• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

DelW

Established Member
Isn't that the one that's had the logos for quite a while?
May well have had - it was my first visit to the island since last autumn. It may have been reported on here, but I didn't remember having seen it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lockwood

I don't think you can actually see the train from the ferry, the pier head buildings and platform screen are in the way (and the train only arrives after the ferry has docked). But the name and logo is probably big enough to read if there is a possible angle.

I meant the car ferry. I'm sure there's an angle that would work from that one

dorsetdesiro

I don't think you can actually see the train from the ferry, the pier head buildings and platform screen are in the way (and the train only arrives after the ferry has docked). But the name and logo is probably big enough to read if there is a possible angle.

None of the other units appear to have the new logo yet - certainly the other unit in service on Saturday had plain red sides, as did the other visible units at St John's.

As mentioned above, the trains can't be seen from the ferry however I reckon the new Island Line logos are so ridiculously big, if the pier head buildings weren't in the way, these possibly could be seen from the ferry or even from the Spinnaker Tower!

https://www.visitisleofwight.co.uk/dbimgs/blog-islandline-trains.jpg

WessexCS

Came up from WOK last night on an internal SWR and external SWT 450 - I was actually really disappointed - yes, the carpet felt plush and it smelt like new, but all of the remaining SWT branding was still there, from the stickers explaining how to 'recline' in 1st to the wi-fi - do the job properly or don't do it at all, it looks like it's going to be a refresh on a shoe string, which for one of the DfT's best returning franchises is a huge disappointment. The SWT branding/interior lasted for 15 years or there abouts and still looked pretty smart - I give this new interior 4/5 years at best, very sad.

DelW

Established Member
I meant the car ferry. I'm sure there's an angle that would work from that one
Oh, sorry, I see what you mean. The Fishbourne ferry track is somewhat to the west, but it might well be possible to read the logo from the deck of those.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The SWT branding/interior lasted for 15 years or there abouts and still looked pretty smart - I give this new interior 4/5 years at best, very sad.
What makes you say that? The seats have been repadded and recovered so why shouldn't they last another 15 years? In fact the SWT seats were mostly badly collapsed and should have been repadded well before now.

DelW

Established Member
Came up from WOK last night on an internal SWR and external SWT 450 - I was actually really disappointed - yes, the carpet felt plush and it smelt like new, but all of the remaining SWT branding was still there.
On Saturday I was on 450 033 which has had carpets and upholstery changed but still has SWT livery. I assumed the internal and external works were done by different workforces or at different locations. Anything that helps speed up the re-upholstery is good in my book, it makes the 450s a little less uncomfortable. I'm hoping the 442s on the Direct may mean I don't need to travel on 450s too much longer though.

Silverlink

I reckon the units that have gone for part refurbishment will probably stay that way for the rest of the franchise. Only thing that will probably change is the stickers inside.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I reckon the units that have gone for part refurbishment will probably stay that way for the rest of the franchise. Only thing that will probably change is the stickers inside.
Then SWR will be in breach of the franchise agreement as it required a reduction in 1st Class seats and an increase in Standard class seats.

Domh245

Established Member
It'll be like the TPE refurbishments - the first few will be a basic reupholstering whilst they sort out the full refurbishment, after which they'll all be done to the full spec and then the early examples will go back at the end to get redone.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It'll be like the TPE refurbishments - the first few will be a basic reupholstering whilst they sort out the full refurbishment, after which they'll all be done to the full spec and then the early examples will go back at the end to get redone.

Seems a very convoluted process, wouldn't it be better to do the full works to start with as surely overall this method takes longer?

Domh245

Established Member
Depends on if your contract requires a certain amount of the fleet 'refreshed' by a certain date - the franchise agreement says:

"The Franchisee shall: (a) use all reasonable endeavours to modify and refresh all Class 444 and Class 450 rolling stock vehicles comprised in the Train Fleet by no later than 31 December 2018, provided that the Franchisee shall not be in breach of the Franchise Agreement if it has not done so by such date if it has used all reasonable endeavours to do so. Under such circumstances the Franchisee shall continue to use all reasonable endeavours to comply with such obligation as soon as reasonably practicable and in any event shall modify and refresh all Class 444 and Class 450 rolling stock vehicles comprised in the Train Fleet by no later than 31 March 2019"

And that appears to be a changed date from the original agreement! Either way, the halfway-house refurbishment of the 450s covers a number of the points required in the agreement (Power sockets, replacing seat covers, squabs and cushions, refreshing toilets(?)) leaving the first class reconfiguration, inductive charging in first class, media server, and a new better PIS for the full refurbishment - as well as neatening up things like grab poles and stickers.

