TFL on NYE - free and plenty travel options. Up here? Nothing! *Rant*

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by Howardh, 28 Dec 2018.

1. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

But most of what little TfGM get is from central government and they can only get so much from local taxpayers. So the "beef" is really with central government.

2. rebmcr

rebmcr Established Member

I believe, given the insider perspective in earlier posts, it is very clear that the NYE free travel would continue even if TfL was 100% funded from fares/advertising/retail. That makes it very difficult to justify arguments about how the taxpayer pot is allocated.

Also, while it's true that London council tax contributes little, the Greater London Allowance — which is an additional payment — makes up a higher proportion. There is even more regional contribution in the form of Congestion Charging, and the new pollution charging. And so, we come back to my initial statement that cities get what they pay for.

3. Joe Paxton

Joe Paxton Established Member

It's commonly referred to as the Greater London Authority (or GLA) precept - (e.g. on the RBG and LBH websites).

4. Clip

Clip On Moderation

Hmm seems you dont know much about Manchesters funding either which shows that most of its funding comes from its council tax levy as set out in this document so again there is no 'beef' with central government and even if they did get most of its funding from central government then it is still up to them how they spend it and if they didnt want to spend it on free travel then its their decision.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/nv7y93...f6e24458ed61cb3/Council-Tax-Document-1718.pdf

5. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

I thought that council funding from central government has been cut severely in the last few years meaning that councils can hardly afford to subsidise regular bus services never mind run free buses on NYE.

6. philthetube

philthetube Established Member

23.45 to 04.30 only, close of traffic is approx 0100 on the 2nd Jan.

7. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

If we had proper joined up thinking, we'd consider the value of providing buses around the UK at New Year (and possibly even Christmas) as a way of discouraging people to drink and drive.

I am sure there would be enough volunteers to drive the buses if pay was sufficient, and I am not even sure they'd need to be free. Just well enough advertised that people would know they could rely on them, which I'm pretty sure that people wouldn't now - and so not even attempt to wait at a bus stop at 1 or 2am.

I was lucky to have a ride home from a party from someone who doesn't drink, but I'd checked the Uber app and it went from £13 before midnight to £68 after (surge pricing at its best).

I'd have happily taken a bus if it was an option. Of course it wasn't, free or not.

8. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

In West Yorkshire the only buses on Christmas Day are local free volunteer services which do not use normal vehicles or staff (unless they're enthusiasts who also volunteer).

On Boxing Day there's a skeleton service similar to the daytime Sunday service on main routes. There's no early or late buses.

The last time Metro subsidised bus services on NYD it seemed to be set up to fail. It was 1999. Ripponden, the village I lived in at the time usually had 3 or 4 buses an hour into Halifax on a weekday, 2-3 an hour on a Sunday. On NYD it had 7 all day each way, split between 2 routes. Halifax - Leeds (508) and Halifax - Bradford (576 and 681) routes each ran every 2 hours.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2019
  9. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

In the 90s there were significant night bus services on NYE in Nottingham and Leeds, primarily to encourage people to travel into the city centres and not to drive. I don't know how busy they were as they didn't run far enough out to be useful to me.

10. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

Ah yes, it must have been Boxing Day I was thinking of.