• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class377/5

Established Member
Would a boost in capacity for 2 years be worth the cost of training up those drivers not already signed on Vic routes?

I see tonight that some peak services from Vic to Dartford are running as 4-car instead of 6 (which are already very busy and really should be 8). This is very common and waiting 2+ years to sort this out if 319s are in sidings would be a great shame. Trains through Denmark Hill serve Kings College hospital and I feel for those folk trying to get on 6 coach trains.

EDIT: So the short formed train left Vic 6 mins late. Lost more time due to crowding and now 10 down at Lewisham. This has delayed at least 3 following trains. Assuming padding doesn't help how much will that cost? 2 years of similar must add up £££ let alone worse conditions for passengers.

Off topic but even if the 319 went to SE, there would be no difference to the formations today as there stock in large numbers hasn't been release.

Also your complaining of busy trains is due to the Tube issues and guess what, isn't limited to SE nor is SE the worst affected in the real world when you look at other TOCs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
Currently onboard 700108 which has had a door related sit down at Mitcham Eastfields (and a passenger egress device for good measure). However it seems that there was a second person onboard in addition to the driver. Traveling fitter or just an OBS style person?

Also is there supposed to be SDO at Mitcham junction on the city bound line or was an incorrect stopping position issue. Thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
700018 even
Whoever it is on the PA, they are doing a stellar job, so kudos for that. However, for a train designed for high capacity people moving, the fact that we went from 3 late at Mitcham junction to 35 late at Loughborough junction isn't exactly brilliant, although I suppose today is beyond normal, and the loss of the path at Mitcham Eastfields won't have helped.
Mystery solved, Instructor on the radio, trainee (who's never seen anything like it) in the driver's seat

SDO 7 coaches in both directions.

ScotGG

Established Member
Off topic but even if the 319 went to SE, there would be no difference to the formations today as there stock in large numbers hasn't been release.

Also your complaining of busy trains is due to the Tube issues and guess what, isn't limited to SE nor is SE the worst affected in the real world when you look at other TOCs.

1) Not today but what about by the summer? Enough 319s available to remove 6 car peak time running on routes from Vic?

2) Not just today when referring to busy trains! Vic routes to Dartford and Orpington are rammed every weekday - just exacerbated today.Have you caught a Vic to Dartford train (diagramed as 6 carriages) at Denmark Hill or Lewisham in the peak?

You regularly go on about comparing SE overcrowding to others. Those lines from Vic are very bad, and if some 319s will be sitting around as 2017 goes along and no other TOCs is using them then utilise them where they can be. Not much other third rail stock sitting free in coming months is there?

Last edited:

Established Member
GTR couldn't even be bothered to get extra 319s into service today to strengthen and happlily sent 4 cars out in the peak. Why would your expect any other Govia shower to be any more interested in passengers?

And, yes, I do understand diagramming before 377/5 kicks off, other TOCs managed to get additional resources out even if it was under control arrangements. If the 46 from 51 diagrams quote elsewhere is accurate it's a poor show to have 4s out.

1E07 was cancelled at Blackfriars today due to a "planning error" and never made it to Sevenoaks.

Would this be due to lacking a driver who has signed the 700?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Does it happen often that a driver turns up to drive a TL service (either from the start or taking over from another driver), a 700 turns up and they don't sign 700s?

hemsl

1E07 was cancelled at Blackfriars today due to a "planning error" and never made it to Sevenoaks.

Would this be due to lacking a driver who has signed the 700?

If this was the train due to depart Blackfriars at 18.04, then yes, that was indeed the reason. I was on the train. It was very busy on leaving City Thameslink. When we arrived at Blackfriars the driver announced that he was due to be replaced by another, but that driver wasn't qualified to drive the train.

The platform was packed before our train arrived. Getting off the train and out of the station was a slow (and potentially dangerous) process.

Someone caught a picture and tweeted:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Plaslett/status/818523816007700480

Class377/5

Established Member
GTR couldn't even be bothered to get extra 319s into service today to strengthen and happlily sent 4 cars out in the peak. Why would your expect any other Govia shower to be any more interested in passengers?

And, yes, I do understand diagramming before 377/5 kicks off, other TOCs managed to get additional resources out even if it was under control arrangements. If the 46 from 51 diagrams quote elsewhere is accurate it's a poor show to have 4s out.

You failed to understand diagramming and what availability is. You have 5 units for things like repair and maintenance work meaning those units are not spare. Or do you honest expect no maintenance to be done on trains?

