• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The GTR talent pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallicio

So people who have already had a medical should be top of the pile ?

Still no dates planned for Bedford though is a bit toilet

Well... Should be you would of thought. Yeah still nothing for the Bedford boys ??????

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

465fan

Well I'm not sure where I stand. Although, to be fair, if they want to put people into a Hornsey Pool then I suspect they're more likely to do your "Metro" work whilst the King's Cross guys have a chance of doing King's Lynn (new route knowledge) and whatever else further afield. I don't mind waiting for KGX in that respect!

dr1323

I am happy to wait I would be even happier with a potential or even an official start date

465fan

Hi Guys,

Just a note to say I've still not heard back on a 29th Feb / 7th Mar / 21st Mar start date.

Spud

I emailed Trudy about a couple of things, and asked about Three Bridges. All she could tell me was that there will be dates later on in the year. Couldn't give me an indication when, so life will remain on hold!

What's the general view then? Do we all still think there are going to be further courses or is all this talent pool talk a smoke screen?

Amex88

Who knows. I've emailed them twice and have not got a response at all. I just hope we hear something. It's just really getting out of order.

steviebuk

Keith Richmond, of the train drivers' union Aslef, argues services are unlikely to improve soon. "The truth is that none of the 23 train operators have enough drivers," he says. "It takes a year to train a train driver and it's quite expensive. They don't want to train drivers. What they do is pay a driver a little bit more and get a driver from another company or they simply offer overtime.

"None of the companies have enough drivers to deliver on their franchise promises," Richmond adds. "There's no fat on the bones. In other sectors, like manufacturing and retail, they recognise that. The train operators are badly run and they don't deliver on their promises, only their obligations to the shareholders, rather than the customers."

Staff often use a car to get to work, meaning they can get stuck in traffic or bad weather too.

This could explain why people are being turned down for courses due to the distance they travel to work!

Interesting quote from the union, personally I think Govia are playing the political game trying to convince the DFT they are doing enough to provide a service. if you are held in a pool I cant help but think you are purely being a scape goat for Govia:roll:

Last edited:

Dave999

The facts are they have a lot of Drivers in training and once they are through more will get on a course. Their targets all aim for 2018 and that's what I'm sure they are working to.

The facts are they have a lot of Drivers in training and once they are through more will get on a course. Their targets all aim for 2018 and that's what I'm sure they are working to.

Where have you got these facts from mate? I'm only asking as I've not heard any such facts....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Interesting quote from the union, personally I think Govia are playing the political game trying to convince the DFT they are doing enough to provide a service. if you are held in a pool I cant help but think you are purely being a scape goat for Govia:roll:[/QUOTE]

It's certainly starting to feel that way!

traintraining

Where have you got these facts from mate? I'm only asking as I've not heard any such facts....
Interesting quote from the union, personally I think Govia are playing the political game trying to convince the DFT they are doing enough to provide a service. if you are held in a pool I cant help but think you are purely being a scape goat for Govia:roll:

Pretty scary stuff its a messed up corporate world out there

But... If they do stuff like that though think about the potential lawsuits which could arise plus they risk not getting further franchises in the future

Let alone the bad press im sure people would go to Daily Mail etc and tell them how Govia wasted 12 months of their life

Hopefullllly al this above will never happen... New services will surely mean more drivers, we already seeen the proof of new trains coming into service they will need people to drive them at the end of the day

Last edited:

Dave999

Mostly from the interview I had in December, 106 drivers in training and the research I did before my interview showed many plans to improve their delivery by 2018.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Staff often use a car to get to work, meaning they can get stuck in traffic or bad weather too.

This could explain why people are being turned down for courses due to the distance they travel to work!

There are other, more important, factors to consider.

Tenthghost

The reality is if you use a bit of common sense is that it's drawing close towards the end of the bussiness year. Most companies will now be planning how to spend resource for the new year ahead. Just gotta hold on that little bit more.

RedZed

Let alone the bad press im sure people would go to Daily Mail etc and tell them how Govia wasted 12 months of their life

This is the funniest thing I have read all evening. Govia don't owe you jack. Just cos they asked you to jump through a few hoops doesn't mean there is a reward at the end of it. What you do in the 12, 24 or however many months is entirely up to you. If you wasted 12 months of your life sitting by a phone willing it to ring that is your problem - not Govia's.
The job's not yours until you have the contract in your hands.

steviebuk

This is the funniest thing I have read all evening. Govia don't owe you jack. Just cos they asked you to jump through a few hoops doesn't mean there is a reward at the end of it. What you do in the 12, 24 or however many months is entirely up to you. If you wasted 12 months of your life sitting by a phone willing it to ring that is your problem - not Govia's.

Its only when you get a un-conditional offer your employment rights kick in.

traintraining

:roll:

It was meant tongue in cheek.

I would however feel highly misled if this didnt materialise as would many others

dr1323

As far as I'm concerned if a position becomes available I will be ready to go weather that's in 1 month or another 2 years
Whether

WDS2015

What's the general view then? Do we all still think there are going to be further courses or is all this talent pool talk a smoke screen?

It's certainly starting to feel that way![/QUOTE]

If you look right back through this thread you will see they took quite a few people who were on this forum . 16 taken for Bedford in November and a number for three bridges. Before that there was an intake for kx

Status
Not open for further replies.