Thameslink Services/Timetable from May 20th 2018

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by blakey1152, 17 May 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthKent1989

NorthKent1989 Member

Good points, the Medway does deserve this since we do have a parallel premier service, the HS1 so yes Thameslink should make fares cheaper for making our journeys longer

It's going to be longer than five minutes, with the added stations I've calculated an increase time of 10-15 mins, and that's not taking into account the dwell times at each station, so it'll probably be a 15 min increase time, let's not forget that this service, despite missing out three stations will still be longer than a stopper.

2. Andrewh32

Andrewh32 Member

Not looking good in my area (Peterborough) seem to be a fair number of cancellations today

3. BluePenguin

BluePenguin On Moderation

As will I! I am placing my bets on there being a complete meltdown with hundreds complaining they are late for work having not checked the new timetable over the weekend to find their normal journey either doesn't exist anymore or is much slower

It will be an interesting day to say the least lol.

4. AM9

AM9 Established Member

So how would you suggest that the cost of any price reduction is funded?

5. AM9

AM9 Established Member

I think that will be the biggest issue, i.e. "nobody told me". It's been difficult avoiding TV, radio and postered information on the changes. Those who haven't travelled for a number of weeks/months don't have any excuse either as anybody shouldn't reasonably expect their particular train services to remain unchanged forever.

6. MotCO

MotCO Member

According to RealTimeTrains, the trains from Victoria will arrive on platform 2, and return to Victoria from that platform. Typically they have 8 minutes between arrival and departure, but if the departure is 3 minutes late, following trains from Blackfriars will be delayed.

7. Antman

Antman Established Member

I think platform 2 is the only place that they can be reversed?

8. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

Alternative during late running may be to turn back short at Beckenham Junction or Kent House to prevent knock on delay. It may be the case that, as stoppers are every 15 minutes, the next one won't be far behind anyway.

9. Taunton

Taunton Established Member

Shambles now in the national media

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-44188947

"A GTR spokesman added: "We are working hard to minimise the impact this will have on our busiest trains. This situation will improve."

So they are working to address issues on their "busiest" trains (ie weekday peak). Presumably anyone travelling outside these times can go and get stuffed.

10. Iggy12a

Iggy12a Member

At least the TVMs at Gatwick are selling a ticket to London Thameslink, with an automatic popup of the applicable stations. IMG_20180520_124950846.jpg IMG_20180520_125001507_HDR.jpg

11. ScotGG

ScotGG Member

12. Minstral25

Minstral25 Established Member

Don't know how to quote from closed threads so I hope this works.

TSR - Yesterday
    The Destinations change because the Reigate to Victoria service is reduced from Half-hourly weekdays to hourly so GTR are stopping an Arun Valley train to maintain Redhill’s 2tph to Victoria.

The LBG/Thameslink service is to keep stopping patterns so as the Peterborough service is only running hourly the Cambridge service (also running hourly) is diverted via Redhill to match the weekday service.

If the timings hadn’t been changed it’s not thus a completely different timetable but just a different arrangement of the weekday service.

Jonathan H – Yesterday
    It is overkill at Redhill for 6 tph on Sunday. However according to GTR Brighton (I assume you mean) is the 7th most popular destination from Redhill, so not so much fixation but disappointment

Quote TSR – today
    I’d concur with that. There is a lot of Victoria usage from the Redhill line and the new much slower services do not reflect that and the loss of Brighton services which still remains a top destination from Redhill with the forced changes at Gatwick will be very unpopular.

Of all the flip side, Reigate is very much a station from which London Bridge is preferred as GTR agreed, but the loss of all direct services with the arrival of the half-hourly Victoria train will also hurt local passengers.

I do agree with a lot of your thoughts. I also predict on Monday we will hear a lot about ruined journeys rather than improvements. Probably with School kids having to make 2 or 3 changes instead of a direct train.