And that's without the extra drivers as the four cars are all 8 cars at some point so you'd need extra moves. Trying magically getting them at short notice.

Poor show is your own understanding of how the railway works. So it's not cannot be bother just people's inability to think why things are the way they are.
1) Not today but what about by the summer? Enough 319s available to remove 6 car peak time running on routes from Vic?

2) Not just today when referring to busy trains! Vic routes to Dartford and Orpington are rammed every weekday - just exacerbated today.Have you caught a Vic to Dartford train (diagramed as 6 carriages) at Denmark Hill or Lewisham in the peak?

You regularly go on about comparing SE overcrowding to others. Those lines from Vic are very bad, and if some 319s will be sitting around as 2017 goes along and no other TOCs is using them then utilise them where they can be. Not much other third rail stock sitting free in coming months is there?

Continuing with your off topic thread (you do derail every thread you post in) you confuse bad over crowding on SE with worse. Simple fact is SE isn't the worst and it's had new stock. You seem incapable of understand those to simple facts. But harsh maybe but quite frankly your shown your incapable of understand subtle hints and I'd fed of explaining your errors on a weekly basis.

Oh and for the record 319s might start to be free in summer but it your failing to take into account Driver trains. Remember there are no spare 319s for SE to take at present. Another common mistake you make.

redbutton

Does it happen often that a driver turns up to drive a TL service (either from the start or taking over from another driver), a 700 turns up and they don't sign 700s?

Normally it happens when the driver books on, AIUI. There are systems in place to prevent the roster clerks from assigning drivers to work they don't sign, but when there are last-minute amendments to the diagrams after they are allocated then a driver might book on and be handed an illegal diagram.

If he doesn't catch it at that point and hand it back to the Production Manager, then it could definitely be the case that the driver ends up getting caught out in the way you describe.

TB411 was a no-show this morning when running the 1E65 this morning, and instead was operated by a pair of 319s that both lacked the accessible loos and both lacked any first class areas.

Quite a downgrade, given that it was indeed run by a 700 yesterday!

Stew998

Nope. As discussed endlessly on this very forum, there was a independent study done looking at passenger loadings that showed tables etc would mean passenger take too long to enter/board for the full 2018 timetable. Personally I've seen people start get ready to leave the train at once the doors open then force the doors open at the last minute on a regular basis so this sort of behaviour is common.

So nothing to do with bean counters but actual researched human behaviour aimed at providing the most capacity it can.
That may be the case but it doesn't make it very user friendly if the stock is used on non-suburban routes, this smacks slightly of the passengers being the problem.

Human nature being what it is, omitting tables won't solve the "problem" anyway, there are still bags, coats, brollies etc. to gather up all of which becomes quite a challenge especially when the carriage is full and standing.

We all doze off sometimes and only realise we are at our stop at the last minute, and on a full 12 car service the law of averages says there will be at least one at almost every stop (unless all passengers can be reprogrammed).

Class377/5

Established Member
That may be the case but it doesn't make it very user friendly if the stock is used on non-suburban routes, this smacks slightly of the passengers being the problem.

Human nature being what it is, omitting tables won't solve the "problem" anyway, there are still bags, coats, brollies etc. to gather up all of which becomes quite a challenge especially when the carriage is full and standing.

We all doze off sometimes and only realise we are at our stop at the last minute, and on a full 12 car service the law of averages says there will be at least one at almost every stop (unless all passengers can be reprogrammed).

Worth noting the railway didn't order them this way. The DfT did.
TB411 was a no-show this morning when running the 1E65 this morning, and instead was operated by a pair of 319s that both lacked the accessible loos and both lacked any first class areas.

Quite a downgrade, given that it was indeed run by a 700 yesterday!

The 319s were on TB511 was it wasn't a no show. Due to Driver not signing 700 but spare 319s were used. Better 319 than no train.

Established Member
You failed to understand diagramming and what availability is. You have 5 units for things like repair and maintenance work meaning those units are not spare. Or do you honest expect no maintenance to be done on trains?

And that's without the extra drivers as the four cars are all 8 cars at some point so you'd need extra moves. Trying magically getting them at short notice.

Poor show is your own understanding of how the railway works. So it's not cannot be bother just people's inability to think why things are the way they are.

1) Err, yes. Spare and maintenance units can and are diagrammed and allocated out in these situations. I know at least two LSE TOCs who did this on Monday. If there is a will there is a way.
2) Driver shortages - well thats a bed GTR choose to lie in. STP additional diagrams or control arrangements are run of the mill.
3) But it can and is done elsewhere, so why should GTR get a free ride for being an absolute shower because they don't do things most others do as as a matter of course to improve the passengers lot?

