• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The future for Chiltern's Class 121 "bubble car" units?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Cat

I'm sorry, I know people have mentioned the 20th but when it the last day the Class 121 is in service?

From different sources I've heard:
Monday 15th
Tuesday 16th
Thursday 18th
Friday 19th

And some people on here (read a few replies above) said Saturday 20th, what makes no sense as no services run on the 20th unless I'm mistaken

(Edit, sorry I mistook /It's a shame they won't have a proper last day on the 20th May not all of us can afford the peak time fair I hope they release that!/ as 20th was last day)

---------

Either way I'm hoping I'll be able to get to leave early from work one day this week and one next week to say good bye to this lovely unit. Hopefully they get the second fixed in time :wub:

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MatthewRead

On Moderation
I'm sorry, I know people have mentioned the 20th but when it the last day the Class 121 is in service?

From different sources I've heard:
Monday 15th
Tuesday 16th
Thursday 18th
Friday 19th

And some people on here (read a few replies above) said Saturday 20th, what makes no sense as no services run on the 20th unless I'm mistaken

(Edit, sorry I mistook /It's a shame they won't have a proper last day on the 20th May not all of us can afford the peak time fair I hope they release that!/ as 20th was last day)

---------

Either way I'm hoping I'll be able to get to leave early from work one day this week and one next week to say good bye to this lovely unit. Hopefully they get the second fixed in time :wub:
Friday 19th May!

sammyg901

Not surprised the 1806 is quiet. There is a direct service from London running 20mins ahead which would carry passengers form High Wycombe (there isn't a later service that connects to the shuttle). When I was commuting High Wycombe - Aylesbury this was the bulk of the source of passengers for the shuttle

The only source now is local traffic or connections from an Oxford service

Sad to see it go - was a fun little ride and the looks on irregular passengers faces was priceless :lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Thanks for the reply. On your advice I decided to try the evening, aiming for the 18:06 PRR to AYS with a fallback plan of waiting around for a later trip if that was too busy. Having boarded with plenty of time to spare, I got a seat on the 18:06 last night just fine although by the time it pulled out it most seats had been taken by fellow enthusiasts. I also did the 0849 AYS to PRR (this morning) and there were only a few of us on board. All in all a very successful trip. With very few 'normals' on board, I wonder ig the number of carriages is likely to equal the number of passengers on occassion when the 121s have gone.

On Friday gone? I was on board that trip as i decided to forgo my pay day pint and go for a trundle instead. I am not sure what the real passengers made of all the spotters.

A lovely anachronism is the way I would describe that service!

It's a shame they won't have a proper last day on the 20th May not all of us can afford the peak time fair I hope they release that!

I don't think an Aylesbury - PR return is vastly expensive.

I'm not sure they're too fussed to be honest mate

What is in it for them? Old train that runs along a quiet branch line and is a PITA to crew, maintain and run is removed form service. Real passengers nonplussed.

Last edited:

deepcar

In connection with the final day of public service, Chiltern Railways are pleased to announce the following additional trains are planned to operate between Princes Risborough and Aylesbury, using one of the Class 121 single car DMUs. Please note these trains are subject to short-notice cancellation or alteration in the event of disruption or late running of other services on the day.

2Z92 12.50 Princes Risborough - Aylesbury (arr 13.04)

2Z93 13.19 Aylesbury - Princes Risborough (arr 13.33)

2Z94 13.50 Princes Risborough - Aylesbury (arr 14.04)

2Z95 14.19 Aylesbury - Princes Risborough (arr 14.33)

2Z96 14.50 Princes Risborough - Aylesbury (arr 15.04)

Normal tickets will be valid on these services; these trains will not call at either Monks Risborough or Little Kimble.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
On Friday gone? I was on board that trip as i decided to forgo my pay day pint and go for a trundle instead. I am not sure what the real passengers made of all the spotters.
I was on the 18:06 on Thursday (4th of May) and the morning train on Friday (5th of May).

GW43125

Established Member
Not surprised the 1806 is quiet. There is a direct service from London running 20mins ahead which would carry passengers form High Wycombe (there isn't a later service that connects to the shuttle). When I was commuting High Wycombe - Aylesbury this was the bulk of the source of passengers for the shuttle

The only source now is local traffic or connections from an Oxford service

Sad to see it go - was a fun little ride and the looks on irregular passengers faces was priceless :lol:

Friday just gone there were a fair few (read: most of the train) cranks on the 1806 and return. After it had gone round once, came the 1930. I think it's safe to say the "normals" couldn't wait to get off.

