• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I've seen that quite a few times - often they'll change 1 or 2 seconds out of sync, sometimes one invididual display will just miss out one of the changes - you'll note from your photo that the next screen down appears to be behaving correctly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Indeed you’re right, and it sorts itself out when displaying the “Next Stop” screen. But I’m thinking this particular combination isn’t the most... savoury :D

ijmad

Established Member
I must be unusual in finding the seats rather comfortable.

D365

Veteran Member
You know what? I was about to say the same thing.

Far better than the 317/321, that’s for sure.

DR132

I've noticed over the last week since the temperatures dropped significantly that 700's started squealing sounding like an UFO when coming to a halt. Are they programmed to apply tread brakes earlier than usual when the temperature drops below certain threshold?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I've noticed over the last week since the temperatures dropped significantly that 700's started squealing sounding like an UFO when coming to a halt. Are they programmed to apply tread brakes earlier than usual when the temperature drops below certain threshold?
I think thats snow mode- it solely uses friction to increase heat in the wheels?

FlippyFF

New PIS software installed on 700140 this morning. A clock showing date and time which is nice. An additional diagram giving coach 1 of 12 etc. And a rather menacing graphic for the We'll sort it. Thankfully the audio of we'll sort it has only come on once. I like the clock addition.

The new TfL status I now consider to be even more useless than before. On Tuesday morning the unit i was on, around 08:20, wasn't showing anything against the Waterloo & City line. Was it running? Was it disrupted? Who knows and no time stamp just the stupid 'TfL open data' label.

Simon

ijmad

Established Member

They've always make the UFO noise when they're on third rail. It sounded about as loud to me as always, although I certainly have noticed the extremely noisy brakes during the cold period this week, agreed.

ijmad

Established Member
You know what? I was about to say the same thing.

Far better than the 317/321, that’s for sure.

In comparison I always found the 319's seats to be both too squishy and rather lumpy.

tsr

Established Member
Judging by my journey on a 700 tonight, they take a bit of time getting used to the snow after going onto the third rail following power changeover (struggled with lots of arcing through South London, but gained more confidence at varying speeds as we hit the edge of the Zones suburbia).

The external destination boards and PIS screens also seem to now slowly flash the “Check Station Screens” message, if that’s all they’re displaying. Which is a bit odd, but there we are. Eye-catching enough.

D365

Veteran Member
Judging by my journey on a 700 tonight, they take a bit of time getting used to the snow after going onto the third rail following power changeover (struggled with lots of arcing through South London, but gained more confidence at varying speeds as we hit the edge of the Zones suburbia).

Good point, I saw a lot of it at Blackfriars going southbound yesterday.

AM9

Veteran Member

Same here at about 11:00 this morning.there was an ECS stopped by the signal at northern end of the southbound platform. When our unit cleared the platform, it followed through with much heavy arcing. Now Blackfriars is under cover of a roof so I can only presume that the level of arcing is something shoe-specific, as TSR implies. Given that the shoes don't retract and the power that they can draw is much higher than the last fixed shoe class to run the route I wonder if it is something to do with them picking up spray/snow whilst at speed on the MML. In the conditions we have this week, such loose water/ice would rapidly freeze into solid ice. So when it hits the 3rd rail at Farringdon, thwere is much arcing until the ice wears off. Just a theory. :)

ijmad

Established Member

Yeah, lots of arcing, it was fun to watch!

Didn't help that Blackfriars 'innovative' roof design meant it was snowing inside the station for much of this afternoon.

Steve Harris

Ooo smart,is it done per unit(unit go to depot,laptop plug in,then next unit the same, or all unit update at once ?

I would imagine it would be 1 unit at a time (via a hard wired link from the laptop), that is unless the onboard computer can be linked via bluetooth and a batch upload can be done.

By the way APUK002, may i ask if you went to a grammer school ?

Edited for punctuation.

APUK002

I would imagine it would be 1 unit at a time (via a hard wired link from the laptop), that is unless the onboard computer can be linked via bluetooth and a batch upload can be done.

By the way APUK002, may i ask if you went to a grammer school ?

Edited for punctuation.
Oh ok. Yes I did,but didn’t have tech p(iPads etc)then!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I very much doubt software updates are done over the air. For one, if they were then you wouldn't see some TL trains with the old software and some with the new (like the GN side, with the clock and graphical 'see it, say it..' message instead of text (which also had a typo early on).

That's not to say you couldn't probably do OTA updates, but it seems like a recipe for disaster for loads of reasons.

APUK002

I very much doubt software updates are done over the air. For one, if they were then you wouldn't see some TL trains with the old software and some with the new (like the GN side, with the clock and graphical 'see it, say it..' message instead of text (which also had a typo early on).

That's not to say you couldn't probably do OTA updates, but it seems like a recipe for disaster for loads of reasons.
That’s true; there’s a mixture of old and new Passenger Information Screens (PIS) amongst the units.

I was told they have facility for OTA updates for screens (add and edit things like calling patterns remotely whilst in service), which seems like a good idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

spark001uk

Established Member
Few observations, been on a few new entries with SBTs, notably 140 and 143, which are sporting what appears to be the new PIS software.
I like the better pictorial see/say/sort infomercial, more attention grabbing, though not quite sure what it's meant to be depicting.
Nice added pictorial of coach number, was wondering when that would be added.
Not sure about the big black background clock splodged over the two tone blue on the small screen, they could've just done away with the blue. But to be fair it's probably more readable from a distance anyway, so a welcome addition.

jon0844

Veteran Member
That’s true,there’s a mixture of old pis and new pis amongst the units,I was told they have facility for ota updates for screens(add stuff and edit things like calling patten,remotely whilst in service though)seems like a good idea?

Yes, service patterns or transport status updates (so far you get these for TfL but not about the status on TL/GN), perhaps one day adverts, can be done over the air. In fact, that's the only way.

Steve Harris

Oh ok. Yes I did,but didn’t have tech p(iPads etc)then!

All i can say is they didn't do a good job, :lol:.

I fully understand that new tech can be a challenge (I have been on several courses myself).

westcoaster

Established Member

We have been asked to use snow brake mode this week. This means during braking the rheo brakes are isolated. And the train only uses its friction brakes only hence the screeching.

APUK002

All i can say is they didn't do a good job, lol.

I fully understand that new tech can be a challenge, (I have been on several courses myself). But, can you please put a space after your commas and full stops. As it would make your posts so much easier to read and understand without having to re-read them several times.

Thank you.

Edited to take out a autocorrect mistake.
ok then.

APUK002

We have been asked to use snow brake mode this week. This means during braking the rheo brakes are isolated. And the train only uses its friction brakes only hence the screeching.
That’s what loud screeching is, the brakes in the snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.