• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The GTR talent pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedZed

Well, based upon what's been said on this thread, I guess the reality for me is that I'm out.
Taken from the job advert:
About the Job
We are delighted to announce that opportunities have arisen for a number of Trainee Train Drivers to join our depot at Bedford.
This is the start of an exciting journey towards becoming a qualified Train Driver, beginning as a Trainee where you will spend up to 14 months learning the rules, gaining the knowledge and, of course, driving our trains.

I distinctly remember applying for an advertised vacancy at Bedford. If I'm not up to scratch then be big enough to tell me. Don't feed me this 'talent pool' bollox. I suppose if the advert had said "apply for a job that may or may not exist, and we may or may not call you" then there would be far fewer applicants. I certainly haven't been feeling the 'excitement' that was mentioned in the advert if this is indeed the start of my 'journey'.

Ditto what Gordo said.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Maybe somebody can correct me, unless I missed it the words "Talent Pool" we're never mentioned in the job application/advert back in February 2015 which I applied for.

What did you apply for ? Did you apply for a Driver position due to start in X or just apply for "future" vaccancies ? Was you specifically told that you were successfull in your application and that a you have been given a position at a depot ?

I thought I was applying for a job, and when I passed everything I assumed I'd be offered a job and start. Straight forward and simple. Didn't think for one minute I'd be left in the dark for 16 months. Only planning things 4 weeks in advance in case I get a call.

I think the problem is that nothing was made clear to applicants and that there has been a huge assumption that jobs are guaranteed or even currently available. Somewhere along the line people were simply put through the assessment process purely because it was easier to assess then pull from a talent pool.

People say they owe you nothing but after waiting this long we deserve at least proper explanation. A job is a major part of people's lives and if this ones not going to work out that's 16months lost where I could have been looking elsewhere. LM for example. A chanced missed there.

Many people have multiple applications going at once and will wait till the last minute to pull their application from one TOC over another. They also act like they owe nothing to the TOCs and never realise that it affects others in the application queue. People have also applied purely to get a registered pass into the system. Again those applicants are affecting others.

You are a number in a broken system, nothing more. The morals of keeping you waiting without explanation is poor show but they really do not owe you anything. Many many job applications are like this and you never get a reply. The railway is no different.

Dave999

Hitchin has a course starting in August. Also I agree, I was told I will be offered a job and I'm just waiting for a start date, no mention of a pool.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Well, based upon what's been said on this thread, I guess the reality for me is that I'm out.
'.

Its a **** journey but your on the path. Don't lose hope. Just try to understand that the business is changing and may affect applicants.

Bucko

Hitchin has a course starting in August. Also I agree, I was told I will be offered a job and I'm just waiting for a start date, no mention of a pool.

I commented several times throughout this thread, going back months, that the words 'Talent Pool' were never said to me or written to me
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Don't lose hope. .

That's already long gone mate

Don't hear anything from Govia. Come on here and get nothing but bad news from posters who are in the know.

I've already written it off tbh

westcoaster

Established Member
I suppose this is fine if you live south of Bedford and within commuting distance of Luton, St Albans, etc. Small comfort for those who live north of Bedford.
The pessimist in me tells me that 'glimmer of light' might be a train coming towards me:lol:

And there is where an issue lies, we have drivers living in Peterborough who may be shifted to St albans, and we have drivers who live in elsrtee whe may want to stay at bedford, there is two ways of sorting it out dropping a pin ( could cause a lot of ructions) or going by seniority ( most likely).

JohnFM

Jesus. Come on folks. No-one owes you anything.

Despite your protestations to the contrary you knew you would be in a talent pool and therefore the best would be chosen. You knew that. Some of you were moaning about this talent pool stuff 9 months ago.

Get on with your lives and live a life. If the call comes then, and only then, is it time to get a wriggle on.

Gordo

Despite your protestations to the contrary you knew you would be in a talent pool and therefore the best would be chosen. You knew that. Some of you were moaning about this talent pool stuff 9 months ago.

Get on with your lives and live a life. If the call comes then, and only then, is it time to get a wriggle on.

No we didn't. If you read what Bucko, RedZed, and myself have written we didn't know we were applying to be in a talent pool. We thought we were applying for a job. We weren't told until after we passed everything. After a year and a half of waiting, expectation, only planning 4 weeks in advance, we are definitely owed a proper explanation.

Robcuk

No mention of talent pool in my interview - I'd say that begun on here.

JohnFMs posts are always so positive - seems a totally fair topic of conversation to me and I would of thought most folk waiting.

A business plan is changing and people want to know where they stand.

Bucko

JohnFM has got his fishing rod out again.

We've come on here last few days to discuss the downsizing and potential movements of drivers and depots, and how it affects the Talent Pool.

We don't need another lecture

Dave999

Interesting read, GTR's plan to make their service better since breaching their contract. Includes the statement - a GTR spokesman said: “The remedial plan contains our commitment to make a considerable investment over and above our franchise agreement in the areas of driver recruitment and training, rolling stock reliability and performance improvement."

http://www.railmagazine.com/news/ne...n-issues-prompt-gtr-remedial-plan/image/13977

WDS2015

Interesting read, GTR's plan to make their service better since breaching their contract. Includes the statement - a GTR spokesman said: “The remedial plan contains our commitment to make a considerable investment over and above our franchise agreement in the areas of driver recruitment and training, rolling stock reliability and performance improvement."

http://www.railmagazine.com/news/ne...n-issues-prompt-gtr-remedial-plan/image/13977

So they are going to move existing drivers around then and tell depots that previously required 100 drivers they now only need 90

Sorted

Dave999

it really just confirms the issues with training, they aren't getting trainees through as fast as they had hoped. I'm more confident that there will be a bigger push in the training department after reading that.

Moving drivers is surely only a short term immediate fix, long term is more recruitment I'm thinking.

WDS2015

it really just confirms the issues with training, they aren't getting trainees through as fast as they had hoped. I'm more confident that there will be a bigger push in the training department after reading that.

Moving drivers is surely only a short term immediate fix, long term is more recruitment I'm thinking.

Hope your right Dave I really do

WDS2015

Wallicio

There is although it's clear they are being pushed to maintain trainee driver numbers (even if though the actual figure is censored) & section2.4 which tasks recruiting additional drivers which has to be encouraging

Section 2.4 ??????

Dave999

If the franchise was in the last year or 2 I would be more concerned but as it still has 5 years to run I should think they will do all they can to hit their targets.

Bucko

End of the day lads, people come on here regularly to tell us not to bother ringing or emailing HR, if there's anything to tell us, HR will call us.

So as none of us have heard owt, its business as usual.

Dusty1208

The way I look at it is they didn't suddenly wake up Monday morning and think we need to move drivers about, it would have been a long time planning as is the recruitment drive, I was also sent on my medical two weeks ago, I am sure that Trudy or someone from HR would let us know if and when there are changes....
No news is good news the old saying says :)

Bucko

The way I look at it is they didn't suddenly wake up Monday morning and think we need to move drivers about, it would have been a long time planning as is the recruitment drive, I was also sent on my medical two weeks ago, I am sure that Trudy or someone from HR would let us know if and when there are changes....

Hi Mate

Which depot are you in for if you dont mind me asking?

Dave999

I agree, nice to see things still moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.