• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Beginning of the End of Sainsbury's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
I might try that next time, usually works well?
Yes very well. Scan your nectar to start and log on to the handset.
Where I am Asda and Waitrose have similar systems. Pack your bags as you shop. You get to the self scan checkout and scan the checkouts barcode and it uploads your shop in seconds and then you just pay. If it needs anything authorising a member of staff is normally pretty quick to attend in Sainsbury’s. Sainsbury’s typically have several staff covering self scan, whereas Asda has 1 doing the lot and is a bit slower to attend

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CrispyUK

I might try that next time, usually works well?
I’ve used Scan as you Shop for a few years in Tesco and like it, and have been using it in Sainsbury’s more recently. Our local store doesn’t have many handsets, but you can also use an app instead, and indeed they’ve been encouraging this since March so you are only handling your own device (although still have to touch their screen at the end when you finally checkout).

Some downsides with the app though, if the connection glitches slightly then it has a tendency to double/triple scan the last item, easy enough to remove it, as long as you notice! Since face coverings came in though, it’s a pain having to keep unlocking your phone with a passcode to scan items when you’re used to Face ID, which has made the app far less attractive for me.

One interesting observation, when I started using the system with Tesco, most of my first shops triggered check scans to make sure I was using it properly, and have had the odd check since. With Sainsbury’s I have never had a check scan.

I think Sainsburys will be fine. The deli counter thing is a cyclical fashion across all retailers, every 5 years it seems they rip them out then put them back, whether it be traditional deli, fish, pasta or pizza or curry.

How different now is Argos to Amazon, if they move in to the Sainsburys store they have ditched the high street rents and so are on a more level playing field to Amazon. They can ditch the duplication of ranges i.e. pans and kettles and TV's. and sell these in the Argos bit. Also Argos has the advantage you don't have to wait in for delivery men.
Not for much longer you will have to wait for the delivery van same as Amazon, The 'In Stores' have stockroom's a fraction of the size of many of the bigger stores so for the majority of items you will have to order it and pick it up later, yes you may be able to get it same day but your still gone to have to wait for the delivery van to deliver it to the store, the days of turning up at the store and just getting something there and then will be largely gone.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Not for much longer you will have to wait for the delivery van same as Amazon, The 'In Stores' have stockroom's a fraction of the size of many of the bigger stores so for the majority of items you will have to order it and pick it up later, yes you may be able to get it same day but your still gone to have to wait for the delivery van to deliver it to the store, the days of turning up at the store and just getting something there and then will be largely gone.

Which will make it pointless.

When I use argos, I do so precisely because I can go to the shop, buy something there and then and take it home. That's the whole point of it, otherwise it's no different to any other tedious on line wait fest.

alxndr

Established Member

You might have to wait for the delivery van but you won't have to wait in your house. Unless your parcel is being delivered by someone who gives a short time slot you end up stuck indoors all day listening for the door. If you're collecting it from a shop you can do whatever and go wherever you like, and pick it up once it's delivered and convenient.

higthomas

We use Sainsbury's as our main shop, but mostly because it's a two minute walk away.
Generally I'm pretty happy with it, gets about the right balance between having what I want (random ingredients from fancy cooks) but not being too expensive (I'd love to shop at Waitrose, but sadly even I can't justify it). Otherwise I've found Tesco fine, but don't touch Lildi with a bargepole, they just don't have anything I want.

On Argos, I'd never really gone there before, but have been really impressed having one in the Sainsbury's. Very useful being able to combine the two, never would have used it otherwise.

PeterC

Established Member
You might have to wait for the delivery van but you won't have to wait in your house. Unless your parcel is being delivered by someone who gives a short time slot you end up stuck indoors all day listening for the door. If you're collecting it from a shop you can do whatever and go wherever you like, and pick it up once it's delivered and convenient.
I generally prefer click and collect unless I have a timed delivery. No big deal at the moment as I am generally at home unless exercising but I have had plenty of mail order stuff turn up without any notification that it is out for delivery.

jon0844

Veteran Member
One interesting observation, when I started using the system with Tesco, most of my first shops triggered check scans to make sure I was using it properly, and have had the odd check since. With Sainsbury’s I have never had a check scan.

You are very lucky. Usually you're down to get 2 or 3 'random' checks within the first nn shops.

[Argos] Not for much longer you will have to wait for the delivery van same as Amazon, The 'In Stores' have stockroom's a fraction of the size of many of the bigger stores so for the majority of items you will have to order it and pick it up later, yes you may be able to get it same day but your still gone to have to wait for the delivery van to deliver it to the store, the days of turning up at the store and just getting something there and then will be largely gone.

Argos home delivery, at £3.99, is very convenient. It can be same day if you order before midday, which makes it even better (or worse, for those who act on impulse).

