• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Are bus seats getting more comfortable? I can't think of a model of bus seat I would want to see in a train instead of the seats on a class 700.

Very much so, unless you travel in London. Seats are commonly now high back and have deeper padding. WiFi is widespread, and tables are an increasingly common site, even on buses in Cornwall!

While you can't directly compare buses to trains in terms of absolute comfort the point is that buses are improving while trains are getting worse.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Very much so, unless you travel in London. Seats are commonly now high back and have deeper padding. WiFi is widespread, and tables are an increasingly common site, even on buses in Cornwall!

While you can't directly compare buses to trains in terms of absolute comfort the point is that buses are improving while trains are getting worse.

There is the issue that in general terms, rail tracks are getting smoother especially with the passing of jointed track and many fewer flat crossings with diamonds. Of course there are some routes that have particular problem stretches, e.g. Stoats Nest has been mentioned many times, but in general terms, track is nothing like it was in MKI days.
The roads have always had the issue of unpredictable potholes, sags and drains which with more traffic on them the drive has less opportunity to avoid. So bus seats cater for an entirely different shock and vibration environment.

Bedpan

Established Member
My house doesn't move at all but I'd still rather spend my evening sitting in a comfortable armchair or sofa than on a hard uncomfortable seat.

D365

Veteran Member
My house doesn't move at all but I'd still rather spend my evening sitting in a comfortable armchair or sofa than on a hard uncomfortable seat.

I think a train seat sees a bit more use compared to your armchair...

physics34

Established Member
I always wondered why the seats on newer trains become more and more uncomfortable nowadays?

Because there are no passenger groups strong enough to have a say on interior comfort. It was clear when the class 700 exhibit was displayed that the seats were not suitable for the longer journeys, but i assume the order could not be altered (of course it could).

I find it bizarre that railway management, MPs and DfT executives who frequently travel on trains dont want higher standards themselves!

APUK002

They have an all-new system, with new displays inside and out, new recordings and a bunch of other features.

Admittedly a few haven't been upgraded (I assume those going off lease - although I think even quite a few of those going have been done too, presumably so whoever leases them later will get the new system from day one) but we're talking about a year for many of them.

Plus the new toilets which I doubt you could have any complaints about as they're pretty decent for ANY train (including a pre-wash feature on the toilet).

Seriously, the 365s have aged spectacularly well in my view.
New psi sounds like 700 announcements,they also fitted call for aids to.

aleggatta

Don't know if its unusual, but A 12 car (700129 IIRC) is/was berthed in hove yard no. 6 road. is this a sign of things to come or just an unusual weekday berth?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Don't know if its unusual, but A 12 car (700129 IIRC) is/was berthed in hove yard no. 6 road. is this a sign of things to come or just an unusual weekday berth?

This one isn't in service yet. It is likely that Hove Yard is being used as somewhere to store units not needed, in the same way that there are units at Peterborough and Horsham which are commissioned but not in service yet.

Sunset route

Established Member

This one isn't in service yet. It is likely that Hove Yard is being used as somewhere to store units not needed, in the same way that there are units at Peterborough and Horsham which are commissioned but not in service yet.

There was talk at work (TBASC), that’s where the unit for the Coastway West driving training was stabled.

tsr

Established Member
Very much so, unless you travel in London.

You can add a number of other cities and urban areas to that list, many of which have buses now taking the place of former urban rail or tram services. (Not that trams are always any better, but that's wildly off-topic.)

To take an example, I use the buses running through Norwich city centre from time to time. The seats on their double deckers can't be blessed with any more than a quarter of the padding of even a Class 700 seat, and tables, toilets and suchlike would probably be a fantasy. But if I get on anything other than perhaps a 153 on the local rail routes (excluding the intercity services on the GEML, for obvious reasons of comparison fairness) I will be assured of reasonable legroom, half-decent seats as a bare minimum (often better), tables, toilets, and usually good air handling or aircon.

Sunset route

Established Member
700137 has been working off Preston Park as the Coastway West driver training unit.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...1/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=TL

No Thameslink workings booked off Hove Yard.

Thank you, it looks like I got the two confused as I haven’t been that end of the panel for a while. So therefor I making the assumption that GTR are using Hove sidings as TB Depot overflow the in the same way that Horsham Field sidings have been.

387star

On Moderation
700016/036 now have new style logos

I believe none remain with old logos except 700014 which had one remaining old logo on one of the coaches

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Regarding the earlier post in relation to the number of diagrams for each route, how many are required for the Wimbledon and Sutton loop?

Also, if I was a local resident along the loop, I would be happy with the original plan to curtail it to Blackfriars with the compromise that the frequency would be doubled to from every 30 minutes to every 15 minutes in both directions around the loop.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
700139 delivered yesterday morning ,another on Wednesday .
That was delivered some time ago and has been in use on Peterborough services.

I think the report was 700130 with 700133 next.

I think, after those two, it is just 127 and 135 to come. Then, according the list posted a few years ago, it will be 12 more 700/0s, 10 700/1s and a final 2 700/0s.

Last edited:

physics34

Established Member
There is the issue that in general terms, rail tracks are getting smoother especially with the passing of jointed track and many fewer flat crossings with diamonds. Of course there are some routes that have particular problem stretches, e.g. Stoats Nest has been mentioned many times, but in general terms, track is nothing like it was in MKI days.
The roads have always had the issue of unpredictable potholes, sags and drains which with more traffic on them the drive has less opportunity to avoid. So bus seats cater for an entirely different shock and vibration environment.

same old arguments mate. We are talking about a extra couple of inches of foam. It would make the world of difference.

APUK002

That was delivered some time ago and has been in use on Peterborough services.

I think the report was 700130 with 700133 next.

I think, after those two, it is just 127 and 135 to come. Then, according the list posted a few years ago, it will be 12 more 700/0s, 10 700/1s and a final 2 700/0s.
Kk,kl

387star

On Moderation
I will be riding the new Littlehampton service on Tuesday so hope it runs ! 1657 off london bridge and I might jump on at Hove (1802) looking forward to a different traction type down the coastway! will many spotters be out for this haha

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
France,how do they get from Germany to uk(dollands moor-ashford?)

They're being delivered through the Chunnel.

Was cancelled? Had 700130 on Monday

I think it got to either Fréthun or Dollands but no further - nothing that I saw on the Yahoogroup answers that; there has been a higher rate of deliveries recently so two in a week is not unusual.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Because there are no passenger groups strong enough to have a say on interior comfort. It was clear when the class 700 exhibit was displayed that the seats were not suitable for the longer journeys, but i assume the order could not be altered (of course it could).

I find it bizarre that railway management, MPs and DfT executives who frequently travel on trains dont want higher standards themselves!
Yes, this was starkly shown with Northern's survey using three different sample seats when they were deciding which to select for their new trains. The Fainsa ironing board came last, but Northern have ignored passenger preferences and selected it, presumably based on cost.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Didn’t Siemens originally want to fit Grammer seats instead of ironing boards? Perhaps the 700s wouldn’t be nearly as hated if Siemens got their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.