• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

59CosG95

Established Member
I think the point here is not what colour the train is, but that it's written into the franchise agreement that all the 450s and 444s must be fully refurbished by 31 March next. In that context that not a single unit has been done yet is highly relevant.
I suspect that the full refurbishment must have hit some snags we don't yet know about. 444040 hasn't been seen in a good while...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dorsetdesiro

Though the refurbishment seems to be moving at a slow pace, I am happy with the Stagecoach livery being continued for now with "South Western Railway" stickers as this is better than the new livery which is awful and dull.

As the franchise will be for only 6 years so I don't expect the whole SWR fleet, apart from the incoming 701s, to be all in the new livery as FirstGroup are not as quick with rebranding as seen with the half-jobs done to the 450s. I wouldn't be surprised when 2024 rolls by at the end of this franchise if there are a few trains going around still in the Stagecoach colours!

I remember reading on here a while ago, some 442s may be pushed out to action unrefurbished working with 444s on the PDL because of lack of timing while other 442s undergo refurbishment. These probably will be in the old GX livery with SWR stickers. Is this true?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Though the refurbishment seems to be moving at a slow pace, I am happy with the Stagecoach livery being continued for now with "South Western Railway" stickers as this is better than the new livery which is awful and dull.

As the franchise will be for only 6 years so I don't expect the whole SWR fleet, apart from the incoming 701s, to be all in the new livery as FirstGroup are not as quick with rebranding as seen with the half-jobs done to the 450s. I wouldn't be surprised when 2024 rolls by at the end of this franchise if there are a few trains going around still in the Stagecoach colours!

I remember reading on here a while ago, some 442s may be pushed out to action unrefurbished working with 444s on the PDL because of lack of timing while other 442s undergo refurbishment. These probably will be in the old GX livery with SWR stickers. Is this true?
The 444s and 450s are badly in need of a repaint. Most are very worn and faded. If SWR left them untreated by the end of the franchise I think the leasing company would have something to say!

superalbs

Established Member
159014 in new livey, also been fitted with new interior. Not sure if FISA LEAN is now in first, but original seats retained in standard with the harder cushions.

Boost in seats done by removing some tables and cramming them in a carriage end. Great. :/

387star

On Moderation
159014 in new livey, also been fitted with new interior. Not sure if FISA LEAN is now in first, but original seats retained in standard with the harder cushions.

Boost in seats done by removing some tables and cramming them in a carriage end. Great. :/
Wow interesting
In swr colours too ?

Kite159

Veteran Member

One for me to try and keep my eye open.

More tables removed than the usual refurb which saw two tables removed from the composite coach?

superalbs

Established Member
One for me to try and keep my eye open.

More tables removed than the usual refurb which saw two tables removed from the composite coach?
I have seen a pic, there are a few seats now that don't line up with seats it seems. Looks like the composite is the one missing out here too.

DenmarkRail

By the time the franchise draws to a close, they will be repainting back into stagecoach colours ... Why paint when you can just wait .

Goldfish62

Established Member
By the time the franchise draws to a close, they will be repainting back into stagecoach colours ... Why paint when you can just wait .
Unlikely. Generic liveries which are retained upon change of franchisee are here to stay.

SWT is dead and gone.

Kite159

Veteran Member
There were complaints on this forum that the SWT refurb seats were hard, but no doubt that's been forgotten because SWT can now do no wrong. ;)

The memory foam seating, I don't think I'm alone in aiming for a non-refurbished unit when one pops up attached to a refurbished unit. Only issue is the seats are higher so there is less leg room for those table seats, even the seat back tables on the airline ones are a tad too low.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Unlikely. Generic liveries which are retained upon change of franchisee are here to stay.

SWT is dead and gone.
SWT as a brand was owned by the DfT though (trademark with them) - why did First need to rebrand?

59CosG95

Established Member
SWT as a brand was owned by the DfT though (trademark with them) - why did First need to rebrand?
Probably the confusion that would arise using a similar font and similar livery to EMT, which is still a Stagecoach operation.
That or Stagecoach probably would have cried foul over their operation's name being unchanged but not in their hands.

My lounge looks out on the mainline between Sway and New Milton and although I do not see every train that passes I have yet to see a SWR liveried train pass.

What is the latest news re the 701s. Have orders been placed?, has production begun? are they still on schedule for 2019?

Goldfish62

Established Member
What is the latest news re the 701s. Have orders been placed?, has production begun? are they still on schedule for 2019?
Surely the order was placed last year.

The first one is due for delivery next Summer, so I imagine construction will start this autumn.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Couple of pictures of the refurbished interior of 159014. A brief glance inside FC and it appears to be untouched.

SWT still remains on the door stickers.

Attachments

• IMG_20180615_145831114_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180615_145831114_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20180615_145904831.jpg
    IMG_20180615_145904831.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 194

Goldfish62

Established Member
Couple of pictures of the refurbished interior of 159014. A brief glance inside FC and it appears to be untouched.

SWT still remains on the door stickers.
So it looks to me like a continuation of the SWT refurb programme but with the colour spec changed to SWR.

SWR did say they would be doing a fuller refurb from 2020.

TEW

Established Member
Looks very similar to the half job being done on the 450s.