You get a delivery window and they cannot deliver early (so you can go out and be assured they won't miss you) as they can't scan the item as delivered until the delivery window has started. As such, especially during lockdown, that would be well worth the premium IMO.

My only concern is that I could be delivered something that is used, as is common at Argos, when someone has returned an item and they simply rebox it (often very poorly, with creased manuals, torn bags etc). At least in store you can reject immediately.

Amazon and the like generally re-sell returned goods as used, but staff are under strict instructions to repack items for resale and sell them to be 'new'. If that wasn't the case, I'd likely buy a lot more from Argos.

Even the item I returned that was used/returned was repackaged and put back in stock for resale. Electrical items are meant to be checked, but aren't, and when I asked about Covid I was told they are meant to quarantine the items. Where? My item went back on the shelf.

Stuff like this will be a reason Sainsbury's suffers, as I'm sure more people wouldn't buy from Argos if they knew that this goes on (and has done for decades, partially due to the very generous returns policy).

You are very lucky. Usually you're down to get 2 or 3 'random' checks within the first nn shops.

Argos home delivery, at £3.99, is very convenient. It can be same day if you order before midday, which makes it even better (or worse, for those who act on impulse).

You get a delivery window and they cannot deliver early (so you can go out and be assured they won't miss you) as they can't scan the item as delivered until the delivery window has started. As such, especially during lockdown, that would be well worth the premium IMO.

My only concern is that I could be delivered something that is used, as is common at Argos, when someone has returned an item and they simply rebox it (often very poorly, with creased manuals, torn bags etc). At least in store you can reject immediately.

Amazon and the like generally re-sell returned goods as used, but staff are under strict instructions to repack items for resale and sell them to be 'new'. If that wasn't the case, I'd likely buy a lot more from Argos.

Even the item I returned that was used/returned was repackaged and put back in stock for resale. Electrical items are meant to be checked, but aren't, and when I asked about Covid I was told they are meant to quarantine the items. Where? My item went back on the shelf.

Stuff like this will be a reason Sainsbury's suffers, as I'm sure more people wouldn't buy from Argos if they knew that this goes on (and has done for decades, partially due to the very generous returns policy).
In actual fact not all returned items are sold as new, some are not fit at least not in my store, and some opened items haven't been used but simply viewed by the customer in store although that was generally stopped with covid, I agree some returned items are not properly checked and repacked and it is an issue and I can see why it puts some people off, I personally think they need to change the returns policy but on the other hand it may alienate more than they loose the other way.

jon0844

Veteran Member
In actual fact not all returned items are sold as new, some are not fit at least not in my store, and some opened items haven't been used but simply viewed by the customer in store although that was generally stopped with covid, I agree some returned items are not properly checked and repacked and it is an issue and I can see why it puts some people off, I personally think they need to change the returns policy but on the other hand it may alienate more than they loose the other way.

I do not think it right that a mains powered item is checked over by staff in an Argos inside Sainsbury's and they decide it is okay to be re-sold. IF they sent every single item away to be properly checked, tested and reboxed (with new manuals and packaging, like a white or brown box) then fine - especially if the product is given a slight discount. Obviously something returned shouldn't be binned if it works, but there's no way to determine whether something was returned simply because someone didn't like it, or because they broke it.

Years ago, I bought a vacuum cleaner from Makro that caught fire instantly when turned on (something arced inside and a load of fluff ignited). Fortunately the fire burned itself out, but it turned out to be quite well used and this was the first time I realised such practices occurred. Once bitten (or burned), twice shy.

I expected Argos to apologise for me being sold something used, but I was told in no uncertain terms that they can re-sell returned items as new and the member of staff talked to me like I was a POS (and also took my mobile from me to get information before agreeing to give a refund - despite me saying that with Covid, I was perfectly able to read the necessary information to him myself).

If there's a different process, it's clearly not being adhered to. Maybe local managers work to different (unofficial) rules but it matters not to the consumer.

Anyway, I've said my piece. There are many other examples online of people having the same issue, and if Sainsbury's doesn't address this somehow then I am sure it will cost them.

Oh, one more thing; Another thing that caught me out (again, never again) is buying something from the toy aisle two aisles away from the in-store Argos and discovering it was almost £10 cheaper from Argos. Yes, Sainsbury's and Argos pricing isn't matched. That's fine if they really do want to operate separately, but people need to be aware that this really is a thing when you're in the exact same building and possibly a matter of metres away from the identical item. Again, Sainsbury's has a standard text to quote to anyone that complains.

najaB

Veteran Member
Years ago, I bought a vacuum cleaner from Makro that caught fire instantly when turned on (something arced inside and a load of fluff ignited). Fortunately the fire burned itself out, but it turned out to be quite well used and this was the first time I realised such practices occurred. Once bitten (or burned), twice shy.

