• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
Count yourself lucky you were on the 1638 from Blackfriars. The 1658 from Blackfriars (1550 from Bedford) developed a fault at Crystal Palace leading to all its passengers being detrained there. It went on to Three Bridges depot empty about 30 minutes afterwards. The return working appears to have picked up again at Three Bridges but don't know whether that was the same unit or not.

Separate units 112 was the offending unit, would have moved on quicker from crystal palace but had a mutiny onboard with one passenger refusing to leave the train (was trying unsuccessfully to gee people up to get back on). Defective AWS, 40 mph all the way to three bridges.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Separate units 112 was the offending unit, would have moved on quicker from crystal palace but had a mutiny onboard with one passenger refusing to leave the train (was trying unsuccessfully to gee people up to get back on). Defective AWS, 40 mph all the way to three bridges.

Interesting - do the rules state that trains may run ECS at reduced speed without AWS? Did the AWS defect render the train completely unresponsive to automatic warnings/overspeed activations, etc?

Class377/5

Established Member
Here's a taste of things to come in 2018!

There was one unit sat in Three Bridges last year with Cambridge on the front. The codes for many of the future possible trips exist and work like a Three Bridges to Bedford calling at...

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
And yet the 387s still can't even say 'Great Northern' (but seem quite happy to say East Coast, Grand Central, One...)

westcoaster

Established Member
Interesting - do the rules state that trains may run ECS at reduced speed without AWS? Did the AWS defect render the train completely unresponsive to automatic warnings/overspeed activations, etc?

Section tw5 of the rule book applies

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170125-162214.png
    Screenshot_20170125-162214.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 96

tsr

Established Member

Not the first time a 700 has had AWS issues there, as I understand it. In fact, I believe the previous issue was similar.

I raised the inability of TL services to call at Crystal Palace during disruption way back, with GTR's predecessors - so of course it was especially annoying that it seemed nobody could actually get a direct train to stop there and take the detrained passengers to East Croydon and points south thereof! Had this been done, and had there been sufficient staff and information to relay such information on, I suspect the line could have been opened a good 20 minutes quicker, reducing the impact to the Southern Metro in the peak.

Class377/5

Established Member
Not the first time a 700 has had AWS issues there, as I understand it. In fact, I believe the previous issue was similar.

Many units have AWS issues. The 387/1 were awful for that when first introduced.

Stew998

Was on the 1952 from Blackfriars to Brighton tonight and the doors did not open at Three Bridges - the driver did not realise until after the train had left. The cameras were working but he couldn't see/didn't notice that the doors weren't opening apparently.

Nic Robinson

Was on the 1952 from Blackfriars to Brighton tonight and the doors did not open at Three Bridges - the driver did not realise until after the train had left. The cameras were working but he couldn't see/didn't notice that the doors weren't opening apparently.

Is this actually possible?

Stew998

Is this actually possible?
I'm only reporting what was announced by the driver but it seems so.

I wasn't getting off at Three Bridges and the train was not busy so I didn't notice anything odd at the time.

I'm not sure how the driver realised, perhaps station staff reported it and control contacted the driver?

Class2ldn

The issue is that when you stop at a station the hmi should default to the door screen but they don't always do it.
If you stop and think you've pressed the release and you haven't got the screen up then yes it is possible however you still have the interlock lights so it's definitely a bit of an odd one

Class377/5

Established Member
The AWS on 387's was due to the fact the cancellation time was reduced to 1.8 seconds and not the normal 2.8, they also had lots of issues with the tpws mk4.

That's not the fault I'm talking about but the large volumes of calls from drivers over messages received. All now long fixed.

Class377/5

Established Member
Nice shot of very manual SDO there!

On one of the commissinging/testing runs. Can't remember which 12 car tho. Was pre service tho. As that required door release they had to put those up at doors plus staff the train.

Class315

700's undergoing more night testing on the GN tonight.

700110 is running north as 3Z01 0020 XHE Hornsey EMUD - XHE Hornsey EMUD via Peterborough signal P78.

jon0844

Veteran Member
On Bombardier trains, tape would probably last longer than buttons.

(couldn't go a whole week without doing a joke about buttons, sorry)

Class377/5

Established Member
700's undergoing more night testing on the GN tonight.

700110 is running north as 3Z01 0020 XHE Hornsey EMUD - XHE Hornsey EMUD via Peterborough signal P78.

It ran to Stevenage via Hertford the night before.

Roast Veg

Established Member
What was the reason the route from St Pancras to Finsbury Park isn't going to be used at first? Was it an engineering issue?

cyclebytrain

I'm (finally) doing my first 700 journey and so far I don't find the seats comfortable (disappointing to me, because I find the 387 seats to be wonderful. These are definitely not the same).

The power sockets in the declassified 1st are nice, but there's an awful buzzing noise. If I didn't have my noise cancellers I would literally have to bail out and wait for the next train. Presumably (hopefully?) this is a fault? (2O49, the 1200 from Blackfriars in case anyone wants to check).

The white on blue LCD screens are great an easy to read. Personally, I think the accessible toilet arrangements aren't good for someone in a wheelchair, the gap to get past it is too small to get past comfortably in a wheelchair.

As for the gap around the 1st class door, the engineers responsible should hang their heads in shame. I know why it's there but a door where you can grab one edge to open it, but the equivalent top edge is a finger trap hazard that needs a warning sign? That's just poor design.

Still, the ride is pretty nice; so overall I'd say, 7 / 10 from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.