RPM

Established Member
Friday just gone there were a fair few (read: most of the train) cranks on the 1806 and return. After it had gone round once, came the 1930. I think it's safe to say the "normals" couldn't wait to get off.

I think the "normals" are finding it rather bewildering, but it's nice to see so many folk turning up to ride the bubble car. We've tried to enter into the spirit as far as possible by running with the front end view blinds up and putting a variety of silly destinations on the front ;)

causton

Established Member
I think the "normals" are finding it rather bewildering, but it's nice to see so many folk turning up to ride the bubble car. We've tried to enter into the spirit as far as possible by running with the front end view blinds up and putting a variety of silly destinations on the front ;)

I don't think I've ever seen them with the proper destinations :lol:

Must be said though, the staff I have seen are very accommodating, such as leaving the blinds up and other things that have let both enthusiasts and 'normals' alike enjoy the last days of them!

noddy1878

Established Member
I was on the 1700 and then return on the 5th. Glad I managed to get it in before it was withdrawn.

bluegoblin7

Established Member

I did one and a half round trips from the Risborough end on Friday just gone... just want to record my thanks here to the staff who were so very accommodating. Very enjoyable! :lol:;)

GW43125

Established Member

Pwllheli... Llangollen... all of those. Driver was chatty and had the blinds up, guard was too. Everyone was in good spirits and it was an enjoyable evening.

For any cranks, normals or crew on the 18:06 and subsequent workings this Friday who may be reading this, my apologies if the group of us got on your nerves.

On a technical note, I notice there are no egress handles. It just says to pull the chain, wait for the train to stop then open the door. Is this reliant on the driver giving a release?

Last edited:

I think the chain is connected to the egress, i.e. pulling it releases the doors.

The communication cord is directly connected to the brake pipe, in common with slam door carriages.

There is an extra CDL relay fitted to the 121 units, which is triggered/reset when the communication cord is activated/reset.

RPM

Established Member
[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/rpmarks/34399948122/in/dateposted*********[/url]

Here we are, if the picture works.

GW43125

Established Member
For the uneducated of us, could you please give a brief idea of what's going on? I can get as far as the chain pulls the handle up to destroy the vacuum, is the blue thing to do with the CDL? (I've grown up with power doors)

BestWestern

Established Member
For the uneducated of us, could you please give a brief idea of what's going on? I can get as far as the chain pulls the handle up to destroy the vacuum, is the blue thing to do with the CDL? (I've grown up with power doors)

I would hazard a guess that the blue thing is the 'CDL relay' mentioned earlier. It looks a rather basic system, I would presume that the small metal lever operates a switch that disengages the CDL. It may be on a timer in order that the train slows to below a certain speed first, or there may be a more complex system involving speed detection. Just a guess though!

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member

A guess: The red chain is attached to the red lever and the lever to the red cylinder. I assume that cyclinder to be the emergency brake. There is a linkage (silver) between the red lever and chain and the blue box. I assume this blue box to be the door locks. Pulling the chain pulls the lever and activates the emergency brakes and also breaks the circuit for the door locks. Maybe.

that our fairies. I go with fairies tbh.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Not everyone lives in Aylesbury or Princes Risborough.

it is £24.50 for a return form Brum to Princes Risborough a week today. That is without a gold card discount. That isnt outrageous although obviously difficult if money is tight. I am sure the fares experts here could save you money on the trip.

it cost be nearly that from MK to Bicester ( by bus) and then Bicester to PR by train!

tsr

Established Member
Does anyone know if the Bubble is behaving itself today / for this evening? Sorry to pester but today, as it happens, this forum is probably the best place for me to find out!

Asking for a friend - maybe imaginary ;)

not fairies then? shame ;)

Can point to plenty of other functional fairies operating on the national network. And gremlins.

causton

Established Member
When I was on the bubble car at the end of last month, and the one on the Quainton Road shuttle on the Bank Holiday, everyone was saying the blue one was no longer operational and was not going to be repaired before the end of the service, unfortunately.

tsr

Established Member
When I was on the bubble car at the end of last month, and the one on the Quainton Road shuttle on the Bank Holiday, everyone was saying the blue one was no longer operational and was not going to be repaired before the end of the service, unfortunately.

Yep, that was the gist I got up-thread. In which case I shall have to direct my question to anyone who can supply info about the green one! :)

BestWestern

Established Member
Have these beasties found homes yet? If they're coming out of service with TPWS, OTMR, GSMR & CDL all intact, I'd imagine they might be popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.