• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT Trainee driver courses 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
TW week is a real ball ache...

in terms of % passing. everyone on my course passed course and finals and are currently road learning.

same for the course after ours!

just remember that the instructors watch everything you do. including how you interact with each other. if one of you is disruptive they'll remove you. if you are not putting in the effort they will remove you.

as 455driver said... just because you are on the course doesn't mean you will be a train driver. almost all will, but complacency will shoot you down/

but that said. enjoy your course, hopefully you'll get the same bloke I did, but that said they are all good. and when you get to TW (especially TW5) don't ask me for help (only joking (sort off!))

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bob hope

One treated the sim like a video game (70mph SPAD etc) and just didnt "get it" at all, the other was a bit weird really.

So hopefully from a wannabee perspective - keep your head down, work hard, don't take the p**s and you should be ok then?:D

Indeed I may not, though I'd like to believe (my opinion) that I'd take it seriously and not show any complacency. Only recently graduated from a 5 year Aerospace Engineering degree and that too requires serious commitment. Regular and very, very tough examinations are routine and success is only achieved if you put in hundreds of hours of your own time per module. In my spare time, I flew aircraft in order to keep my PPL as unfrozen as possible :) should hopefully mean safety, concentration and good coordination are built into me.

That said, I don't expect to find this a breeze as some (no names, sorry) in SWT have suggested! Very nervous indeed, but having visited our training centre numerous times (kindly arranged by my station manager) and spoken to operations staff, I'd like to believe I'll get through this. I only felt I was suitable to apply after 4 years of doing my own research while working in other jobs at SWT.

Watch this space!

Indeed I may not, though I'd like to believe (my opinion) that I'd take it seriously and not show any complacency. Only recently graduated from a 5 year Aerospace Engineering degree and that too requires serious commitment. Regular and very, very tough examinations are routine and success is only achieved if you put in hundreds of hours of your own time per module. In my spare time, I flew aircraft in order to keep my PPL as unfrozen as possible :) should hopefully mean safety, concentration and good coordination are built into me.

That said, I don't expect to find this a breeze as some (no names, sorry) in SWT have suggested! Very nervous indeed, but having visited our training centre numerous times (kindly arranged by my station manager) and spoken to operations staff, I'd like to believe I'll get through this. I only felt I was suitable to apply after 4 years of doing my own research while working in other jobs at SWT.

Watch this space!

your degree is nothing on the TW modules :) only joking (or am I...???)

455driver

Veteran Member
I can remember the TW week as if it was yesterday.

Unfortunately!;)

It didnt help that on our first week the course in front of us was doing the TWs and seeing them every break time trying to make sense of it all really put the wind up us, and yes it was everything we were expecting it to be. :?

Scuba

Ooo sounds like as much fun as learning the wiring regulations!! ;)

Quite looking forward to it! In a sick and twisted way. . . . . :lol:

LCC106

Established Member
We had a great trainer. Really good at drawing scenarios, explaining them, then relating them to the rule book. Yes, it was hard at the time, but nothing to lose sleep about. I'm not aware of any recent failures at our TOC although I do know of some who have failed a section e.g. traction and that just means additional training. They got there in the end.

reapz

We had a great trainer. Really good at drawing scenarios, explaining them, then relating them to the rule book. Yes, it was hard at the time, but nothing to lose sleep about. I'm not aware of any recent failures at our TOC although I do know of some who have failed a section e.g. traction and that just means additional training. They got there in the end.[/

what bdt were u 455?

badu

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone's heard any news regarding Trainee driver courses for this year. Did hear rumours about some being cancelled and the required number of Drivers is not as much as first thought.
Im still waiting to sit the Structured interview since last May! Im hoping i will get to do it some time soon.

Dave.

Scuba

Hi Everyone.
Phoned up H.R. today to see what has happened about my medical as they wanted me to commit to starting training on the 4th March. They said they might sent an appointment letter out in the next few weeks as the courses were now all on hold! Does make you wonder what is going on up there! :-x
Good job I phone because I nearly started turning work away. :(

Aubrey4444

hi i nearly went on the march one because of work notices but managed to stay on the feb course so glad i did now if you say all are on hold now. so lucky! for me, bad for you im sure something will come up.

Scuba

Hi All,
I had a call from H.R. this evening :D , but missed it. They left a message asking me to call them as soon as possible tomorrow (Friday) and also sent me an email!!! :shock:
So I will keep you all informed off what happens. ;)

Scuba

Aubrey4444

Hi All,
I had a call from H.R. this evening :D , but missed it. They left a message asking me to call them as soon as possible tomorrow (Friday) and also sent me an email!!! :shock:
So I will keep you all informed off what happens. ;)

Scuba

Hi did you ring back to find out ? are the courses back on.

Scuba

Hi Aubrey

Well I phoned them up and booked my medical over the phone. Now to wait for the letter to make it all formal, may possibly be posted to another depot though, which would be a shame but on the other side of the coin I could be a Trainee Train Driver very soon!! :D
If all goes well the coarse start date is (pencilled in) April 4th.

Scuba

Aubrey4444

Hi Aubrey

Well I phoned them up and booked my medical over the phone. Now to wait for the letter to make it all formal, may possibly be posted to another depot though, which would be a shame but on the other side of the coin I could be a Trainee Train Driver very soon!! :D
If all goes well the coarse start date is (pencilled in) April 4th.

Scuba

Glad to hear it at least you have some good news to pass on to the others waiting, This means not all courses are are cancelled in 2013

cheers

Scuba

Hi Everyone :D

Today was the day, got the formal letter to start and medical date as well.
So on the 8th April I will be a trainee train driver!!! :D :D

Now I just have to get this silly great grin off my face. ;)

Scuba

jc1

Congratulations.
I am still waiting for a driver managers interview.
Anyone else in the same boat?

badu

Congrats Scuba. Fair play to you mate.

I've been waiting for the Structured/Managers interview since May 2012.
Really hope they contact me soon.
Which depots did you guys apply for? Mine was Wimbledon.

Dave.

jc1

I applied for farnham or fratton.
Have you spoken to hr lately badu?
Did they give you any feedback?

badu

I spoke to them a few weeks ago fella. Just got the "we'll be in touch" line yet again!
Just want to get this Structured interview out of the way so i can know if I've passed or not as this is the one thing that im most dreading!
Are you external candidate?

jc1

Yes Im external.
Maybe internal candidates are getting in before us.

Scuba

Hi All
I applied for Farnham but at one point I was asked if I wanted Guildford instead, told then either would be ok so now it is in writing for Farnham. ;)

Scuba

Aubrey4444

Hi All
I applied for Farnham but at one point I was asked if I wanted Guildford instead, told then either would be ok so now it is in writing for Farnham. ;)

Scuba

Might see you down the training centre basingstoke im only 4 days into the course, see you there and well done

Scuba

Hi Everyone :D
Had my medical today and apart from the drugs test results, all my tests were passed. So now I just have to wait a few days for the results to come though later next week.
So I feel like I am nearly there. :D

Scuba

Status
Not open for further replies.