• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Ashes - are we going to win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacey

Right oh, just out of interest, who reckons we'll win the Ashes this time round?

To be perfectly honest, I didn't start following cricket til more or less this year and I'm still trying to get my head round all the rules!!

But...3 tests down, 2 to go - what does anyone think?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Right oh, just out of interest, who reckons we'll win the Ashes this time round?

To be perfectly honest, I didn't start following cricket til more or less this year and I'm still trying to get my head round all the rules!!

But...3 tests down, 2 to go - what does anyone think?

the headline in our local paper the other day was

'Swine flu hits 15 at Cricket club'

my guess is that they should get swine flu to bat for england if they want a chance of winning the ashes:D:D:D:D:D

mrcheek

Established Member
I think Australia will manage to eke out a victory in one of the remaining two matches (with the other being drawn), and thus the series will be drawn, and Australia will retain the Ashes.

Aussie_Rail

Well, from what I've been hearing over here, the win could go either way. Everyone that is mad about Cricket which doesn't include me are gleaming with confidence of wining it, but even some here think that England might win.

When was the last time England won The Ashes?

mrcheek

Established Member

2005. England won the series 2-1, with 2 draws in 5 incredibly closely fought matches. Most people will tell you that it was the best series ever.

Geezertronic

Established Member
2005. England won the series 2-1, with 2 draws in 5 incredibly closely fought matches. Most people will tell you that it was the best series ever.

Most of us English will say that, the Aussies will say that the 2006-2007 series was the best series ever :oops:

The Snap

Established Member
To be honest, if 2 of the 3 tests have already finished in a draw, I think it's quite feasible for the entire series to end in a draw.

I think Draw-England-Draw-Draw-Australia is the way it will pan out. I believe that if it does end in a draw, Australia win it because they are the existing holders...is that correct?

Ta,

mrcheek

Established Member
To be honest, if 2 of the 3 tests have already finished in a draw, I think it's quite feasible for the entire series to end in a draw.

I think Draw-England-Draw-Draw-Australia is the way it will pan out. I believe that if it does end in a draw, Australia win it because they are the existing holders...is that correct?

Ta,

Yes

Stacey

2005!!! So, it is potentially doable to win it again seeing as some of the same team are playing now as did in '05... that and that we're 1 up atm...

Though, the weather is playing its part though isn't it so...hmm, I'd like to think we'll win Headlingley then it's pretty much 'job done'...

mrcheek

Established Member
Most of us English will say that, the Aussies will say that the 2006-2007 series was the best series ever :oops:

Actully, the best series ever was 1932-33, where England hemmered the Aussies 4-1 in their own backyard, and Bradman showed what a pussy he was by refusing to play against Harold Larwood ever again.

England captain Douglas Jardine > everyone ever.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Actully, the best series ever was 1932-33, where England hemmered the Aussies 4-1 in their own backyard, and Bradman showed what a pussy he was by refusing to play against Harold Larwood ever again.

England captain Douglas Jardine > everyone ever.

Funnily enough, I doubt most armchair fans will remember that series :D

me123

Established Member
I remember the 2005 series. Probably the best cricket I've ever seen, regardless of who won.

I think England can do it, and I hope they do. There's no doubt in my mind that they can win back The Ashes. But you should never underestimate Australia, who are a formidable team. They can and will fight to keep them. I think they will struggle to win per se, but a draw (and hence Australia's retention of The Ashes) is likely.

Bighat

I absolutely loathe and despise the game of cricket.

Given the choice, I would prefer to sit and watch paint dry.

As for the ashes, scatter them over a rugby union ground before a big match!

Stacey

I absolutely loathe and despise the game of cricket.

Given the choice, I would prefer to sit and watch paint dry.

As for the ashes, scatter them over a rugby union ground before a big match!

What?! You can't say that!!!! Crikey!! SYO!!! ;) ;)

Ferret

Established Member
2005 was the greatest test series of my lifetime - I still can't believe that summer actually happened. One of my colleagues at the time (he's now a boss) told me all the omens were there and we were gonna win and I laughed at him. Then, the very next day, Aus were bowled out for 190 at Lords, and even though we were soon reduced to 21/5 I thought we had a chance whatever happened in the remainder of the 1st test.

