• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The GTR talent pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallicio

I would be interested to know the thameslink side of the rough breakdown of the classroom how many Bedford and so on

Cant see there being one.

Bedford is the start of Thameslink route to London/Brighton. The need for drivers will be greater at the start of the route. I would think if there is a course in Bedford it will be for Bedford based drivers. I cant imagine there will be London based drivers being trained in Bedford.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dr1323

Cant see there being one.

Bedford is the start of Thameslink route to London/Brighton. The need for drivers will be greater at the start of the route. I would think if there is a course in Bedford it will be for Bedford based drivers. I cant imagine there will be London based drivers being trained in Bedford.

So they are just training bedford drivers so they have taken on 16 places for Bedford this month then?

Wallicio

I don't know dr1323.
I cant see there being a breakdown of the Bedford course through personnel if that was what you were getting at. As in if there is a Bedford course it will be solely for the drivers who will be based in Bedford after training.

dr1323

I think they only had 1 course this month for bedford, wasnt it one course for Bedford and the other Kings Cross?

Didn't the guys who applied for Bedford get offered two start dates 23rd and 30th November. I'm only interested to know if the class was being based in London with 4 people from Bedford and say 4 from Brighton

Wallicio

Didn't the guys who applied for Bedford get offered two start dates 23rd and 30th November. I'm only interested to know if the class was being based in London with 4 people from Bedford and say 4 from Brighton

Yes they were offered 23/30.
I got the impression the courses were in Bedford?

Matt K

Yes they were offered 23/30.
I got the impression the courses were in Bedford?

Bedford drivers are trained in Bedford, also we have a lady who is going to work out of Blackfriars on our course. Kings Cross being Great Nothern are trained in London, Hornsy I think.

Just finished 3 day induction sadly best I could do on HR number was that they have kept all their old numbers after the move and they are very busy. Sorry couldn't be more help there. The staff I spoke to couldn't say when next courses were but that they are defo coming as still short of target of recruited drivers.

First day with trainer today at Bedford 9am start, if I get anymore info I will let you know

El-Alamein

Bedford drivers are trained in Bedford, also we have a lady who is going to work out of Blackfriars on our course. Kings Cross being Great Nothern are trained in London, Hornsy I think.

Just finished 3 day induction sadly best I could do on HR number was that they have kept all their old numbers after the move and they are very busy. Sorry couldn't be more help there. The staff I spoke to couldn't say when next courses were but that they are defo coming as still short of target of recruited drivers.

First day with trainer today at Bedford 9am start, if I get anymore info I will let you know

Matt we aprreciate you doing this and wish you luck this morning....

Last edited:

traintraining

Hmm if theres courses as early as January / February then some of us should start hearing soon hopefully.

Andrewb73

Pleased to say I'd like to add my name to the pool.
Got my email last week saying all successful after the medical and my assessments in September.
I asked in the interview how many positions were being filled for the Three Bridges depot.
Was told that there was 100 positions, with 25 being filled by drivers transferring from Brighton / Hove
May be a bit of a wait for courses if it's 8-12 people per class.

387star

On Moderation
Pleased to say I'd like to add my name to the pool.
Got my email last week saying all successful after the medical and my assessments in September.
I asked in the interview how many positions were being filled for the Three Bridges depot.
Was told that there was 100 positions, with 25 being filled by drivers transferring from Brighton / Hove
May be a bit of a wait for courses if it's 8-12 people per class.

That's a lot of trainee posts for one depot

I was under the impression a large chunk would be filled by qualifieds not just from Brighton but Blackfriars as well as both are said to be downsizing with the latter likely closing to provide the core timetable

Didn't know thameslink had a hove depot or do you mean as in the city of Brighton and Hove? think some 442s are dumped at hove overnight or at least were when I covered nights there in 2012

I guess bridges drivers may sign east grinstead, horsham, littlehampton and even towards peterborough and cambridge on top of bedford to brighton and wimbledon loop plus sevenoaks (?)

Last edited:

Class2ldn

Word is drivers based south of the river won't go any further north then Finsbury park where gn drivers will take over.
A few will be from Blackfriars and brighton but they obviously haven't got enough as they wouldn't be recruiting trainees otherwise.
At the moment brighton don't sign sevenoaks so not sure if bridges will either.

Last edited:

Wallicio

Another Monday ...
Another week closer to getting the call ...
Happy Monday everyone ??????

Wallicio

I dunno, everything is third hand on here anyway.

Just nice to see a positive post now and again ??????

Amex88

Just got an email stating that they will be in contact once they have the date. They said once we have a detonate vacancy they will be in certain contact to progress me.

Least its in writing via email format. She said there is a big recruitment going on for 2016!

So here's to hoping we hear something soon.

Pepperami

Just thought I would chip in my two pennith worth :)

Yes you are correct Wallicio Bedford is the start of the Thameslink services to Brighton, unless your from Brighton and we say we start there and go to Bedford :)

Bedford Main Depot, it is where Bedford Control are situated, when I book on at Brighton, Bedford is the Control centre I book on to

Regarding training, Bedford depot for Bedford drivers? LOL no, far from it

I travelled up to Bedford for a lot of the time every day from the south coast along with 6 other trainees, all from the South Coast, it is where the main training facilities are, so be prepared for some long arse days!!! There were some days at Blackfriars, but you are training to be drivers working AC as well as DC, so as well as doing your PTS for DC and putting down a shorting bar on the Third Rail, you will also be doing PTS in AC as well, no facilities for that in Brighton, and Blackfriars is in the core, so I would suspect unless you can do it at Cricklewood then you will be doing it at Bedford.