I expected Argos to apologise for me being sold something used, but I was told in no uncertain terms that they can re-sell returned items as new and the member of staff talked to me like I was a POS (and also took my mobile from me to get information before agreeing to give a refund - despite me saying that with Covid, I was perfectly able to read the necessary information to him myself).
While I get the point you're making, the two bolded parts of your post don't match up...

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I spoke to my mum's neighbour on Tuesday night when I walked passed him as he returned home from work - he is an Assistant Store Manager for Sainsburys. I asked him the question about the redundancies highlighted in the press.

He has stated its business as usual for Sainsburys but Argos is going to take a hit. He said all the independant Argos stores will go and the Argos name will only remain as an internal 'click & collect' outlet inside Sainsburys stores.

He did say much of the decision has been made on cutting overheads on renting premises and floor space for the independent Argos stores, but sadly many jobs will go in the process.

He did say there are efforts being made to 'redeploy' Argos staff within Sainsburys but its only scratching the surface to avoid the redundancies.

CJ

jfisher21

Mike Coupe, who led Sainsburys’ takeover of Argos, is now in charge of Track and Trace. (Insert you own joke here.)

EDIT: He is only in charge of the Test part. (There are so many jobs for the boys and girls that you lose track of things, just like them.)

Well Mike is still in the money then!

I spoke to my mum's neighbour on Tuesday night when I walked passed him as he returned home from work - he is an Assistant Store Manager for Sainsburys. I asked him the question about the redundancies highlighted in the press.

He has stated its business as usual for Sainsburys but Argos is going to take a hit. He said all the independant Argos stores will go and the Argos name will only remain as an internal 'click & collect' outlet inside Sainsburys stores.

He did say much of the decision has been made on cutting overheads on renting premises and floor space for the independent Argos stores, but sadly many jobs will go in the process.

He did say there are efforts being made to 'redeploy' Argos staff within Sainsburys but its only scratching the surface to avoid the redundancies.

CJ
As an Argos employee I would say some of that is a bit wide of the mark. While many Argos stand alone stores will close the intention is to retain around 100 independent stores approx 20%, and there will be 125 new Inside Sainsburys Stores along with additional click and collect points.

There will be significant investment in 32 new Warehouse centres to service Argos Home Delivery and Click and Collect, these will replace the Argos Hub Stores but not for 2 to 3 years.

Sainsbury's are giving strong commitment to redeployment, the redundancies quoted are jobs potentially at risk, but Sainsburys expect to be able to redeploy most of the staff, obviously there will be some staff that will prefer redundancy, and as some of these closures are up to 3 years away, some staff will leave before then anyway.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
If people leave before, that's all well and good but doesn't it put a lot of pressure on remaining staff? Would Argos hire in agency staff on a temporary basis until the stores close, or just make do with the remaining staff until the last day?

I ask this because Tesco was quite clever in not announcing job cuts brought on by the self checkouts and 'scan and go' type terminals.. they just let people go and never filled the vacancies. End result: No job cuts for the media to report on, but the other staff have to cover more machines and the customer has to wait longer for a random scan/age check or any other issue.

If people leave before, that's all well and good but doesn't it put a lot of pressure on remaining staff? Would Argos hire in agency staff on a temporary basis until the stores close, or just make do with the remaining staff until the last day?

I ask this because Tesco was quite clever in not announcing job cuts brought on by the self checkouts and 'scan and go' type terminals.. they just let people go and never filled the vacancies. End result: No job cuts for the media to report on, but the other staff have to cover more machines and the customer has to wait longer for a random scan/age check or any other issue.
They will likely hire in staff on a temporary basis as needed they do that at peak times such as the run up to Christmas anyway, my hub store which is unlikely to close for some time has already taken a few staff from 2 of the stores which closed last week, there is significant turn over of Sainsburys and Argos staff anyway, and while intention is to streamline the operation there also the intention to expand the Home Delivery and click and collect side by making it more price competitive.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
We were in Stockport yesterday for hospital appointments and had a walk around the Merseyway town centre and the surrounding areas as it was a nice day. The Sainsbury's store that is opposite the much larger Asda store is said to be closed at the end of January 2021.

317 forever

Established Member
We were in Stockport yesterday for hospital appointments and had a walk around the Merseyway town centre and the surrounding areas as it was a nice day. The Sainsbury's store that is opposite the much larger Asda store is said to be closed at the end of January 2021.
That's quite a shock. There were plans a few years ago to move in to a larger site just down the road. Admittedly other Sainsburys comparatively nearby such as Hazel Grove and Fallowfield are larger.

EDIT: Today Friday, both Hazel Grove and Stockport Sainsbury's had sliced all their multi-seed loaves. The slices will inevitably dry more quickly than the loaves would have done unsliced. I hope this is temporary during the lockdown, as happened earlier in the year, rather than a change for the worse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.