The Peterborough to Horsham service has also caused the loss of a local all stations train from Purley to Horsham which means for the missed stations a lot of difficulties and waiting to change. It will end up skip stopping a lot as well I expect.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 May 2018
  13. Impey0711

Impey0711 Member

The 12:11 Gatwick to Peterborough was cancelled today due to operational issues

14. London Trains

London Trains Member

This may be getting worse, as I have rechecked some trains and now a lot of Southern metro services have messages such as "this train may not run" or "this is not part of the timetable and may be cancelled or only run today." Sounds a bit iffy.

15. Mike395

Mike395 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Tomorrow is going to be a interesting day across the GTR network one thinks... after a big timetable rehash such as this I'm never too critical of minor teething issues, but I fear this one is going to be considerably more than minor if all the recent speculation I've heard (and read on here!) regarding driver availability/rostering is to be believed.

It's telling that my query pressing into the graphic advising some Bedford-Brighton services are being 'phased in' has been completely ignored.

16. ComUtoR

ComUtoR Established Member

Some of us have been posting about it for months but constantly got dismissed as naysayers and doom mongers.

The cancellations are not just limited to GTR Thameslink either. The knock on effect they are having is impacting other, non GTR services.

17. Bishopstone

Bishopstone Established Member

GTR's social media feeds now suggesting (without specifics) there will be cancellations tomorrow: presumably in addition to the services being 'phased in' over the next month, and in addition to the overnight and early morning services that were quietly canned in another update last week.

In terms of timetable uncertainty, we're back to the dark days of the 2016 industrial dispute, not knowing - the night before - whether we'll make it to work on time, the next day.

18. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

Didn't some TL drivers get rushed over to GN to help? That could be causing some of the disruption to TL services today?

19. Mike395

Mike395 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I'd argue this has the potential to be worse than the height of the 2016 dispute - the 2016 dispute by and large only had major effect south of London, the MML is likely to feel the brunt of any issues this time too, especially as Bedford/Luton commuters can no longer use peak EMT services.

20. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

I have no doubt there are going to be some tough questions going forward on how today turned into such a fiasco.

The key issue was a shortage of drivers, not trains running late, missing slots etc. Drivers who didn't volunteer to work rest days, which they absolutely do not have to do (before I get jumped on as anti-driver!) and it being known in advance that things would go wrong. Hence my post in the small hours of today saying they'd already gone to yellow alert before the first trains had started.

I assume GTR was begging drivers to come in right up until yesterday, but if a large number had been out drinking then it was impossible. Once GTR realised they weren't going to get last minute volunteers, the chaos began and all the amended services started to show up that have left many stations with no trains for over three hours.

21. Mikey C

Mikey C Established Member

Cancellations on the "historic" route from Luton into STP also today.

22. Megafuss

Megafuss Member

23. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

Must be bad - VTEC ticket acceptance on some Peterborough services this evening !! o_Oo_Oo_O

24. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

Journey planners are already showing some cancellations for tomorrow morning. For example, 0420 Luton to Sutton, 0722 and 0752 St Albans to Sutton.

25. talltim

talltim Established Member

Yo're taking up valuable space on the train for longer, you need to pay more :rolleyes:

26. talltim

talltim Established Member

Presumably they are reckoning of getting more passengers by stoping in more places (otherwise why do it?) There's your extra revenue.

27. mmh

mmh Established Member

8th of June??

What complete nonsense. It really grates when a TOC's PR machine blatantly lies and insults people's intelligence like that. All day the Thameslink twitter account has been telling people cancellations were due to "an operating incident".

Unfortunately those of us who feared it would be a farce seem to have been right.

28. theironroad

theironroad Established Member

Does anybody know how many services have been cancelled today compared to the planned service (excluding engineering work).? If so, is there a breakdown as to cause of cancellation?

29. Failed Unit

Failed Unit Established Member

Not looking good for tomorrow evening and I need to go to London tomorrow.

GTR are however bullet proof. The will be investigated, review will show they are incompetent. Nothing further will happen and Charles Horton laughs all the way to the bank with his bonuses.

Glad this has hit the mainstream media, along with customer view points the new timetable is worse. Unfortunately too little too late.

30. theironroad

theironroad Established Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.