You will also I am afraid possibly be waiting a while yet, there are lots of recruitments taking place, but you have to appreciate that out of a depot of say 100 drivers, (this is an example not actual figures) then only 10 of them might be Trainer Drivers, and each one is allocated a new recruit for the Route learning which on average takes what 6 months? 4-5 if your really good (its not just the route you learn lol be prepared for no family time, and studying route maps and going out in your spare time)

So, 6 months, and all the trainers taken up with recruits.... then they have a rest period away from training... believe it or not, some of them like to drive there own trains occasionally and not have a trainee with them all the time :D

Brighton has just got the next set of people front ended at the moment this can be done with any driver but were another 3-4 months away yet before we finish, sometimes it can take an individual longer, then the next set already front Ending will start with the Trainers... and there is another intake at the moment I believe just starting PTS so thats another group going in, and they haven't got at this moment in time enough trainers for all the trainee drivers.

Sorry to say but you will be told as and when a place becomes available, and they do this because if they told you now.... in 3 months time I could read posts on here saying BLOODY TOC promised me a job and I am still waiting... that isnt really a professional way of doing things

I feel your frustration guys, I went through the same thing, I was ringing up once every 4 weeks, and eventually I got a start date, but its a long process, there are people on my training group that waited 2 years after passing the tests and final interview to get onto the actual start of the training, but they will tell you the same as I will, if you really want the job, and considering what you had to go through just to get to the stage your at now, its worth the wait ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Word is drivers based south of the river won't go any further north then Finsbury park where gn drivers will take over.
A few will be from Blackfriars and brighton but they obviously haven't got enough as they wouldn't be recruiting trainees otherwise.
At the moment brighton don't sign sevenoaks so not sure if bridges will either.

Brighton do London Bridge, Bedford, and the Sutton loop, plus the diversion routes as well and this isnt changing any time soon, Three Bridges Drivers will I think do the same, Southern do Horsham routes we don't sign them

Last edited:

Dottypea

Cheers for that info Pepperami, helps getting the low down from someone 'inside'

Class2ldn

Just thought I would chip in my two pennith worth :)

Yes you are correct Wallicio Bedford is the start of the Thameslink services to Brighton, unless your from Brighton and we say we start there and go to Bedford :)

Bedford Main Depot, it is where Bedford Control are situated, when I book on at Brighton, Bedford is the Control centre I book on to

Regarding training, Bedford depot for Bedford drivers? LOL no, far from it

I travelled up to Bedford for a lot of the time every day from the south coast along with 6 other trainees, all from the South Coast, it is where the main training facilities are, so be prepared for some long arse days!!! There were some days at Blackfriars, but you are training to be drivers working AC as well as DC, so as well as doing your PTS for DC and putting down a shorting bar on the Third Rail, you will also be doing PTS in AC as well, no facilities for that in Brighton, and Blackfriars is in the core, so I would suspect unless you can do it at Cricklewood then you will be doing it at Bedford.

You will also I am afraid possibly be waiting a while yet, there are lots of recruitments taking place, but you have to appreciate that out of a depot of say 100 drivers, (this is an example not actual figures) then only 10 of them might be Trainer Drivers, and each one is allocated a new recruit for the Route learning which on average takes what 6 months? 4-5 if your really good (its not just the route you learn lol be prepared for no family time, and studying route maps and going out in your spare time)

So, 6 months, and all the trainers taken up with recruits.... then they have a rest period away from training... believe it or not, some of them like to drive there own trains occasionally and not have a trainee with them all the time :D

Brighton has just got the next set of people front ended at the moment this can be done with any driver but were another 3-4 months away yet before we finish, sometimes it can take an individual longer, then the next set already front Ending will start with the Trainers... and there is another intake at the moment I believe just starting PTS so thats another group going in, and they haven't got at this moment in time enough trainers for all the trainee drivers.

Sorry to say but you will be told as and when a place becomes available, and they do this because if they told you now.... in 3 months time I could read posts on here saying BLOODY TOC promised me a job and I am still waiting... that isnt really a professional way of doing things

I feel your frustration guys, I went through the same thing, I was ringing up once every 4 weeks, and eventually I got a start date, but its a long process, there are people on my training group that waited 2 years after passing the tests and final interview to get onto the actual start of the training, but they will tell you the same as I will, if you really want the job, and considering what you had to go through just to get to the stage your at now, its worth the wait ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Brighton do London Bridge, Bedford, and the Sutton loop, plus the diversion routes as well and this isnt changing any time soon, Three Bridges Drivers will I think do the same, Southern do Horsham routes we don't sign them

I'm a driver at blackfriars and the word is we won't be going further then Finsbury when the tunnels open but that's just rumour. I wish we didn't sign sevenoaks gets a bit slippery down there lol

Dave999

Had the Managers interview this week, found out that if successful I will be placed in the talent pool, they confirmed that once in I will get a job but could be up to 12 months. Also they pull people from the talent pool by preference first so it depends on who they think is most suitable for the role first then work their way down.

Wallicio

Had the Managers interview this week, found out that if successful I will be placed in the talent pool, they confirmed that once in I will get a job but could be up to 12 months. Also they pull people from the talent pool by preference first so it depends on who they think is most suitable for the role first then work their way down.

Good luck on the interview result Dave, lets hope you join the rest of us in the pool!

Pulling from the pool the most suitable candidates first sounds logical, and up to 12 months sounds about right from what has been said already.
Some good positive posts on this thread recently.
Good to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.