Failed Unit

Established Member

Other TOCs manage to strengthen during times of increased demands.

Examples EMT - during the Lincoln Christmas market and Grand national
SWT - During the rugby matches at twickenham
Scotrail - During the Edinburgh festival and various golf events.
East Coast during various airline issues have managed at very short notice to increase the services to Edinburgh including hire of an XC HST (I think West coast did something similar) The ask cloud was a very short notice thing where the long distance TOC excelled.

During the open events Scotrail admitted they postponed maintence for the benefit of thier customers.

But this is GTR - they have no interest in customers. My point is that other parts of the railway manage this and have the same problems because they want to make a positive impact on thier customers. GTR don't care as they are on a management contract so customer satisfaction isn't important to them.

I do find at times how members of staff for GTR seem to think that thier incompetance is acceptable - imaging how good the franchise would be if it had a decent customer focused management team in place.
1) Err, yes. Spare and maintenance units can and are diagrammed and allocated out in these situations. I know at least two LSE TOCs who did this on Monday. If there is a will there is a way.
2) Driver shortages - well thats a bed GTR choose to lie in. STP additional diagrams or control arrangements are run of the mill.
3) But it can and is done elsewhere, so why should GTR get a free ride for being an absolute shower because they don't do things most others do as as a matter of course to improve the passengers lot?

You could argue that lots of 377 and 387s are sat doing nothing during the strike that should be running on Southern services (including getting maintained) but we won't go there.

Class377/5

Established Member
Other TOCs manage to strengthen during times of increased demands.

Examples EMT - during the Lincoln Christmas market and Grand national
SWT - During the rugby matches at twickenham
Scotrail - During the Edinburgh festival and various golf events.
East Coast during various airline issues have managed at very short notice to increase the services to Edinburgh including hire of an XC HST (I think West coast did something similar) The ask cloud was a very short notice thing where the long distance TOC excelled.

Most of those are at times where unit allocations are at its lowest meaning there are spare. Thameslink units generally work from 0500 until 2200 so there aren't the spare stock in the same way.

During the open events Scotrail admitted they postponed maintence for the benefit of thier customers.

But Thameslink uses it stock more more intensively. Don't forget Scotrail doesn't run a 2tph all night service. The longest diagrams on Thameslink run over 26hrs (with a couple of hours break before running for another 20 odd hours).

But this is GTR - they have no interest in customers. My point is that other parts of the railway manage this and have the same problems because they want to make a positive impact on thier customers. GTR don't care as they are on a management contract so customer satisfaction isn't important to them.

You are trying to compare apples with oranges. You seem to think clicking your fingers can change things but you have have no idea of the issue at hand. Your attack on an explanation shows your not actually willing to listen to reason. I'm not sure why I bother.

I do find at times how members of staff for GTR seem to think that thier incompetance is acceptable - imaging how good the franchise would be if it had a decent customer focused management team in place.

I think your ignorant on what is actually is making you assume your know what's going on. Try learning and listening because you your claiming isn't actually try but hey, attack GTR and its staff is something this forum is good at, facts be dammed.

Especially as the issues you describe would be the same regardless of who would be running the franchise. Especially as the fleet is working more than it did even under FCC.

You could argue that lots of 377 and 387s are sat doing nothing during the strike that should be running on Southern services (including getting maintained) but we won't go there.

More proof of your ignorance here as the few areas where Southern DC fleet can be used are doing so with Bedford to Brighton services lengthened and additional services ran (using spare 700s that have been commissioned ahead of diagram increases).

Most of those 377s are DC only so useless for Thameslink. The few 377s (Southern has 7 DV 377s) and the 387/2 cannot simply be put into service with Thameslink as they need hardware mods that would mean they cannot be used for SN/GX services for a few days afterwards.

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
I think your ignorant on what is actually is making you assume your know what's going on. Try learning and listening because you your claiming isn't actually try but hey, attack GTR and its staff is something this forum is good at, facts be dammed.

Especially as the issues you describe would be the same regardless of who would be running the franchise. Especially as the fleet is working more than it did even under FCC.

That is a big assumption on your behalf as well - so I would say 2 wrongs don't make a right.

All I know if that.

1. the service has gone downhill rapidly since GTR took over. (on all routes)
2. Other operators manage to increase capacity and will have thier own challenges.

