• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT class 159 vultron destination displays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a full list of every code stored on the SWT class 159 vultron destination displays - the codes go from 001 - 999, can anyone submit any codes stored in the class 159s destination display - i know the SWT ones printed in the cab can anyone submit any destination code they have found on a 159. And if any one knows the full 999 please can they submit it.

Any destination or all destinations appreciated!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
I was at Salisbury in June last year, and either one was malfunctioning or the driver was having a mess around. Either way, it came up with all manner of places, in alphabetical order - including Ardrossan Beach, the not-so-wild Ascot - and even Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

I was at Salisbury in June last year, and either one was malfunctioning or the driver was having a mess around. Either way, it came up with all manner of places, in alphabetical order - including Ardrossan Beach, the not-so-wild Ascot - and even Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

thats a test feature

sprinterguy

Established Member
Yeah, the 323s have “Ashby de la Zouch” in their displays as well. Wishful thinking of the highest order if it wasn’t just a test feature, as even with a good, long run up I don’t think a 323 could coast off the OLE as far as Ashby de la Zouch! :lol:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
An anticipation of the reincarnation of Ivanhoe Line phase 2?

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Yeah, the 323s have “Ashby de la Zouch” in their displays as well. Wishful thinking of the highest order if it wasn’t just a test feature, as even with a good, long run up I don’t think a 323 could coast off the OLE as far as Ashby de la Zouch! :lol:

I think 323s and 158s use the same destination codes, so you'll find many non-electrified destinations in the 323 codes.

Yes the 158`s and 323`s use the same destination controller and codes. On a couple of 323`s ive seen destinations such as Penzance and Paignton. The 323 have the original database 1 codes. FGW, SWT & ATW Class 158`s have database 2 codes which were the later version with more codes after more stations opened and 158s went further. NR, EMT & SR use the original version 1 database.

moonrakerz

I once saw an ECS SWT 159 at Westbury, on the rear it said "Belfast via Stranraer"

fgwrich

Established Member
I once saw an ECS SWT 159 at Westbury, on the rear it said "Belfast via Stranraer"

:lol: Nice One! Ive only seen a few 158/159 Oddities, those mainly being the pair of SWT 158s leaving Basingstoke station a year or so ago with Fort William on the front unit, St Ives in the rear leading cab, and Portsmouth Harbour on the rear - Anyone up for a Basingstoke - Portsmouth - St Ives - Fort William trip on 158? :lol:

- Also seen terminating 158s turn up with Mystery Excursion & Public Use turn up before too!

But a 323 With Penzance on its destination box - Priceless! :lol:

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
There definitely aren't 999 valid codes - certain codes if entered will prompt a message on the user display which says 'Inappropriate Code'. From memory of playing around on the FGW sets there are quite a few which don't work. One of my personal favourites is the scrolling 'Manchester United Football Ground' which always generates a little bit of interest! All the hired-in SWT sets I've worked have had what seems to be the same shared generic list of places as the FGW units.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
29lh0qq.jpg

theres a driver at salisbury who when doing ECS sets teh detinationboard to abberdeen i think (somewhere inscotland) but he changes it before anyone can take a photo

Juniper Driver

Established Member
theres a driver at salisbury who when doing ECS sets teh detinationboard to abberdeen i think (somewhere inscotland) but he changes it before anyone can take a photo

I think there are some other codes that aren't on there but no way is there 999 codes.Must be 021 or something.

BestWestern

Established Member
There are a few slightly odd listings on these considering that they're SWT units, who presumably applied these labels. Cardiff isn't particularly likely! :o Also never understood why they chose 'Turbo'...?!

atomicdanny

Tonbridge looks a weird one on there. Any ideas why thats listed ?

Unless its something to do with the Redhill - Tonbridge line being electrified in 1993 (obviously diesel before then), although I did find this on wiki though?

The line was electrified (750 V DC third rail) in 1993 and services started to run through to London rather than being an extension of the Reading to Redhill North Downs Line service.

starrymarkb

Established Member
There are a few slightly odd listings on these considering that they're SWT units, who presumably applied these labels. Cardiff isn't particularly likely! :o Also never understood why they chose 'Turbo'...?!

Probably following on from the 165s being marketed as Turbos - Sprinter was a Regional Railways brand

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Quite a clean list which makes a change...Usually they are graffitied over with unfunny comments...

Which brings me to a point of more childishness...Someone swapped the button covers over on a desiro unit and yesterday and it caught me out.The Guards instructor who was working the train with new guards asked me to turn the HVAC off (to reset it) as one of the coaches was blowing warm air..Pressed the white button but something caught my eye on the TMS and "shunting" came up.That's when I realised the button covers had been switched.How bloody stupid is that?

Switched the covers back round to their correct positions,the low speed is the yellow button not the white.

Lucky it wasn't an emergency (like a fire) when the HVAC must be turned off.

HVAC = Air Conditioning.

Last edited:

Drsatan

Established Member
I noticed a 158 at Romsey once with 'Ramblers special' listed on its destination screen. Would it be possible for the driver to create custom destinations?

Juniper Driver

Established Member
I noticed a 158 at Romsey once with 'Ramblers special' listed on its destination screen. Would it be possible for the driver to create custom destinations?

On SWT 158 and 159's not that I know of,although this is possible on Desiro's.

BestWestern

Established Member
Quite a clean list which makes a change...Usually they are graffitied over with unfunny comments...

Which brings me to a point of more childishness...Someone swapped the button covers over on a desiro unit yesterday and it caught me out.The Guards instructor who was working the train with new guards asked me to turn the HVAC off (to reset it) as one of the coaches was blowing warm air..Pressed the white button but something caught my eye on the TMS and "shunting" came up.That's when I realised the button covers had been switched.How bloody stupid is that?

Indeed, some people are amused by the slightest little thing :-/ Glad it's not just my TOC who's cabs suffer from this abuse. In fact a notice is currently on display at our booking on point politely reminding crews that this sort of thing isn't actually acceptable conduct - particularly when the graffiti is of a personal nature! With us it tends to be the defect books which take the brunt of it, especially with sarcastic comments from crew towards the maintenance staff and vice-versa!

As for the clean lists in SWT 158 cabs, I can make an educated assertion that those with Swindon or Cheltenham scrawled on them have been 'updated' by the crews of another TOC, who shall of course remain nameless, whilst on short-term loan!

Status
Not open for further replies.