good

I like the shapes, and the branding is growing on me, but it needs some colour. Light blue doors would do it, though I suppose might look a bit like the Southeastern livery. It also needs a yellow 1st stripe (as should IMO be a mandatory standard).

DenmarkRail

My main issue with this new livery, is the lack of inspiration, to try to get people to travel by train. Something that VTEC/VTWC have right is an element of 'sexiness' to their brand, through the use of different campaigns... For example, the red on their trains, makes people think "Virgin Train" but the lack of substantial branding on other operators, make people feel uninspired... SWT never really picked up on Virgin's brand inspiration, but they certainly made their image good enough to be recognised as a Stagecoach company.

This new livery looks too similar to most other operators now days, and they lack brand independence, from similar operators. The idea of a train operator, especially SWR should be to drag people away from driving to London, and to take the train, but their brand lacks anything significant to drag anyone in. There is nothing to distinguish it from the rest of the national operators.

Hope you get what I mean...

Lockwood

Kind of, but I'm not going to think "That train is red! I think I'll use that to go to Waterloo! Oh. That one is grey. I'll drive in that case."

physics34

Established Member
My main issue with this new livery, is the lack of inspiration, to try to get people to travel by train. Something that VTEC/VTWC have right is an element of 'sexiness' to their brand, through the use of different campaigns... For example, the red on their trains, makes people think "Virgin Train" but the lack of substantial branding on other operators, make people feel uninspired... SWT never really picked up on Virgin's brand inspiration, but they certainly made their image good enough to be recognised as a Stagecoach company.

This new livery looks too similar to most other operators now days, and they lack brand independence, from similar operators. The idea of a train operator, especially SWR should be to drag people away from driving to London, and to take the train, but their brand lacks anything significant to drag anyone in. There is nothing to distinguish it from the rest of the national operators.

Hope you get what I mean...

thing is, i think the old SWT livery is too bright and doesnt attract me to the train either. SOmeone described it as Toytown!

This livery is professional and corporate.

Established Member
It looks alright, but I'm still not a massive fan of that livery.

I might change my mind when I see it in person, but I expect that'll probably be next year at the earliest.

CosherB

Established Member
I suspect the devil is in the detail - I'd imagine that it looks a lot better 'in the flesh' than when reproduced via pictures.

Being a relatively simple livery without lurid splashes of contemporary colours, it will age well over the years, just like the GWR livery. I'd say that's an equitable trade-off for looking a bit boring in late 2017.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Saw it twice today...Once on the WR going towards Waterloo but then it got hidden by another train...also saw it? again somewhere round Twickenham.Looks nice although I didn't realise till I saw it from the side.Not sure of unit number and whether there is more than one unit knocking about.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Will the 455/456s get repainted?

I don't think so, especially the 455s, as they have just completed a full repaint programme. They should be off lease well before any sort of repaint is due. I'd then see little point in painting the 456s as they mostly work with 455s...

TEW

Established Member
The 456s were repainted at refurbishment too, which is only a few years ago.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The 456s were repainted at refurbishment too, which is only a few years ago.

I wasn't sure about them. I don't see the 458/5s getting any treatment either, they must have had a proper paint job to get them into the blue scheme as well.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
The ones that will be going off lease once the Aventras start to enter service, will probably just have the old SWTs logo removed and vinyls with with the SWR logo added.

What's with the diagonal stripe pattern of the new livery all the way along?

DenmarkRail

thing is, i think the old SWT livery is too bright and doesnt attract me to the train either. SOmeone described it as Toytown!

This livery is professional and corporate.

But should we be corperate, when most of the nation is now 'Anti Corperation' or should train companies use branding to their advantage, and inspire people with their campaigns, and brands??

Domh245

Established Member
What's with the diagonal stripe pattern of the new livery all the way along?

It seems that the diagonal stripes (Presumably derived from their logo, itself derived from the route map) is a key theme of the brand. Certainly different, and quite interesting to look at.

ash39

Established Member
My views on the livery/brand:

The stripes look quite good and brighten up an otherwise plain livery. The way they stop in line with the cab looks unfinished and sloppy though.

The 'South Western Railway' lettering on the coach sides is too big. I've always been taught that logos should have 'breathing space' around them, not squashed in.

The colours are uninspiring. I get that it's meant to be timeless and not necessarily in line with latest trends, but it still shouldn't mean it has to be dull.

It won't look great when units are paired up and there's a large dark chunk in the middle.

It might be my eyes but from the photos I've seen, I can't tell if it's blue or green !

On the positive side, I like the stripes as said. I also like that they've retained the numbers on front of the desiro, unlike TPE who removed theirs. They look odd without them.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It will be interesting to see where that SWR will go on a 158/9 as there probably won't be space between the cab window & the doors

Domh245

Established Member
It might be my eyes but from the photos I've seen, I can't tell if it's blue or green !

On the positive side, I like the stripes as said. I also like that they've retained the numbers on front of the desiro, unlike TPE who removed theirs. They look odd without them.

It's blue - all the rest of the branding is done in Grey/Blue, not a hint of green to be seen.

As for the numbers, just because it's like this on the launch train, doesn't mean it'll stay the same on later ones, compare the TPE initial launch train with the latter ones.

26075800102_dd1dc8105f_b.jpg

Original

35988622414_43675be7ea_b.jpg

Latter

simple simon

I think the SWR company name on the train sides will really stand out at night. I even wonder if its 'glow in the dark' paint!

Ah well, with winter approaching we are likely to find out sooner rather than later.

Simon

ps: I've place a photo and video of the new livery in the video section of this website

Nammer

444040 is in service today on 2T05 0618 Winchester - Portsmouth Hbr (country end of 10 car formation)