Your view it appears to me is that GTR can do no wrong - which I also find odd considering if the franchise was terminated tomorrow you would still have a job with whoever took it over.

I will leave it at that - as I don't want this to go into personal insults from either side. (which calling me ignorant is) I have no time for GTR and would love to see them stripped of the franchise. Management aside I have no issue with any of thier staff.

Class377/5

Established Member
That is a big assumption on your behalf as well - so I would say 2 wrongs don't make a right.

All I know if that.

1. the service has gone downhill rapidly since GTR took over. (on all routes)
2. Other operators manage to increase capacity and will have thier own challenges.

Your view it appears to me is that GTR can do no wrong - which I also find odd considering if the franchise was terminated tomorrow you would still have a job with whoever took it over.

I will leave it at that - as I don't want this to go into personal insults from either side. (which calling me ignorant is) I have no time for GTR and would love to see them stripped of the franchise. Management aside I have no issue with any of thier staff.

You displayed ignorance of the issue and attacked my reply as you didn't like the fact based reply. If you took that as meaning your ignorance person in general, that was not my meaning.

I have not displayed anything other than trying to add some facts to the subject by explaining what is and isn't possible. My personal opinions of GTR haven't been given. However GTR is not free to do what it wants, this is well documented.

But perhaps your are right to end this discussion as it seems we cannot agree.

Failed Unit

Established Member
You displayed ignorance of the issue and attacked my reply as you didn't like the fact based reply. If you took that as meaning your ignorance person in general, that was not my meaning.

I have not displayed anything other than trying to add some facts to the subject by explaining what is and isn't possible. My personal opinions of GTR haven't been given. However GTR is not free to do what it wants, this is well documented.

But perhaps your are right to end this discussion as it seems we cannot agree.

Again that is a big assumption an your behalf. What I did was provide evidence that other TOCs which have their own challenges sort stuff out. No TOC in the U.K. Has the luxury of spare resources but a willingness to provide decent customer service. It is no coincidence that GoVia franchises are at the bottom of customer satisfaction. (Even before them management contract).

It was not an attack just a different viewpoint.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
FCC used to run some queue buster trains for Arsenal fans, but I have no idea if that still happens.

For an evening or weekend game, you'd think there's some capacity and scope to do so. As much a convenience for other passengers as for Arsenal fans.

Failed Unit

Established Member
FCC used to run some queue buster trains for Arsenal fans, but I have no idea if that still happens.

For an evening or weekend game, you'd think there's some capacity and scope to do so. As much a convenience for other passengers as for Arsenal fans.

They are in the timetable - but cancelled - no driver available on the times I have being around when they should be runnning.

I guess we need to get back to class 700s however (sorry for taking it off topic)

ScotGG

Established Member

Continuing with your off topic thread (you do derail every thread you post in) you confuse bad over crowding on SE with worse. Simple fact is SE isn't the worst and it's had new stock. You seem incapable of understand those to simple facts.
Oh and for the record 319s might start to be free in summer but it your failing to take into account Driver trains. Remember there are no spare 319s for SE to take at present. Another common mistake you make.

You always get so snappy and ultra defensive in threads.

So overcrowding is worse elsewhere apparently - even though SE routes from Vic are crush loaded and people sometimes cannot board. This new stock you always bring up still means 4 and 6 carriage trains in the peak from Victoria so its clearly far from enough.

But even if we assume they're not in the top 5% of worse crowding, does that mean that trains that are crush loaded should not be relieved IF there's stock that could help and will be sitting idle, which is the case as 2017 progresses? You seem to think only the VERY worst services across the UK should be helped even if others are so busy people cannot board?!

Again, NO ONE is saying 319s can move today. You always say, today, today, today when that isn't the question. It's about the coming 2 years at least. If enough are free by the summer, then driver training could commence and strengthened services arrive perhaps in a year. It's still better than waiting 2+ years, if ever given the jam tomorrow line always spouted on more stock that actually makes a difference. Given the many 6 coach trains in the peaks from Vic and Cannon Street what's happened so far has made little to no impact.

Mordac

Established Member
Unless Class 377/5, I don't work for GTR. Yet even I get tired of seeing the usual suspects post endless repetitions of the same complaints in this thread. I can easily imagine that someone who is involved with the introduction of these trains can get tired of reading the same old vitriol over and over and reply in a snappy way.