If the franchise were to have only done half of the fleet to the full specification, I would personally argue that they haven't used all reasonable endeavours to meet it - if they've halfway-house refurbished half the fleet and fully refurbished the other, that is more likely to be viewed by the SoS as reasonable endeavour, even if it does take longer to complete overall. Do also bear in mind that getting more trains done sooner is better from the passenger point of view if half of the fleet is running around with collapsed cushions and worn covers than waiting for all of the problems with the prototype full refurbishment to be ironed out.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Ah, well that makes sense when explained like that. Certainly, as you point out, I can see that having some refreshed ASAP is better than most of the fleet running about in a tired state.

Goldfish62

Established Member
And that appears to be a changed date from the original agreement! Either way, the halfway-house refurbishment of the 450s covers a number of the points required in the agreement (Power sockets, replacing seat covers, squabs and cushions, refreshing toilets(?)) leaving the first class reconfiguration, inductive charging in first class, media server, and a new better PIS for the full refurbishment - as well as neatening up things like grab poles and stickers.

31st March 2019 was always the mandatory completion date, wasn't it?

Domh245

Established Member
31st March 2019 was always the mandatory completion date, wasn't it?

It sounds like it was the same from when the agreement was released way back when, but it was this footnote:

"Date of contract change 20/08/2017 - Agreed by the Secretary of State and Franchisee"

that reveals that there was a different date in that at some point. Presumably it was a stricter target, either for the first deadline or the last one, because nobody ever argues for a stricter deadline against themselves! That said, it could also apply to the 158/9 refurbishment programme which falls into the same point but different subsection.

TEW

Established Member
Either way, the halfway-house refurbishment of the 450s covers a number of the points required in the agreement (Power sockets, replacing seat covers, squabs and cushions, refreshing toilets(?)) leaving the first class reconfiguration, inductive charging in first class, media server, and a new better PIS for the full refurbishment - as well as neatening up things like grab poles and stickers.
The work done on the 450s so far does not include any work on the toilets or the installation of plug sockets. Some units have had boxes where the sockets will be installed, but not sockets usable yet.

Domh245

Established Member
The work done on the 450s so far does not include any work on the toilets or the installation of plug sockets. Some units have had boxes where the sockets will be installed, but not sockets usable yet.
Fair enough, they are well behind then, although the point about reasonable endeavour still stands!

pompeyfan

Established Member
450038 now has working plug sockets in the carriage containing the universal toilet. All other coaches have the plug sockets still covered up.

randompixel

450111 has outside livery and inside refresh of seats and carpets. Stickers also done but still has orange grab handles and no power sockets.

pompeyfan

Established Member
450111 was done months ago for Ant & Dec’s take away.

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
Almost a year in and not a single train complete yet.

Joke !
No point rushing into production when the design hasn't been finalised; that's what happened with the GWEP, construction began before the design was finished, and it kept on being revised and re-revised. Look how that turned out.

SWR's fleet is also very intensively worked; Joe Public cares about having a train, not what colour the train is. Besides, Eastleigh's busy enough as it is refurbing the 442s.

Kite159

Veteran Member
450040 has had the semi-refurbishment now too.

And at least one coach with power sockets and one coach with the boxes but no sockets.

Odd they were described as "Plug Socket for laptop battery chargers only", like they don't want people to use their phone chargers.

Not as good as the sockets fitted to the GWR 150s with a couple USB sockets above the 3-pin plug

Attachments

• IMG_20180528_170021732.jpg
    IMG_20180528_170021732.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 83

spark001uk

Established Member
And at least one coach with power sockets and one coach with the boxes but no sockets.

Odd they were described as "Plug Socket for laptop battery chargers only", like they don't want people to use their phone chargers.

Not as good as the sockets fitted to the GWR 150s with a couple USB sockets above the 3-pin plug
Socket labels - I think they are just inferring not to plug in a 3kW heater into it!

GWR 150 sockets - those are also fitted to the refurbed sleeper stock, and turbo units now too. Shame SWR not keeping up in that detail.
Again, I fear SWR has blown all their budget on delay repay!! ;)

Goldfish62

Established Member
No point rushing into production when the design hasn't been finalised; that's what happened with the GWEP, construction began before the design was finished, and it kept on being revised and re-revised. Look how that turned out.

SWR's fleet is also very intensively worked; Joe Public cares about having a train, not what colour the train is. Besides, Eastleigh's busy enough as it is refurbing the 442s.
I think the point here is not what colour the train is, but that it's written into the franchise agreement that all the 450s and 444s must be fully refurbished by 31 March next. In that context that not a single unit has been done yet is highly relevant.