This time round I was convinced we were doomed when we were staring defeat in the face at Cardiff on day 5. Then the Panesar/Anderson partnership made me believe and at the time I knew how big getting out of that match with a draw could be. Indeed, a certain LM driver's shattered eardrums bear testimony to that!!! Lo and behold at Lords we totally outplay Australia and won by a huge margin.

They look clueless when the ball swings and at Headingley I expect the ball to swing just as much as it did at Edgbaston in the Aus 1st innings. Weather permitting, I think Strauss will be celebrating by next Tuesday....

mrcheek

Established Member
2005 was the greatest test series of my lifetime - I still can't believe that summer actually happened. One of my colleagues at the time (he's now a boss) told me all the omens were there and we were gonna win and I laughed at him. Then, the very next day, Aus were bowled out for 190 at Lords, and even though we were soon reduced to 21/5 I thought we had a chance whatever happened in the remainder of the 1st test.

It is interesting how even though England lost heavily at Lords in 2005, the nature of their performance was such that it gave the fans hope that they could win the series.

This time I think too much is going to depend upon Flintoff's fitness. Imagine how disappointed the rest of the team will be if he isnt fit tomorrow. But then imagine how delighted they will be if he is.
His contribution as a player isnt what it was in 2005, but his mere presence is a boost to everyone else on the team.

Ferret

Established Member
England lost heavily at Lords because they dropped catches. The one Pietersen dropped off Michael Clarke changed the game, and it went downhill from there. If we'd been chasing 230 instead of 400 then we may have stood a chance!

As for Fred, well, I'm not sure it'll be such a blow if he doesn't play. At least Strauss will have 5 fit bowlers to turn to!!!

mrcheek

Established Member
As for Fred, well, I'm not sure it'll be such a blow if he doesn't play. At least Strauss will have 5 fit bowlers to turn to!!!

Actually, if Flintoff is ruled out he will be replaced by Trott, so they will only have 4 bowlers to choose from! (plus Collingwood or Bopara who dont really count as bowlers in test cricket).

Thats the trouble with all-rounders, they become irreplaceable. After Botham, England went with David Capel, Chris Lewis, Dermot Reeve, Craig White, and others who werent up to test standard, but could bat and bowl a bit. Then luckily they had Flintoff. Broad may be the next one, but he's not ready to replace Flintoff yet.

Ferret

Established Member
I disagree where Craig White was concerned. On the Pakistan tour we won 2-1 and in home tests against the West Indies he was absolute quality, regularly dismissing Lara and bowling at 90mph not to mention some excellent contributions with the bat. Alas he suffered with fitness issues (spot a pattern?!)...

I'm not sure Trott will play - if it's a green seaming track he will cos four bowlers will do the job but if it looks flat (as I suspect) then Harmy or Sidebottom will come in....

CCF23

We should still win despite losing Pietersen and Freddie for the 4th test.

Ferret

Established Member
A total shambles. 102 all out having won the toss and batted? Unbelievable.

Ferret

Established Member
Well, we can start by fighting like hell and setting them a nasty 190 to win this game when we bat again. Send a bit of a message to them at least.

Can't believe how abject the batting display was. And having seen how much help there was in the pitch, for Harmlesson to bowl a series of half-trackers just defied belief. What a mess...

furryfeet

has anderson picked up a hamstring injury ? would explain his poor bowling today.
if he has, who would you replace him with at the Oval ?

Who would you bring in to replace Bopara at the Oval ?

Ben

has anderson picked up a hamstring injury ? would explain his poor bowling today.

Oval? A bit soon to be talking about the 5th test?

mrcheek

Established Member

If Anderson is out injured, they should bring in Sidebottom. who should have played today instead of Harmison.

Bopara should be replaced by Owais Shah.

Ferret

Established Member
Yikes! Anybody but Shah!!! What I'd really like is an emergency call to Trescothick saying 'I know you've retired mate but can you just play a one off game?' Either way, Bopara needs to go. As for the bowling, where do you start?!

me123

Established Member
It's not going too well for England so far. OK, that's a slight understatement. They're losing (or as close to losing as you can be in cricket). Best England can hope for is rain by the looks of it.

But it is a funny old game, cricket. I don't want to jinx it, but let's just say I've seen matches turn before...

Status
Not open for further replies.