• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It appears the 700s have failed the European crash test standards. Or at least that is latest we have been told at work semi officially. Waiting to hear what this means re their introduction.

Isn't a bit late in the day to finding this out now :o

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fincra5

Established Member
It appears the 700s have failed the European crash test standards. Or at least that is latest we have been told at work semi officially. Waiting to hear what this means re their introduction.

I heard that too... along with a TLK driver saying that the trains weren't a fan of the DC!

ScotGG

Established Member
Blimey let's hope that's a quick fix. The repercussions could be huge.

If Siemens have cocked up that'll do German engineering the world of good after the car industry's antics.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Wow. Not a good month for Germany, especially as Angela Merkel is now finding that rather a lot of German people are getting quite upset about the influx of refugees - to the point where I wonder if she's going to be in power for that much longer.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Blimey let's hope that's a quick fix. The repercussions could be huge.

If Siemens have cocked up that'll do German engineering the world of good after the car industry's antics.

Except unlike the VW issues it won't make the headlines, never mind the small print in the middle of the paper...

Domh245

Established Member
If a D-train can pass an EU crash test...

NB- I am not advocating the use of D-trains on the Thameslink program. Just a suggestion that welding some box steel to the front of the train might go someway towards helping the problem (if it is actually a problem at all. I really would have expected Siemens to have done testing like this, before building bodyshells, I think that (hope that) this will turn out to be a fib)

D365

Veteran Member
Except unlike the VW issues it won't make the headlines, never mind the small print in the middle of the paper...

Unless of course these issues end up severely delaying fleet rollout. Aside from the 21 Class 365s to GWR and any additional Class 319s to Northern, cascades shouldn't be too badly affected, bearing in mind recent setbacks to the electrification programme.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I bet Bombardier will be chuckling at the news.

Or at least smiling nervously as it wonders if it will be next...

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Is it known what aspect of the regs it's fallen foul of?

Will the one that has been delivered have to be sent back to Germany?

Domh245

Established Member
Is it known what aspect of the regs it's fallen foul of?

Will the one that has been delivered have to be sent back to Germany?

It depends on if they actually need remedial work, and how substantial said work is. It is entirely possible, that if they do need remedial work doing, it could be carried out at Three Bridges, but until we know if this is true or not, it's only speculation!

Nym

Established Member
I'd have thought it would have all been modeled in testing, and if they needed to actually crash one they'd have done an unfitted shell a long time ago...

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
If the remedial work can be done at an existing depot in the UK run by Siemens, if SWT's Bournemouth depot is equipped for the remedial work, is it possible that it could be towed there, fixed, then towed back?

Skimble19

Established Member
Considering there's only one unit in the UK at the moment I'm sure it wouldn't be a massive issue to send it back to Germany if required..

A-driver

Established Member
I should stress, after speaking to a few people on here, that I know nothing official about the crash test other than mess room chat although from a usually reliable source on such things. I'm not speaking officially for Siemens or GTR.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If the remedial work can be done at an existing depot in the UK run by Siemens, if SWT's Bournemouth depot is equipped for the remedial work, is it possible that it could be towed there, fixed, then towed back?

SWT's Bournemouth depot is little more than a stabling and cleaning point for Desiros. The SWT Desiro maintenance facility is at Northam, but anything out of the ordinary such as structural repairs has been subcontracted out and has gone to Kilmarnock. IIRC any Desiros that have required repairs soon after arrival have gone back to Germany.

fgwrich

Established Member
I bet Bombardier will be chuckling at the news.

Or at least smiling nervously as it wonders if it will be next...

I can just imagine someone running out of a derby office, with stacks of paperwork falling off it's once neat stack. Just like the door buttons on one of their newly built trains!

I'd be very surprised if they'd already fallen foul of any new regs - could it have been a case that they met the regs during the design phase at least two or more years ago but the regs have been tightened during their construction?

Of course any delay wont harm the gWr / FGW - They'll only be using the first set or two on Padd to Hayes, unless the magical wiring fairy's can come overnight to Didcot/Oxford & Newbury! It will however be yet another delay though to another major rolling stock cascade - and potentially another knock on to the whole rather tightly knitted Great Western cascade scheme.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
SWT's Bournemouth depot is little more than a stabling and cleaning point for Desiros. The SWT Desiro maintenance facility is at Northam, but anything out of the ordinary such as structural repairs has been subcontracted out and has gone to Kilmarnock. IIRC any Desiros that have required repairs soon after arrival have gone back to Germany.

Some of the work to the South Western Desiro fleet has been carried out by Siemens in their roads within Eastleigh Works.

grid56126

66714 did the move, view able from my rear bedroom window in Selhurst at 00+14.

700107 (as per the link I posted up thread).

Class377/5

Established Member
Deliveries should start being a bit more regular now. Three more this year expected in the next three months.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Some of the work to the South Western Desiro fleet has been carried out by Siemens in their roads within Eastleigh Works.

I didn't want to complicate matters, just explain why it was unlikely Bournemouth would be relevant. That line at Eastleigh is effectively just extra space for C4 overhauls that are outside the physical capacity of the SWT depots; for some reason it must have always been planned to be done 'elsewhere'. But it isn't in scope of the original question IMHO...

whoosh

Established Member
If a D-train can pass an EU crash test...

NB- I am not advocating the use of D-trains on the Thameslink program. Just a suggestion that welding some box steel to the front of the train might go someway towards helping the problem (if it is actually a problem at all. I really would have expected Siemens to have done testing like this, before building bodyshells, I think that (hope that) this will turn out to be a fib)

On viewing the mock-up we were told that it was a very safe cab as far as crashworthyness goes. I would speculate that IF there is a problem with a crash test, that it's the wide walk through gangways between the coaches that are the problem, not the cabs.
But that's just me speculating!

jonmorris0844 said:
Can't they just update the software so it says it's passed?
:D :D

Dr Iver

On viewing the mock-up we were told that it was a very safe cab as far as crashworthyness goes. I would speculate that IF there is a problem with a crash test, that it's the wide walk through gangways between the coaches that are the problem, not the cabs.

The problem is the area around the drivers legs.

03_179

Established Member
66714 did the move, view able from my rear bedroom window in Selhurst at 00+14.

700107 (as per the link I posted up thread).

I was going to walk around to SRS station (5 minute walk) but couldn't make it. It was a few minutes late in the end.

Wish they would deliver during the day ... then I can pop out the office and see them.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member

If that does turn out to be the case, it could potentially mean problems for Bombadier with the S stock. Could having the wide open gangways (no matter what manufacturer) be a problem?

ComUtoR

Established Member
I rather like your uniform :/

As for the crash test. If it did indeed fail. Why are units still being delivered and how was this discovered so late ? Wouldn't a crash test take place quite early on in the whole design and build process and certainly before they are delivered ?

Status
Not open for further replies.