D365

Veteran Member
But even if we assume they're not in the top 5% of worse crowding, does that mean that trains that are crush loaded should not be relieved IF there's stock that could help and will be sitting idle, which is the case as 2017 progresses? You seem to think only the VERY worst services across the UK should be helped even if others are so busy people cannot board?!

Are there not several Class 377/5 units transferring to SE in the short term at least? IIRC the Class 319s will be the final type to be replaced by the Class 700s on Thameslink.

ScotGG

Established Member
Are there not several Class 377/5 units transferring to SE in the short term at least? IIRC the Class 319s will be the final type to be replaced by the Class 700s on Thameslink.

Yes some did come over but SE gave up other stock to GTR I believe in a swap. Anyway, no net increase or longer services from this recent change.
Unless Class 377/5, I don't work for GTR. Yet even I get tired of seeing the usual suspects post endless repetitions of the same complaints in this thread. I can easily imagine that someone who is involved with the introduction of these trains can get tired of reading the same old vitriol over and over and reply in a snappy way.

I get the same old comments on 700 faults, seats, tables etc. But no one has really given a clear answer of where all the 319s go when GTR no longer require them.

Class377/5

Established Member

You repeating the same complaints that quite frankly are untrue. The big one you repeatedly state is SE has had no new stock but fail to look at the 395 affecting the SE longer distance services and the 319/377/387/700 now running on former SE metro routes. And no stock has been cascaded away. So more units somehow equal nothing for you?

So overcrowding is worse elsewhere apparently - even though SE routes from Vic are crush loaded and people sometimes cannot board. This new stock you always bring up still means 4 and 6 carriage trains in the peak from Victoria so its clearly far from enough.

And some places don't even have four cars. Some places have to wait until second or third trains (as was the case for some on here on Thameslink prior to the 700s arrival).

Yes its clearly not enough but there isn't the money to fix every problem. The issues you raise simply aren't anywhere near the worst despite having the advantage of getting more stock meaning you cannot expect to have everything you want.

The worst crush loaded trains should be tackled first. SE is not the worst at present. Therefore with limited resources the money needs to go to better deserving causes. Your making out that everything must be dealt with at once, that is an isane idea.

Again, NO ONE is saying 319s can move today. You always say, today, today, today when that isn't the question. It's about the coming 2 years at least. If enough are free by the summer, then driver training could commence and strengthened services arrive perhaps in a year. It's still better than waiting 2+ years, if ever given the jam tomorrow line always spouted on more stock that actually makes a difference. Given the many 6 coach trains in the peaks from Vic and Cannon Street what's happened so far has made little to no impact.

But why spend months teaching more drivers to learn the 319s then replace them a few months later? Its a huge waste of money and time for all.

Also you ignore where will the trains be maintained? SE doesn't have the depot capacity to look after the 319s (its not looking after the 377s either). So you will need to build a 319 depot that will look after the units for a few months. And no GTR cannot maintain the stock as they do not have the capacity to do so.

Yes some did come over but SE gave up other stock to GTR I believe in a swap. Anyway, no net increase or longer services from this recent change.

6x 377 have been swapped for SE's 6x 319s.

However there is an increase as SE is using the units on whatever it wants so can use the units better rather than having to have them berth up for Thameslink limiting their freedom.

I get the same old comments on 700 faults, seats, tables etc. But no one has really given a clear answer of where all the 319s go when GTR no longer require them.

You cannot have a clear answer when one doesn't exist. The 30 or so units that currently don't have a home, don't have a home. If no-one is taking the units how can you find out where they are going? This point cannot be clearer.

And to be fair this is the class 700 thread, hence the comments over peoples views on class 700. This is no the Thameslink cascade thread nor is is the SE needs extra capacity or the future of 319 threads. I thought'd the title of the thread was clear on that?

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I still need to have a good run on AC, and probably a decent run on DC (all my long distance trips so far have been on stopping services).

A job for a Sunday making use of one of the super-off peak day returns I suspect from Brighton when GWR are running

Minstral25

Established Member
Is the delivery still 4 new 700's per month and when do we start seeing more 12 car units again?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Is the delivery still 4 new 700's per month and when do we start seeing more 12 car units again?

This was the originally posted order:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2255615&postcount=1349

The batches of 700 deliveries have already been announced.

1 - 11x 12 cars
2 - 6x 8 cars
3 - 4x 12 cars
4 - 40x 8 cars
5 - 30x 12 cars
6 - 12x 8 cars
7 - 10x 12 cars
8 - 2x 8 cars

The big batch of 8-cars to release 319s and then 12-cars to replace 377s on Southern services.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.