• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class377/5

Established Member
GN to Peterborough is already cleared folks. In fact as I understand it, its not a guaging issue at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

physics34

Established Member
Its the 700 construction thread. Posts about pointless varations in shades (where lighting may be affecting) of other units should be done in other threads.

If this thread is going to desend in livery shades then I'm off.

I count what they are newly painted in from new is basically part of their "construction"......

BYE!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does it really matter what livery the 700s have as long as they carry passengers from A to B as safely as possible?

You could give it a bright pink livery for all I care, the only thing that should matter is ensuring the testing is successful over here and it has a successful launch next year.

Besides there are more important things to worry about such as infrastructure improvements north of Royston and St Neots on the GN to enable the 700s to be used on the GN then some livery.

Gosh didnt realise this forum had become so regimented. Maybe strict rules about what should and shouldnt be posted should be shown at the beginning of the thread.

It matters to me, as its a question of marketing or a product... i.e. rail travel. Companies spend millions on logos, liveries and motifs......... if they ever did paint trains pink then the media may have a field day.

Last edited:

A-driver

Established Member
GN to Peterborough is already cleared folks. In fact as I understand it, its not a guaging issue at all.

Not according to senior GN ops management it isn't. The fixed shoe gear will cause the same issues that it causes the current 313s.

Class377/5

Established Member
Not according to senior GN ops management it isn't. The fixed shoe gear will cause the same issues that it causes the current 313s.

Infrastructure changes are done. Only high ballast remans an issue. Whether its signed off for the ops people to know is a different matter.

Peterbrough route was never the issue.

Aictos

Established Member
Gosh didnt realise this forum had become so regimented. Maybe strict rules about what should and shouldnt be posted should be shown at the beginning of the thread.

It matters to me, as its a question of marketing or a product... i.e. rail travel. Companies spend millions on logos, liveries and motifs......... if they ever did paint trains pink then the media may have a field day.

Not really, it's just this forum is and can be so petty at times over trivial stuff like the livery amongst other that issues that are more important ought to be considered more.

For example, I consider it more important to have a successful launch in passenger service of the new trains then worry about the livery which to me is exactly the same as already been revealed on the 319s, 365s.

Yes I understand the need for a smart livery and not have a train formed of various liveries ie as Virgin Trains East Coast currently do but the livery is complete and there is nothing wrong with the livery on the 700s.

Infrastructure changes are done. Only high ballast remans an issue. Whether its signed off for the ops people to know is a different matter.

I thought there was a issue with the bridges at Huntingdon which is why 313s never went north of St Neots, that and high ballast.

What can NR do to resolve the high ballast issue here?

A-driver

Established Member

Well if the senior ops people don't know about it then you certainly won't! The works at Huntingdon are yet to be finished.

D365

Veteran Member
Well if the senior ops people don't know about it then you certainly won't! The works at Huntingdon are yet to be finished.

If it's the Port Holme/Great Ouse bridges which are the problem, the only vehicular access to the line and embankment south of Huntingdon is through Bromholme Lane. If there's going to be a significant amount of construction works I sure would have heard about it locally.

Aictos

Established Member
Well with regards to the 700s running on the GN which I'm sure they will do before 2018 just not though the Core, I be surprised if they start in 2016.

Personally as I might well be wrong but as a safe bet I say the cascade of 365s/321/317s due to the introduction of the 700s on the GN won't start until 2017 at the earliest due to various issues.

I like to be proven wrong though <D

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Certainly there will be some "test" 700's knocking around the GN - service trains is another issue altogether !

petersi

From a website maintained by a poster here and it was put up a long time ago the plains for GN route 700 was first quarter 2017.

I know plans have changed since then.

Aictos

Established Member
Certainly there will be some "test" 700's knocking around the GN - service trains is another issue altogether !

Indeed, I know one route on the GN which will see every single Class 700 pass though so you're quite right there ;)

Class377/5

Established Member
Ah, didn't realise that you outrank director level! Not everything you see in your job is set in concrete yet as you seem to often think it is.

I never said I was. Being told its already cleared its as good as it gets. But hey if you know better, feel free to inform others on the thread as you see fit, the same as I will. Meanwhile those with actual dates of events continue on getting everything sorted in the knowledge dates do and have changed.

RobShipway

Established Member
I am the first to admit that I do not work within the rail industry, I work within the computer software industry. But like the rail industry, in the computer software industry things do not always work as they should first time and yes in introducing things there maybe hurdles to get over such as Infrastructure changes that need to occur, which also happens quite often within the software industry.

What is not needed is bickering between people whether in computer software industry or the rail industry as to who knows what, who should be saying what or who should know more than the senior ops or director.

My point is that this should be a forum of information for those both inside and outside the rail industry, with interests in it to come together to discuss issues not bicker about those issues. Be happy folks......

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I am the first to admit that I do not work within the rail industry, I work within the computer software industry. But like the rail industry, in the computer software industry things do not always work as they should first time and yes in introducing things there maybe hurdles to get over such as Infrastructure changes that need to occur, which also happens quite often within the software industry.

What is not needed is bickering between people whether in computer software industry or the rail industry as to who knows what, who should be saying what or who should know more than the senior ops or director.

My point is that this should be a forum of information for those both inside and outside the rail industry, with interests in it to come together to discuss issues not bicker about those issues. Be happy folks......

Well said. It does not need to be a game of Poker with each side fronting the other out. Most unbecoming of us professionals and non-professionals. Cooperation is better for the whole.

4-COR 3142

Are we any closer to knowing when 700 106 will start running? or indeed if another one is due in the UK beforehand?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Will the next one to arrive in the UK be running on its own power all the way (except within the tunnel) or will it be towed all the way?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Almost certainly towed all the way. Much easier: don't have to get it certified for operation in every country it needs to pass through, don't have to fit all the signalling interface equipment and, most crucially, much of the way if electrified will not be electrified at 25kV AC!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Almost certainly towed all the way. Much easier: don't have to get it certified for operation in every country it needs to pass through, don't have to fit all the signalling interface equipment and, most crucially, much of the way if electrified will not be electrified at 25kV AC!

Would it be allowed to run on it's own power in 3rd rail mode once in the UK or will they tow it within the UK as well?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
tow it, as otherwise they would need to train the delivery drivers (with the route knowledge) to drive the units.

Also, they may, like the first unit, be split in sections during delivery

Class377/5

Established Member
Sooner or later?

Within the planned window of introduction.

Will the next one to arrive in the UK be running on its own power all the way (except within the tunnel) or will it be towed all the way?

Towed, they all will be.

tow it, as otherwise they would need to train the delivery drivers (with the route knowledge) to drive the units.

Also, they may, like the first unit, be split in sections during delivery

First few are to be spilt up for delivery.

BingBong50

Who do the wagons used to split up the units and top and tail belong to? Are they sent out from the UK to the factory to enable the delivery or vv?

387star

On Moderation
Is bedford train care depot being downgraded at all when the 700 depots are fully operational likewise brighton?

Status
Not open for further replies.