• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yes there will be at least 4ph, possibly 6tph from Elephant and Castle that terminate Blackfriars. Some of these will come from Herne Hill. This happens today (albeit not 4tph) and will continue to happen post 2018.

As Class377/5 states, Central turnbacks at Blackfriars would have meant that all northbound services from London Bridge would have to cross all southbound services to Elephant and Castle, including those starting at Blackfriars. Not realistic.

Re London Bridge, all trains departing the terminating platforms heading for New Cross Gate will be routed via the Down Slow through the dive under; the 'fast' trains will then swap to the 'fast' line at Bricklayers Arms Junction.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Thanks Bald Rick for the answer. So still plenty of services terminating from Elephant and Castle then. That junction South of Blackfriars is probably the next one on the list to deal with but, as said before elsewhere, its not simple as there is not enough length to thread in fly-overs or dive-unders. The work East of London Bridge will provide a big improvement however.

Yabbadabba

The first 25kv test was conducted last night at Three Bridges Depot under test conditions to ensure no interference with the BML running lines, I think all were happy with the outcome.

Yabbadabba

Interesting is part of the depot wired with ac? I have not seen that.

One of the roads inside the shed (road 6 nearest the mainline I believe) is fitted with a 25kv test rig, the train is unable to move under power form it.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Won't fast Southern services be crossing at BrickLayer's Arms? I understood the dive under was for slow Southern services only.

As mentioned above by Bald Rick all down 'Southern' trains from London Bridge heading towards New Cross Gate will use the line that becomes the down slow, but will be able to cross onto the down fast, this wouldn't be considered a flat crossing conflict because it doesn't impact on trains travelling in the opposite direction.

But what he didn't mention is that most services which we now consider 'Southern fast' via NXG will by 2018 be running through the core to provide the majority of the 16 tph Thameslink through services...

Last edited:

acg5324

Two Hastings DEMU power cars have arrived at Three Bridges from HDL to act as depot shunter for a few days....50s technology to the rescue.

Aictos

Established Member
Two Hastings DEMU power cars have arrived at Three Bridges from HDL to act as depot shunter for a few days....50s technology to the rescue.

They could have sent Clive over for a few days, but saying that would it have enough power to shunt the set?

Dr Iver

Why don't they just use it under its own power?? Are they still having "software" problems so they can't start it up??

Class377/5

Established Member
Why don't they just use it under its own power?? Are they still having "software" problems so they can't start it up??

Careful of making assumptions. Your assuming its not in the plan to be static yet.

CraigS

Established Member
Saw them, why are they using them and not a class 66 for example?

Hastings Diesels have a emergency dellner couplings, as used recently when used for the class 375 drag the other week. A combination of that and as already mentioned, probably a cheaper hire rate than a 66.

If anyone is on the Preserved Thumpers page on facebook, a photo of the two motor coaches attached to the 700 in on there.

matt9f

Saw the Hastings Units here today. They look so OLD against the new infrastructure but it's great they're still useful.

CraigS

Established Member
The DEMU is due to return to St Leonards during Friday PM. Perhaps 73202 will come down from Stewarts Lane to Three Bridge at some point, if needs be.

Yet another working that just makes 2015 so outrageous, in a good way of course! :lol:

1001 was on stand-by a couple of times during wintry conditions in 2005. A HDL article which has a photo of the coupling in closer detail can be found here.

Deepgreen

Established Member
The DEMU is due to return to St Leonards during Friday PM. Perhaps 73202 will come down from Stewarts Lane to Three Bridge at some point, if needs be.

Yet another working that just makes 2015 so outrageous, in a good way of course! :lol:

1001 was on stand-by a couple of times during wintry conditions in 2005. A HDL article which has a photo of the coupling in closer detail can be found here.

I hadn't realised that the specification for 700s included 'get you home' diesel power!

Bigfoot

I believe poor "Clive" has problems with his gear box / transmission innards - no doubt some Hornsey expert can confirm ....

(I think "he" was the last 03 overhauled at Swindon way , way back)

Not suprised that he's unwell. We all know that machines/engines etc are always referred to as female... I'd be protesting too!

Status
Not open for further replies.